Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #15

If you haven't had any experience with engine brakes or any form of retarders, it would pay to read up on them too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
What color combo George?
The first Palazzo we saw had Galleria, Luxury Cherry with Autum Passage. we loved the unit, but wanted to see other colors. Thor dropped the Melrose Maple cabinets and Summer Pavilion exterior color. We then saw one with Cinnamon Shore/Vintage Maple/Granite Hill which we liked but now I will order (if I order) Galleria, Vintage Maple and Summer Song interior.

If spending this amount of money, I want what I want....I have always ordered my vehicles...some took 2-3 months to get, but I loved them when I got them. I can wait as this will be the last RV I buy.

My problem is my Bounder just fits our needs and runs like new. Okay, then why am I thinking/shopping for a Palazzo? Well, I am 80, have the money (our children have more $ than we do so I am not worrying about leaving them anything...we are going out broke) and I just want a DP before I go to the big BX in the sky!

We told this to the kids (50 and 52) and they laughed. Our son, with his MBA, said hell, Dad, take out as big a loan as you can on the house (paid for) and let the bank work it out at your funeral...ha ha

We will give the Bounder to our son, daughter is not interested, rather than try to sell it for 10-12K, which it it's wholesale value.

My local CW will order anything I want with a contract and $1,000. I am still thinking....getting ready to head to Illinois for a while in Hoppie, the Bounder. We also take Buster (African Grey Parrot) as our mascot. We have had him 29 years and he is a great part of the family. He is never locked up (except when we travel), is house broken and has full flight feathers and takes turns around the house for exercise. He is a real hoot.

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis

The first Palazzo we saw had Galleria, Luxury Cherry with Autum Passage. we loved the unit, but wanted to see other colors. Thor dropped the Melrose Maple cabinets and Summer Pavilion exterior color. We then saw one with Cinnamon Shore/Vintage Maple/Granite Hill which we liked but now I will order (if I order) Galleria, Vintage Maple and Summer Song interior.

If spending this amount of money, I want what I want....I have always ordered my vehicles...some took 2-3 months to get, but I loved them when I got them. I can wait as this will be the last RV I buy.

My problem is my Bounder just fits our needs and runs like new. Okay, then why am I thinking/shopping for a Palazzo? Well, I am 80, have the money (our children have more $ than we do so I am not worrying about leaving them anything...we are going out broke) and I just want a DP before I go to the big BX in the sky!

We told this to the kids (50 and 52) and they laughed. Our son, with his MBA, said hell, Dad, take out as big a loan as you can on the house (paid for) and let the bank work it out at your funeral...ha ha

We will give the Bounder to our son, daughter is not interested, rather than try to sell it for 10-12K, which it it's wholesale value.

My local CW will order anything I want with a contract and $1,000. I am still thinking....getting ready to head to Illinois for a while in Hoppie, the Bounder. We also take Buster (African Grey Parrot) as our mascot. We have had him 29 years and he is a great part of the family. He is never locked up (except when we travel), is house broken and has full flight feathers and takes turns around the house for exercise. He is a real hoot.
Go for it George !
We are planning on Cinnamon Shore, Summer Song, and Luxury Cherry. My wife is insistent on the colors she wants so we are waiting. Also I want a light color exterior due to living in the south.

We had a great African Grey that had a good vocabulary. She died while we were on a trip last year. If we had a MH then I am sure she would still be alive. Now we have a dog we rescued from the SPCA. She is lovable but can't say "see ya later" and "be careful" when I leave for work.

Back on topic, my brother thinks I am crazy for getting a DP and others think it unwise to pay for a new one. But if not now, then when and I figure I am following the maxim of buying my third RV first. And since I plan on having more than a few years left in me I want it to last (diesel) and have maximum driving comfort (rear engine, air bags, air brakes, stability).

So remember, he who hesitates is lost.

Jerry
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #18

George,

Since you're in Boerne I presume you're licensed in Texas. I believe the Palazzo has a GVWR of 26k. As long as you don't have a toad, you can get by with a Class C DL. However, since the GCWR is 30k if you're ever going to have any kind of toad I believe you'll need a Class B DL. If that's the case, then you'll need to learn all about that yellow button (air brakes) before taking your test.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would make this suggestion. Soon after purchasing your mh, enroll in a Camp Freightliner class conducted by Mike Cody. He'll teach you more than you will ever learn from a truck driving type class. One thing in particular, when the driver is having a heart attack the passenger needs to know to reach over and pull that yellow knob. The heart attack victim may not make it but pulling the yellow knob may save the passengers life. He takes the class for a ride and pulls the yellow knob at about 55 mph and the truck comes to a smooth straight stop. Each of you need to let your passenger(s) know about this life saving technique.

Camp Freightliner
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
George, there are actually schools for RV owners. They teach you driving, care, how to judge heights etc. My wife found one in Dallas. We haven't been yet but we plan to. She is out of town right now but I will try to get info for you.

Tk
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #21

Thanks folks. All good suggestions. I will call the local huge Freightliner dealer and see what they have to offer.

Jerry, we like that light color but like the dark too. We hava barn for parking so it won't sit in the sun when not running. The dirt does not show as much either...ha ha

I am sorry your lost your "Grey". Buster was less than a year old when we got him...and he is a one person bird. I can give him treats and stuff, but NOT touch him...he comes to my wifes chair and sits on his perch to get his head scratched. He knows lot of words. Each morning when the coffee is ready he flies over to the wifes arm, she holds him over the watebasket and he says "squat" and does his morning thing. He then has a snack on the kitchen island and later flies back to his perch, goes in and has a drink of fresh water and is ready for the world.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #22
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
the passenger needs to know to reach over and pull that yellow knob. The heart attack victim may not make it but pulling the yellow knob may save the passengers life. He takes the class for a ride and pulls the yellow knob at about 55 mph and the truck comes to a smooth straight stop. Each of you need to let your passenger(s) know about this life saving technique.

Camp Freightliner
Never knew that -- thank you for passing it along
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #23

Jerry writes: Back on topic, my brother thinks I am crazy for getting a DP and others think it unwise to pay for a new one. But if not now, then when and I figure I am following the maxim of buying my third RV first. And since I plan on having more than a few years left in me I want it to last (diesel) and have maximum driving comfort (rear engine, air bags, air brakes, stability).

Jerry, I stopped listening to folks when my stock broker (ex) said don't buy Micorsoft 35 years ago as it would never last!

There are several reasons I buy new vs. used. 1) I don't trust used. 2) I have the money. 3) I get what I want or I don't buy. 4) I never take another persons opinion on what I should or should not do. If I make a mistake, I live with it, not them. I listen to them and am respectful of their thoughts...think about their advice somewhat and do as I think best or want to do just because I want to do it...like buying a Palazzo.

My only problem is I don't "need" a new motorhome....but I want one...ha ha
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So I did some looking and it seems like it was rvschool.com. That will show you locations they are at and also events they will be at.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #25

I may be missing the point, but I don't see where I would need a "driving school". I have had three motorhomes and my present one is 34'11" and 12' high. The Palzzzo is 34.5 and under 12'. I will need a checkout on the operation a diesel. I have a friend with a 42' DP who said he would check me out anytime. He has been a diesel owner for many years. I would also pick up info on a checkout by CW, my dealer.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #26

George, just a comment on the "idling before shutting down issue." DH and I once worked for a public transit agency driving transit buses. Several years ago, the agency focused on what is now the trend to cut down on engine idling. Decades ago, it was once common practice to idle diesel engines to both warm them up and also to let the turbo cool before shutting down. In those days, transit buses were warmed up at least ten minutes and it was recommended to let them idle for at least three minutes before shutting down. However, the agency's mechanical department put out statements and conducted classes on why traditional idling procedures are no longer necessary with today's modern diesel engines.

