Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Basement Slides

I was wondering if anyone has fabricated their own basement slides and how big of a job it was

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just starting to look into this on our Windsor. Expensive to buy outright so I have been searching for a supplier of the slide mechanisms themselves.

I have been looking at LEE VALLEY in Ottawa and they seem to be able to provide the hardware in 48" lengths but I have only looked in their catalog and have not had time to call yet.

Best I can do for you now.

Good luck.

abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
cwk

For DIY: Try searching for cabinet drawer slides. You will need to narrow it down to heavy duty, of course.

Here are a few pointers. These are to some manufacturer's websites. You will probably need to find a retail dealer for these. One type of place that *may* sell to individuals are cabinet supply houses (distributors). If they do, most of them are very knowledgeable. Just remember, they are in business to serve their commercial customers. So, if they are really busy at the counter, you might try returning when they have some more time to talk to you. It's nothing personal. It's just good business sense.

Also, the local distributors may NOT have these extra heavy duty and long sizes in stock. They may need to be ordered.

You many want to look around some of these websites as they offer a variety of different slides for different purposes.

Here is a heavy-duty locking slide from Knape & Vogt that will handle a drawer up to 48" wide and 60" long. This one mentions RV Vehicles as a possible application.
https://www.knapeandvogt.com/8908?

Another major player in the slide business is: Accuride. Here is one type.
https://www.accuride.com/en-us/produ...Lbs+-+1323+Lbs

There are probably others, but these are the two big companies that come to mind for this type of heavy duty application. I am pretty sure that you are NOT going to find what you need at a big box store.

Normally drawer slides mount to the left and right sides of a cabinet box. However, some companies offer accessories to adapt their slides to act as a "rollout" and mount to the floor of a cabinet box.

Whatever you do, be very sure that the slides are very securely fastened to the basement. Otherwise, when fully extended and with a heavy load, the entire assembly could rip itself right out. It sounds scary, and it should, but by simply securing it properly this can be easily avoided. In other words, don't expect a couple of 3/4" wood screws into the basement wood floor to hold 500 pounds of your stuff.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart2572 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has fabricated their own basement slides and how big of a job it was
It's not a bad job at all. If you are competent with a power saw and tools, you can make your own. I bought three sets of 500lb 36" heavy duty full extension drawer slides, one sheet of 5/8" plywood, some 1x pine and made three slide out trays for less than what one of the pre-made units cost. Total cost for all three was under $400. The trays are 32" wide x 44" deep and are fastened to the basement floor with simple angle brackets. I did not have to drill through the floor, just used screws into the plywood. And with twelve 3/4" sheet metal screws on each tray into the flooring plus I am not loading heavy items on the front of the tray, then screws into the plywood floor are plenty. By using the mounted rail that is 1" taller than the inside tray, the height above the floor is just right to clear the rims of the basement door openings.

Here is a link to the drawer slide source:
Heavy Duty Full Extension Slide 250 and 500 lbs On Orr & Orr, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideTray1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	127621   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideTray2.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	127622  

Name:	SlideTray3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	127623   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideTray-4.jpg
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	127624  

Name:	SlideTray-7.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	127625  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It's not a bad job at all. If you are competent with a power saw and tools, you can make your own.
Very nice! Great photos and the diagram is very helpful. Thanks for posting!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never want a Class A without storage bay slides! If I could figure out a way to build them, I would, but if not, I would do without something else if I had to in order to have them!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide