Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Basement storage ideas, would you mind sharing

I am hoping to get my basement under control and thought, it might be worth sharing unique ideas. My first item was to buy a 5 x 5 plastic fence post to store my sewer hose, and that has worked really well. I have a collapsible 14 foot ladder that currently lays flat in one of the bays and I'm going to build an angled tray to store the ladder vertically to free up more storage space.

I will take some pics as I upgrade the basement and hope you might be willing to share your ideas.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

I hope if you have not gotten a slide out tray for one of your basement compartments, that would be on your list. They offer great access and with the right sized storage containers they are great for organization.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I hope if you have not gotten a slide out tray for one of your basement compartments, that would be on your list. They offer great access and with the right sized storage containers they are great for organization.
And a bonus to slide out trays, is space remaining to hang things off of the basement bay sidewalls. (For example, the ladder might be hung on the side, and still allow the slide out tray to - well, slide out!

Lots of good info sharing on this forum, so stay tuned as other's toss suggestion's our way...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #4

As Smitty suggests, hanging things on walls is a prime way to not only get and be organised but, depending on how things are done and hung/shelved, it frees up a ton of space on the floor, of each compartment. I myself am not too much of a fan of sliding trays. They do have their benefits but, what many don't realize is, the trays themselves take up quite a bit of usable room. What one has to do is, calculate what's the best approach to a given compartment and, just what's gonna be stored/carried and, what's most used, most of the time.

In the pics below, you'll see how I goofed around and setup our compartments on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. I personally don't like a lot of stuff on the floors of compartments but, in RVing and even mildly traveling as we do, sometimes you don't always get what you want. If you're gonna have things like conveniences, chairs, tools, and heavier/bulkier stuff, ya can't "hang" that kind of stuff on walls.

But, for the small stuff, I created some shelves and brackets etc. to clear up needed floor space. See what you think.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	244300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	244301  

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	244302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	244303  

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	244304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	244305  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies everyone. Scott, thanks for the pictures, you've given me some ideas to think about.

I do have one sliding bay in the basement, oh, and the wife has the sliding cooler for her beer, lol. I think I'm going to pull stuff out of the basement and then think wall or floor, often needed or not. I hope others chime in because I'm sure this is a constant battle for all of us.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I so need to follow this thread.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
I so need to follow this thread.
Allan,
I did outfitting of brand new fire trucks for over 24 years as an overtime assignment. It was a great job that allowed lots of creativity and imagination. Plus, based on needs of components in terms of frequency of use and, weight, size and more of each individual set of components, tactical mounting and area placement was of prime concern.

So, this is where I get my experience from. Plus, it does two other things for me. It's a hobby and, it allows for very organised compartments. If I need something, ANYTHING, because I have a definite spot for about 99.999% of everything I carry, I can go right to it and not look through boxes, bins, and more, to find what I'm looking for. But, you can't always "hang" stuff or, shelf it. Some stuff is too bulky or large to hang or shelf, like CHAIRS and stuff like that.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The way the storage compartments were designed in my Southwind lended itself perfectly to installing a wire shelf.

Extra shelf space in storage compartments – 1999 Southwind 35S

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shelves_2_800.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	244437  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
As Smitty suggests, hanging things on walls is a prime way to not only get and be organised but, depending on how things are done and hung/shelved, it frees up a ton of space on the floor, of each compartment. I myself am not too much of a fan of sliding trays. They do have their benefits but, what many don't realize is, the trays themselves take up quite a bit of usable room. What one has to do is, calculate what's the best approach to a given compartment and, just what's gonna be stored/carried and, what's most used, most of the time.

In the pics below, you'll see how I goofed around and setup our compartments on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. I personally don't like a lot of stuff on the floors of compartments but, in RVing and even mildly traveling as we do, sometimes you don't always get what you want. If you're gonna have things like conveniences, chairs, tools, and heavier/bulkier stuff, ya can't "hang" that kind of stuff on walls.

But, for the small stuff, I created some shelves and brackets etc. to clear up needed floor space. See what you think.
Scott

OH GREAT my better half just saw how neat and tidy the storage can be... i thought i had it wired...but noooo

thanks for the fantastic pictures....next time please blurr them
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #10

Take half as much stuff and twice as much cash!
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #11

No need to reinvent... here's 250 Pgs of interesting mods.
Not all basement storage but many are storage related
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154379
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
No need to reinvent... here's 250 Pgs of interesting mods.
Not all basement storage but many are storage related
Tell others about your modifications - iRV2 Forums
I read the first few pages and not a thing about basement storage ideas. I guess that's why I asked for the basement specifically.

I realize that there is probably not a question that can be asked in this forum that hasn't already been asked. If I searched hard enough, if we all searched hard enough, we really wouldn't need to discuss a thing, but then again, what would we call it, IRV2 Info center, instead of forum.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

Check post 36 & 72 to start.
Here's another more storage specific
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414985
The Newmar section has some good storage ideas... some I've copied others are new & different.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #14

Drill holes in storage bays?

I have been looking at various methods of basement storage and how to limit movement of stuff in the storage bays. I see the information on sliding trays, hanging stuff on the walls, etc. I am a newbie so have a couple of stupid questions...Do you drill holes in the walls/floors of the storage bays to install the sliding trays or various types of hooks etc? If holes are drilled, it seems that would be a great way to allow moisture to get into the bays. Is it?
steve72352 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage