Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Basic DP Questions

I am seriously looking at a Thor Palazzo DP. I had a very extensive tour by a salesman (ex 18 wheel driver) and he knew what he was talking about. He went through many "DP" things and I learned a lot...but forgot several things...maybe you can help refresh my memory.

1) Below and left of the steering column is a yellow knob that you pull to...? parking brake? fuel shutoff?

2) After driving a while and stopping to refuel, look at the scenery, etc, do you let the engine idle a few minutes to cool before shut down?

3) You stop for the night...the pad is uneven....do you dump, jacks down and then slide out? In that order?

I have had two class C's and one class A, no diesel or slides so this DP with slides will be new to me. Thanks for any info.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

1. That's the parking brake. It dumps the air in the rear brake chambers and sets the spring brake. DPs don't have a park position in the transmission, only neutral.
  2. Always a good idea, particularly if you've just come off a hard pull. I've heard it prevents "coking" in the turbo. As for me, if I've been cruising around the campground looking for a site, I shut down as soon as I'm settled.
  3. A lot of discussion here. I always dump, level then open slideouts. The other school of thought is to open the slideouts, then dump, then level. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but something about the chassis being "at rest". I'll continue to do it the old way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
I am seriously looking at a Thor Palazzo DP. I had a very extensive tour by a salesman (ex 18 wheel driver) and he knew what he was talking about. He went through many "DP" things and I learned a lot...but forgot several things...maybe you can help refresh my memory.

1) Below and left of the steering column is a yellow knob that you pull to...? parking brake? fuel shutoff?

2) After driving a while and stopping to refuel, look at the scenery, etc, do you let the engine idle a few minutes to cool before shut down?

3) You stop for the night...the pad is uneven....do you dump, jacks down and then slide out? In that order?

I have had two class C's and one class A, no diesel or slides so this DP with slides will be new to me. Thanks for any info.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

I have 1996 Georgie with "auto park feature" wondering how it works. Manual kind of don't explain clear.
Gormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's the way I do it. JUST DON'T PUT THE JACKS DOWN, BEFORE YOU DUMP! The coach will "settle" and sometimes move forward, that movement can sometimes bend one or more jacks $$$$$$. If you should put the jacks down before you dump, just stay that way, or bring the jacks up and start over. I speak from experience!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
My manuals all say, dump, level left or right then fore and aft. Lower only fore and/or aft to stabilize if any did not go down already. Then extend slides. Never operate levels with slides out as it may bend things. On leaving, slides in, levelers up, air up.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Best advice I have to offer regarding dumping, jacking, and sliding....do whatever YOUR manual tells you to do. Each manufacturer has a different chassis/slide/support system....trust the engineers that developed your coach. And, no, it is not always intuitive. I would think one would always level before sliding, but our Holiday Rambler insists on sliding before leveling. I figure the experts know better than I.
bmcfaror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post

1. Yep, parking brake.
2. Cummins says just running down an off ramp is enough cool down time unless you just pulled the Grapevine at WOT.
3. That entirely depends on what your manufacturer says, some are extend the slideouts then level, ours is exactly what you say.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
1. Yep, parking brake.
2. Cummins says just running down an off ramp is enough cool down time unless you just pulled the Grapevine at WOT.
3. That entirely depends on what your manufacturer says, some are extend the slideouts then level, ours is exactly what you say.
Totally agree.... Suggest that if you do decide to purchase an air brake equipped DP....do yourself a favor & take an air brake course from a reputable heavy equipment school.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the information and suggestions. Oh, I will read the manuals, ie tech orders in the Air Force, ha ha. Just wanted to get a general idea of operating the beast. Thanks to all. Still thinking about the Thor Palazzo.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #10

Times 2 on the suggestiion to take an air brake course. They will tell you all about the yellow button - when Not to push or pull it. We have a Palazzo and somewhere in the briefcase of manuals I read; dump air, level jacks then slide. I love the automatic leveler. Push a button and it jigs around for about 30 seconds and then a green light comes on in the middle of your control panel and you're level. Sure beats running around with my electric drill lowering stabalizers in the rain with my old trailer.
I took a practical driving lesson with a commercial driving instructor just after getting the Palazzo. He said I only need to idle for 10 - 20 seconds to cool the engine down,

On our second trip with the Palazzo. Absolutely love it. Everything still working well. Sitting at the waters edge looking over the inside passage on Vancouver Island watching cruise ships go by.

Good luck if you decide to purchase one.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
First off what you are cooling down is the turbo. The cool down period is something that you might want to consult your manual with also. My unit is a Cat and it says to idle for 2 minutes after cruising before shutdown.

I have the VSpec system that lets me look at the actual temp of the intercooler which helps, but I still try to follow the recommended cool down time.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom65 View Post
Times 2 on the suggestiion to take an air brake course. They will tell you all about the yellow button - when Not to push or pull it. We have a Palazzo and somewhere in the briefcase of manuals I read; dump air, level jacks then slide. I love the automatic leveler. Push a button and it jigs around for about 30 seconds and then a green light comes on in the middle of your control panel and you're level. Sure beats running around with my electric drill lowering stabalizers in the rain with my old trailer.
I took a practical driving lesson with a commercial driving instructor just after getting the Palazzo. He said I only need to idle for 10 - 20 seconds to cool the engine down,

On our second trip with the Palazzo. Absolutely love it. Everything still working well. Sitting at the waters edge looking over the inside passage on Vancouver Island watching cruise ships go by.

Good luck if you decide to purchase one.
Well, I never heard of an "air brake course" or a "commercial driving instructor" giving you instructions on driving your Palazzo. I thought that was for a CDL...neat. I will look into this. There are CDL training schools here in San Antonio...I will call around...maybe they have these courses.

I am reading that Palazzo owners like their units and little is going wrong. One or two hicups, but only one major engine failure and Cummins stepped up to the plate on that one...replacing the engine....

Hey, post your feelings and thoughts on your Palazzo. How does it handle and ride on the Interstate and smaller roads? I have never had air ride and think we would like that feature....I guess most DP have air ride....don't know much about the diesel world...but will learn from you folks...the users.

I think I will buy a 33.1, but wish to buy from my local CW. They gave me the best price and have treated me VERY WELL. I will need to place an order with them as they seem to only get one at a time and I want a certain color combination and willing to wait for it.

Thanks again and keep posting your thoughts. Have fun.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What color combo George?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #14

I took my air brake course from a commercial driving school. There were 22 of us in the course. 3 of us were diesel RV owners, 1 fireman, and the rest were going to be commercial truckers (after much more instruction). The practical driving was not required by law, but something I wanted to do so I felt safe driving. Well worth it for me. It was given by a commercial driving instructor who started doing it on the side but found there was enough demand that he opened his own school.

Love driving the Palazzo. Don't have anything to compare it to as this is the fist class A I've driven.