Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #1

Basic accessories for new diesel class A

Hi All,
I just bought my first DP 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. It did not come with many accessories. It does have the 2 electric adapters (30-50, and 30-120v) and 2 sets of levelers but nothing else, no potable water hoses, no "tool box", etc. So, what basics do I need and please include the brand name? I already have the Milton S-976 tire gauge on my list.

Thanks!
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #2

How much money you got?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
1)2 25 foot white water hoses

2)Water pressure reducer

3) 2 sewer hoses. I have a 10 and a 20 foot. I can put them together if needed.

4) Rv Toilet paper. Very important.

5) Toilet Chemicals. Even more important.

6) Extra set of fuel filters & Filter Wrench.

7) Coach Net road service plan.

8) Tool kit. I picked a small one from walmart with basics in it.

9) 6 foot ladder or a little giant ladder.

That all I can think of for now. I sure other will chime in.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

If you have a black tank flush you will want a separate garden hose for that.
A clear sewer adapter, allows you to see when the black tank is running clean when dumping.
Clorox wipes and paper towels near the wet bay.
Wine, red or white
Normal assortment of tools; screw drivers, crescent wrench, socket set, pliers, etc.
Rubber mallet.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

From a maintenance standpoint I can think of a few things you should keep with you in the MH.

1. Emergency Roadside Triangles. In case you have to pull off the side of the road you can put these out. Cost around $40.
2. Assortment of 12 volt fuses.
3. Multimeter and test light. Wire strippers, wire and assorted connectors are helpful.
4. Extra fuel filters. Engine, chassis and generator.
5. Set of various hand tools for doing light repairs/maintenance. Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc...
6. Duct tape, electrical tape and plastic tie-straps.
7. Extra quart or two of engine/transmission oil and a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze and a can of silicone spray.
8. Owners manual for the MH and all accessories. These will provide basic operations and trouble codes on items like the fridge, transmission or generator.

I'm sure others will have additional items to add. I'm providing this list based on experience and all of these items have prevented my camping trips from being a disaster. I also keep a spare tire, no wheel, in my basement storage. I discovered that my size tires are not easily gotten in rural areas of the country. Tire gauge is good to have, but why not get a 50' air hose so you can use it. In the bay that has all your fuses (drivers side, front) should be an air coupler. You can hook an air hose to it and fill up a low tire if needed. As you travel you will build your own list of needed items. Hope this gets you thinking of the items you might need. Good Luck
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
How much money you got?
Yep! This and how comfortable are with mechanical repairs.

I carry Camco electrical adapters. Everything from 15amp to 30amp to 50amp with all the adapters, male and female. I have 35' 50amp extension, a 25' 30amp extension, 100' 10 gauge, 50' 10gauge.

A 6 drawer tool box with enough to do routine maintenance. Spare fuel filters for engine and an annual maintenance kit for the Aqua Hot. Spare serpentine belt, fuel treatment additives for algae and freeze point depression/lubricity. almost 80' of white water hose, and a 50' grey water hose. Oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze for top up.

Not to mention patio rug, broom, air compressor and mouse traps.

You get the idea......sigh.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My wife's list is simpler than those listed so far....

just two of everything that's in the house
for a couple of trips I used the "we're overweight' line, but she saw the cat scale weights and looked up our chassis specs and called me out on it !!!!

don't rush out and buy a bunch of stuff though...
take a short shake down cruise in the driveway and spend the night there...
for critical things go in the house and note what it was so you can get one for the rv..
for non critical things, just put it on the to get list

enjoy !
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Volt meter, fire extinguisher for in back of coach, sewer hook ups like elbow and rubber seal I also have a cheap hose I use for sewer wash down and keep my others hoses for water use. Window squeegee and bucket. Credit card!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You do NOT need to spend extra money on RV toilet paper. Just make sure what you get says that it is septic safe and that is really not because of your holding tank it is because of where you may or may not be dumping. It is usually a septic tank that you dump into. By the way most toilet paper is septic safe.
As for chemicals that go into your holding tank, you really do not need those either, just make sure you actually use water when flushing and you should not have a problem. Don't forget some gloves for when you do dump thou.

Now as to what you want in YOUR motorhome? Do a spot of "camping" in your driveway. If you do that you can then go into the house to get what you need when you need it. Make a list if you need to so that you know the next time you take off what to pack so that you don't forget again.
As for tools? That is again debatable, it all depends on how much you are going to work on your own rig. If not much than getting a service like CoachNet would be good. If you are going to work on your rig for most things then again make a list when you need it and/or get a tool chest full of tools and take that with you. We have several tool cases, soldering iron, drill, etc as Thom does work on just about everything in here.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Things that will get you home if something minor fails.
-Assortment of wire ties
-Roll of electrical tape
-Spare fuses of assorted sizes and types
-Replacement light bulbs
-Air hose and inflator chuck if you have air brakes.
-Can of belt conditioner to deal with a slipping belt
-Can of WD 40
-Roll of duct tape
-Metal set, this will repair a lot of leaks or stick broke stuff together temporarily
-Several good LED flashlights
-4 mil plastic sheet to cover broken glass or ceiling fan covers temporarily

Tools commensurate with your skills and available storage space.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Wrenches and sockets, both standard and metric. I have two tool boxes set up, one being all standard and the other all mectric. One of those hand held power screw drivers and a cordless electirc dill. Assortment of screw driver bits to include square drive. I am not sure if they have been mentioned yet, but an assottment of screws and bolts.
Do not get in a rush to but everything all at once, as you will find that things will change. It seems that after each trip you will find something that neeeds to be fixed and somnething that was fixed while traveling. Keep track of what you 'used/needed' the most.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #12

Credit card, bourbon, good book.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I can't believe no one has mentioned a Progressive Industries Surge/Power Protector. Whether hard wired (link) or portable, I wouldn't have an RV without one.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned a Progressive Industries Surge/Power Protector. Whether hard wired (link) or portable, I wouldn't have an RV without one.

Lori-
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel