Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Basic Electrical questions

Pardon my ignorance but I am new to the RV world and trying to make sense of things I am reading.

Surge protectors:
I have a TRC Surge Guard/Transfer Switch Model 41260 in the basement. Is it redundant or necessary to also have an additional protector such as the Progressive Industries? If so, what is the benefit or the hard wired over the portable besides theft protection?

Trickle Chargers:
While parked at home, I run a 50ft (12/3) extension cord outside from my garage outlet that is on a 20A breaker. I thought the Magnum remote monitored the battery/inverter to maintain battery charge? I this redundant or necessary?

Thanks for reaching down low to help a novice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

MANZFAM I am not familiar with your surge protector, but the progressive unit I cant remember the model has several features besides surge protection. It monitors many parameters . low voltage - high voltage - reverse polarity - frequency - correct ground condition and several others beside surge protection.
The advantage for hard wired unit is as you stated theft proof but most of all you can have a monitor inside the rv to monitor all the parameters being checked. One big advantage of the stand alone units is that it can be plugged into the post and check the to make sure it is good before plugging in. One other if anything happens like low volage happens the inside monitor will alert you to this. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The TRC 41260 provides for basic surge protection plus reverse polarity and open neutral. The Progressive Industries unit additionally provides for over/under voltage cutoff, which is very important. Also provides a time delay before restoring power after a disruption or outage. I would suggest to add the progressive unit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

FWIW I would not bother running the Progressive and the TRC. It really depends where you hang out. We have never been bothered by low or high voltage issues. Some folks are. A simple meter plugged into an outlet will tell you the line voltage at a glance.

Assuming the Magnum includes an AGS your shore cord prevents it from starting the generator periodically. Either way it keeps your house batteries topped off. You also probably have a BIRD system or similar to keep your engine batteries up. You need to keep both up. I would check my batteries with a DVM periodically to make sure. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

f you have a mgnum, I would not bother with trickle charger. The magnum will do what is necessary to keep your batteries topped off.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Get the EXACT specifications of the unit you are considering and the EXACT specs for the unit in the coach. Compare and then decide. My Tiffin came with a built in protector too, but when I compared the two, I went with the Progressive. I had to call Tiffin to get the exact specs on the unit in the Bus, but when I finally got it there wasn't any doubt which way I was going to go.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical