Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club

We're starting with the former...slowly leading to the latter! (down the road). Trying to buy "our last coach, first".

Also curious about collapsing ladders that I'm hearing are common in basements. How often are you all getting up on your roofs?

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
-Have two large bays, with slides. Yes, some lost height storage, but would not be without them.
-On half bay pass thru. No slide. Works well for outside carpet, step ladder, and other long items. With careful packing, I can also store the emergency flashers, small ramps, wood, etc. to one side. These are items not taken out very oftern at all, with exception of the ladder, which is the 'dividing' piece.
-We are at 40', with tag, and frankly would like to have another bay of storage. The Catch22 of the tag's extra CCC capacity, is that lost of storage space to use it! A 42-45' usually gets you the extra bay that may be missing in a a 40'.

It is surprising how non heavy items can really jam a bay storage up quickly. Chairs for example, take lots of room but have very little weight.

I would not change what we have done. We went with the 40' for pur home parking when not un use, and it sticks out just a bit more then is legal...So for now, with this home storage area - 40' is our max...

Suggest you decide how you will use your coach, make your Pro's and Con's list - and decide what works best for you.

Best of luck, have fun, be safe,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Entegra Owners Club
Look at the net carrying capacity. We may have a huge basement but besides a few essentials would be overweight if filled.
Rich USN-Ret & Cindy, Austin TX,
2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42RBQ
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 27,500 GVWR. When we bought it, I spent so much time making sure the vehicle was sound, I neglected to check the GVWR. I have been reluctant to get it weighed, but I suppose I will soon, before we full time. I'm going to try and limit the basement stuff to chairs, table, grill, ladder, compressor, some basic tools, and some cleaning supplies. I am not able to do much work anyway, so it might not matter.

I guess I should get it weighed huh?
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Back in the 70's when I was planning my first long motorcycle trip I was advised to take half of what I thought I needed and twice as much money I thought I needed. Seems to be good advice for RVers too as I've found out.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
MarkofSJC asked "Also curious about collapsing ladders that I'm hearing are common in basements. How often are you all getting up on your roofs?"

I carry a couple of the collapsing ladders, not for getting up on the roof but for getting to high things on the front, rear or sides of the RV such as the top of the windshield, windows, the top removable panel to the refer, etc. Seems like there is always something up high that needs to be addressed.
Richard and Laura Mae
2007 Monaco Camelot/2003 Jeep Rubicon or 2006 Jeep Commander
From the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico
Jeep trekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
You have to have room for spares. Murphy dictates if you have a spare alternator,fan belt,fuses whatever, you won't need them. But if you leave them behind,or don't take that special tool you're screwed.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have lots of extra room. I keep eliminating the 'stuff' we don't use by emptying the basement every spring, and getting rid of what we do not use.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote