Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question Basment Storage in 40 ~ 45' What's Really Needed?

It's a newbie question, but I keep circling back to it.

We're looking at 40 ~ 45' DP and everything we see seems to have both gigantic amounts of basement space as well as CCC ratings around 5,000+lbs. I'd love to hear opinions on the following;

1) Regardless of how much basement space you have, is it common for you to fill it? If so, is that common or just every now and then?

2) Do you feel sliding trays make a huge difference in what/how you use your basement storage? Are electric powered slides a big deal over manual slide trays?

3) Other than volume, do you really haul a lot of weight in there? Sure a tool chest, maybe a BBQ...but what else?

4) What do you think is "essential" to keep in your basement?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #2

On my second DSDP. The basement of each is filled. Of course for us, there are the x-pens and other dog stuff for the shows but in addition, we carry a ladder, a compressor, tools, emergency flairs and triangles, two shade tents, a grill and charcoal (I like the flavor better than gas), pads for the levelers, carts for carrying stuff to the shows, lawn chairs, used to have a hammock and an electric scooter but never used them so leave them home now. My previous coach did not have any sliding trays, this coach ahs two. My comments are, I love the sliding trays, but it takes away from the amount and size of stuff you can store down there. I could put more stuff in but usually, after several trips, if I have not used something, I look at it very carefully, and may leave it home.

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

Add in a 14' inflatable boat, fully licensed boat trailer (disassembled of course), a LOT of fishing reels, lures, and such, lots of screws, nuts, bolts, fire extinguishers, oil change gear, extra lubes, antifreeze, hose clamps, 20t hydraulic jack, full set of tire tools, 4' long 600 ft-lb torque wrench, tarps, exterior rugs, saw, axe..... Well, you get the idea.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

just like a storage closet or garage. they will be overflowing in no time if you allow it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's un-American not to fill every sq inch with seldom used "camping" eqpmt.
I took the slideout out of my new MH because it was cumbersome to use, weigh too much, and reduced the height of what could be put in there; that one slide must weigh 200#. I have a 7' fiberglass ladder that I can't even get out now.
Every spring I have to go in there and clean out all the useless stuff, so I get room for my new useless stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

I guess you get the idea as far as how much stuff one can pack around. The more you pack, the less chance there is of stuff shifting. Besides, it takes stuff to travel properly.
However, IMHOp, slides are the answer. I have three manual pull out slides that I installed because I got tired of crawiling around on my hands and knees trying to dig stuff out of the basement. In the areas where I don't have slides, I have plastic tubs, the kind with wheels under them.
Man invented the wheel / bearing to improve his lot in life and by god I'm going to take advantage of that at every turn. I hate those little stones that stick my knee caps.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

We love having the slides. Could we live without them? Sure. But it's nice not to have to be down on your knees reaching back in there...

Steve
Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
just like a storage closet or garage. they will be overflowing in no time if you allow it.
Yep, stuff expands to fill available space.

Ladder, toolbox, jack pads, compressor, Weber BBQ, extra jugs of DEF, wash/wax supplies, x-pens for the dogs, EZ-Ups for the dog owners, folding chairs, excess soft drinks and beer that don't fit in the Fridge.

I have a used spare tire that is taking up space in the garage waiting for room under the MH if/when we ever take that trip up the AlCan but have no idea where I will put it. Certainly can't leave the beer behind!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #9

Mark, items will vary based on your plans of usage.
Weekend warrior type use will most likely not require the same goodies as a full timer or a snow birder
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Would not be without my slides. Came with full slide that pulls out either side. I added a 1/2 slide and left 1/2 without on the other half of the basement. Really saves packing and unpacking. I use the engine compressor for air. My little giant ladder is attached to my rear ladder so no room needed for that. I have an ice chest, tools, chairs, portable satellite dish, windshield cover, patio mat, window cover, awning shade.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Allways room for 1 more thing but typically not completly full. Need to manage what you use vs what you think you would use - personal thing.

A slide is the most practical way to access our edge star 63qt frige/freezer.

Things we would not be without in the basement-
safety markers, tools, wood pads, spare fluids/oils/filters, car battery charger, 30' 50a extension cord, spare water hose, spare light bulbs/fuses, jumper cables for the toad, folding "gp logistics" double step 7' ladder, awning pull/lock rod, sewer hose.

Things we keep in the basement-
cleaning fliuds/towels/poles/end effectors, lawnchairs & foot stools & end tables, patio mat, entrance mat, black tank additive, waste basket, grill, coolers, 110v extension cords, toad brake/tow bar/cables/locks, combination lock box with spare key mounted in the LP bay, many rubbermaid roughneck tubs, pool noodles, spare sewer hose extensions.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #12

We have one bay with a slide the rest without. I like the slide. The only down side is everything you put in it has to be low enough to go under the rails inside. Not a big deal but has made me scatch my head a couple times.
What you carry with depends on what you use your RV for. We fulltime so we certainly carry stuff down there now that we didn't when we were weekend campers.
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
All good answers above. I would add:

Slide trays are awesome, but yes, they aren't the right solution for everything. We have one full slide tray (goes to either side as needed), and the other "full" bay is blocked on one side by Oasis hydronic heater, so no slide, and we can put items needing extra height in there. We have way more storage space and CCC than we've ever used, but I very much appreciate NOT having to pack so carefully and efficiently.

CCC is far greater if you have a tag axle, but the tradeoff is less cubic feet of basement space for a given length. (This is only an issue if you are comparing, say, a 40' coach with tag vs. the same length without. Anything 42' and over will have a tag axle.) Of course, if you go with a 42+' tag axle coach, you have an abundance of both. Conversely, some 40' non-tags are so near weight limits on one or both axles that you may have plenty of space available, but so little CCC that you can't fill it. Look carefully at the numbers for any coach you consider.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
It's a newbie question, but I keep circling back to it.

We're looking at 40 ~ 45' DP and everything we see seems to have both gigantic amounts of basement space as well as CCC ratings around 5,000+lbs. I'd love to hear opinions on the following;

1) Regardless of how much basement space you have, is it common for you to fill it? If so, is that common or just every now and then?

2) Do you feel sliding trays make a huge difference in what/how you use your basement storage? Are electric powered slides a big deal over manual slide trays?

3) Other than volume, do you really haul a lot of weight in there? Sure a tool chest, maybe a BBQ...but what else?

4) What do you think is "essential" to keep in your basement?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Mark
Are you going to live full time in your moho, or will it be for vacation use?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage