Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Bathroom Faucet Replacement

My wife would like me to replace the bathroom faucet this winter while the coach is in storage. Unfortunately, I can't see the connections because the sink is in the way. It "feels" like there are two circular plates with nuts holding the faucet on the counter top. It also "feels" like the faucet has 1/2" copper tubing coming down that connects to the plastic supply lines.

Has anyone had a similar setup and replaced the faucet with a residential version? My concerns is the water connection since the residential version has a 1" threaded pipe that protrudes through the counter and how to get the length correct as well as the connections/adapters that might be required for re-connection to the coach fitting.

Since I can't actually see anything at this point I am looking for some guidance as to how big a mess I might get into taking this on.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing bathroom faucets can be a real booger! I replaced one at home and it took forever to get that thing out!

I'm told that there is a special wrench for that purpose. I plan to replace two faucets in the MH bathrooms and will check that out before attempting it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replaced mine - actually a very easy job about an hour
Mine was the typical 4" dual handle faucet
Really Nice to get rid of that junk plastic thing that came with the rig
Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
The tool you need is called a faucet wrench.
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Bathroom Faucet Replacement

Replace the sink while your at it, mount the faucet first, you can see what your doing, then glue the sink in the hole and your done
About 1/2. Hour job.....
Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
The tool you need is called a faucet wrench.
I've always called that a basin wrench...but yeah, that's what is needed and there are youtubes on how to use them.

TEKTON 2672 12-Inch Basin Wrench - Adjustable Wrenches - Amazon.com
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

More concerned with attaching the coach pipes to the new faucet since it appears the connection is different.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My wife would like me to replace the bathroom faucet this winter while the coach is in storage. Unfortunately, I can't see the connections because the sink is in the way. It "feels" like there are two circular plates with nuts holding the faucet on the counter top. It also "feels" like the faucet has 1/2" copper tubing coming down that connects to the plastic supply lines.

Has anyone had a similar setup and replaced the faucet with a residential version? My concerns is the water connection since the residential version has a 1" threaded pipe that protrudes through the counter and how to get the length correct as well as the connections/adapters that might be required for re-connection to the coach fitting.

Since I can't actually see anything at this point I am looking for some guidance as to how big a mess I might get into taking this on.
There should be a plastic fitting on the end of the flexible PEX supply lines that screws onto a fitting at the end of the copper tubing. If yours has something different, then adapters are available at HD, Lowes, etc.

Yes, normally there is a large nut (usually plastic) at the top to clamp the faucet in place. I've replaced my bathroom faucet twice, the first time with an inferior cheap replacement that I had to change out again a year later. I have a basin wrench but didn't need it as the attachment nuts had "ears" and were only hand tight. A basin wrench can be difficult to grip onto a flat, thin nut so channel lock pliers sometimes work better. It took maybe 15 minutes max each time to do the job.

I would suggest removing the old faucet and taking it to a store to compare fittings, attachment, etc to make sure you get the right replacement.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

Most faucets are made the same way underneath the counter top. Go to your favorite big box hardware store and look at how that part works and it will give you a clue what you are feeling.

The gotcha I recall from a kitchen sink was the tubing attachment. Then it depends on how the water gets into the faucet. The major issue is if you can pull the stem nuts without disconnecting the water hoses. If you can then pull the stem nuts lift up the faucet to get to the tubing connections if possible. IF not possible I cut the pex and used two sharkbite splices when I did our kitchen on the last MH. It also helps a lot if the sink is separate so you can pull it for access. If it is molded into the counter top you have my sympathy. ;-)
Old 11-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #10

It's molded.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
When I changed mine, the shelves in the cabinet under the sink were only held in by staples and were easily removed. Good access to the plumbing....Replaced staples with screws when replacing shelves. (no plumbing adapters needed)

Hope you are as fortunate.....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Might want to look into the "Basin Buddy". You use a socket wrench and extension with it for those tough nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tool-...0Y0NVRT3N5N5EC
Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
When I changed mine, the shelves in the cabinet under the sink were only held in by staples and were easily removed. Good access to the plumbing....Replaced staples with screws when replacing shelves. (no plumbing adapters needed)

Hope you are as fortunate.....
I was thinking I need to likely pull the shelf and the door since the door when open can bang against the shower stall. I may stick my camera in there on my next visit to take a couple of photos and get a better idea of what is there and what holes are in the counter top.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Might want to look into the "Basin Buddy". You use a socket wrench and extension with it for those tough nuts.

Superior Tool 03825 Basin Buddy - Adjustable Wrenches - Amazon.com
Thanks, there are some other interesting tools on that page as well.

Tags
replace, replacement