Today's procedure at the agency is to not let the engine idle more than 10-seconds before shutting it down but in most cases, shut the engine down immediately after parking. They also do not want the engine "warmed up" before driving it away. So, for instance, once the engine is started, the air system shows normal, the oil pressure shows normal, and all other things being normal, the bus should be driven away in a "non-spirited" manner for the first several minutes. Once the coolant and transmission temperatures approach the normal range, it is then okay to drive in a normal fashion. These procedures not only save fuel but reduce emissions (what little emissions are now given off in today's diesels). They also claim and stress that it does not generate extra maintenance costs by reduced idling.

Here's part of an explanation used by the agency from an excerpt by VT DEC and idlefreevt.org:

“Most diesel engines are turbocharged. Years ago, there were concerns about potential seizing of turbocharger bearings when engines were shut off immediately after extreme high rpm, high load operation. The seizure of the bearings was caused by oil “coking” which in turn, was caused by excessive internal turbocharger temperatures that occurred as a result of hard operation and the fact that they aren’t lubricated after they stop turning. Turbocharger manufacturers have long since resolved these problems with a variety of improved designs such as water-cooled center housings and improved bearing assemblies. Most turbocharger manufacturers will tell you that this potential problem no longer exists. However, as you know, to be conservative, some engine manufacturers still recommend a brief (3 to 5 minute) idle period immediately after high rpm, high load operation, before shutting off the engine. Most on-road diesel trucks (regardless of class) are rarely operated under any sort of sustained high rpm high load conditions. Non-road diesel equipment (like that used in the heavy construction industry) is more likely to operate under those conditions. Remember that a given diesel engine sold by an engine manufacturer can end up in a wide variety of on-road and non-road
vehicles or equipment, so the engine manufacturer’s recommendations must cover the most extreme scenario.

So in summary, 1) this really isn’t a problem under virtually any circumstances anymore, 2) even if it was, it generally wouldn’t apply to on-road diesels because they’re usually not operated under extreme high rpm high load conditions, and 3) even the most conservative recommendations are to idle only for a few minutes after extreme operating conditions –so if drivers really believe they need to do that, it would still be an improvement assuming they eliminate all their other unnecessary idling.”

Also an added plus in the transit industry is noise. How many of you would like to hear an idling transit bus near your house when the bus might be at a layover? ...especially early in the morning or late at night? Many years ago, lots of complaints came from residents who live by the route terminals that drivers were idling buses unnecessarily. Now this isn't a problem and the bus driver will get in trouble if getting a complaint for idling an engine. Same thing could apply to RVers in campgrounds. Who likes the guy who idles his diesel pusher for 30-minutes to "warm it up?" Or, lets it idle for 15-minutes to cool it down when settling into a campground? It's unnecessary, wastes fuel, and adds to pollution.

You will notice that companies such as UPS and many others have also adopted non-idling policies. You'll see UPS trucks shut their diesels down immediately upon coming to a stop for a delivery and the driver will not start the engine until ready to drive off. Also, in many states, governmental agencies now have rules and policies for idling engines. Both UPS and Fedex claim that the added strain on starters and electrical systems from engine starting and shutting off are negligible compared to the fuel saving advantages.

Whew! ...so anyway, no, you don't need to let the engine idle upon shutting it down unless you were coming into a rest stop right after negotiating a steep mountain pass while you were hauling an extremely heavy trailer, then you might want to let the engine idle for a few minutes.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis
I may be missing the point, but I don't see where I would need a "driving school". I have had three motorhomes and my present one is 34'11" and 12' high. The Palzzzo is 34.5 and under 12'. I will need a checkout on the operation a diesel. I have a friend with a 42' DP who said he would check me out anytime. He has been a diesel owner for many years. I would also pick up info on a checkout by CW, my dealer.
George,
Are you planning on going to Camp Freightliner to get all the details of diesel and chassis O&M?

Jerry
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep, yellow is the air brake, my system is, cool down 3-5 minutes according to cummins for my diesel. Always try to keep it at three, idling is not Cummins friend you will induce soot as others have mentioned. Air down, jacks down, we are auto level, found it best to pull water hose, elec and sewer out before slides out, and last slides out. Hook up, sit back have a cold one, most of all have fun! Ps. Pays to have a braking system in your toad, safer, and many states require this system.