Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #1

this is a little off topic but while I have expert advice listening......my ford F53 chasis and trany have a habit of coming out of gear when the rpm gets up there. as example if I manually pull down into 3rd or 2nd to slow on steep grades, the engine revs up o.k. for a bit, but if the hill is long and the engine is asked to keep reving...it will come out of gear and I need to **** to neutral and back into 2nd to re-engage.

Is this normal or do I need a shop to set the trany different.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #2

this is a little off topic but while I have expert advice listening......my ford F53 chasis and trany have a habit of coming out of gear when the rpm gets up there. as example if I manually pull down into 3rd or 2nd to slow on steep grades, the engine revs up o.k. for a bit, but if the hill is long and the engine is asked to keep reving...it will come out of gear and I need to **** to neutral and back into 2nd to re-engage.

Is this normal or do I need a shop to set the trany different.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most transmissions will automatically upshift if the RPMs reach the over-rev threshold. This prevents damage to engine and transmission. You need to keep the engine RPMs down below the red line, using the service brakes if required to do so.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #4

When my situation happens, the trany disengages and seems to go into neutral and the engine rpm drops to idle. Go figure that.....I can't

gordon
Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #5

Gordon,

I think Gary has the answer ... FWIW ...about how high is the engine RPM when this happens ?

Rog
Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest calling Ford Motorhome Customer Assistance and ask if this is the designed-in behavior for an over-rev condition. They have an 800 number in the US - not sure bout Canada. Or ask a dealer - they should know.

All the trannies I know of simply upshift to the next gear if revs get too high, but if you have the newer Ford 5 speed auto it may do something different than the old ones I am familiar with. It's all electronic controls now, so the tranny shifting to neutral and telling the engine controller to go to idle speed is well within the possibilities.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #7

If I am reading your post ok, your tranny is coming out of gear on a down hill descent. I doubt if Ford would design any system that would do this. Mine sure doesn't do that, if it did, I would be on the phone to Ford Customer Service.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #8

That's what it feels like. but I'm not sure if it goes into neutral or is shifting up to a higher gear cause the engine stops reving. This happened on some very steep long grades and scared the "H" out of us. Did it 3 or 4 times in a two mile decent. Wished I had a manual trany at the time so I could feather the breaks and with both control the speed without overheating the brakes.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #9

Gordon 23: Even if your tranny shifted into a higher gear on decent, you would still have considerable RPM's on the tach. I can darn well imagine it scared the bejeebers out of you. I would not drive the coach until the problem is addressed by Ford. Post back and let us know what you found.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
That's what it feels like. but I'm not sure if it goes into neutral or is shifting up to a higher gear cause the engine stops reving. This happened on some very steep long grades and scared the "H" out of us. Did it 3 or 4 times in a two mile decent. Wished I had a manual trany at the time so I could feather the breaks and with both control the speed without overheating the brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What were the RPM's at the time? Up there is a bit vague. Having it upshift is usually better then throwing a rod or seizing the engine from redlining it. An engine lockup at high speed is a violent event and can send you wildly out of control. I have seen trucks poll vaulted over the guard rail when the drive shaft shears after this has happened. Realy would not want to personally experience that myself.

Keep it safe!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #11

I sure will.....right now the MH is sitting in the big freeze up here so not a threat.

Funny how everyone wants to know the exact rpm. At the time I was not looking at the tach, you can be darn sure of that. When I was relaxed later and had my wits, it wasn't in a situation that caused the unusual behaviour.

On the open road everyting works fine...even get good mileage ( 8 to 9 per)
Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
I sure will.....right now the MH is sitting in the big freeze up here so not a threat.

Funny how everyone wants to know the exact rpm. At the time I was not looking at the tach, you can be darn sure of that. When I was relaxed later and had my wits, it wasn't in a situation that caused the unusual behaviour.

On the open road everyting works fine...even get good mileage ( 8 to 9 per) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gordon,

It is not really funny because that is something that you should have been paying carefull attention to. It is critical especially when using engine braking on a large vehicle to make sure that you do not exceed max engine speed or the max vehicle speed allowed for the transmission gear range that you have selected. You blow your engine and lock up that drive line by overspeeding it going down a hill and you may end up wishing that you father had never met your mother.

Check you chassis manual and stay within the specs for engine rpm/road speed and what you experienced should never happen.

Keep it safe.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #13

At the time I know it did not over rev. I am quite certian of this as the engine revs higher than this when its pulling up a long grade in 3rd doing 35-40 mph.

The engine speed sounded normal down thru 3rd and into 2nd gear and held there each time. It seemed to be the prolonged back pressure that caused it to kick into neutral.