Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Bathroom GFI Plug in on my 99 Diplomat

Hi there, could anyone help me with this. I recently purchased this beautiful bus and the only problem I seem to have is that my GFI plug above my bathroom sing keeps tripping (wont stay on). I have now discovered that this plug rules many others including my tv's.... could anyone offer some trouble shooting advise? would be much appreciated.
I have recently bought a new GFI plug in hoping that the old one may just be weak.
Thank you
md99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by md99 View Post
Hi there, could anyone help me with this. I recently purchased this beautiful bus and the only problem I seem to have is that my GFI plug above my bathroom sing keeps tripping (wont stay on). I have now discovered that this plug rules many others including my tv's.... could anyone offer some trouble shooting advise? would be much appreciated.
I have recently bought a new GFI plug in hoping that the old one may just be weak.
Thank you
Does that GFCI trip only on shore power or does it trip on generator power?.....and/or inverter power?
Post again if it continues to trip AFTER you replace your GFCI with the new one.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

Hi Mel and thanks for your response.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

I will try the gen tonight and reply back. I installed new GFI while on house plug and it set but popped when what seemed to be the condensor on the fridge kicked in? not sure. The problem still seems to be there but with the new GFI plug being new it seems to take longer for it to trip I am thinking
Old 04-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok there is a chance the GFCI needs replacement but here is a suggested procedure

First UNPLUG everything... IF the unit now holds plug things back in one device at a time... Eventually you may hear a click.. If you do label that device SUSPECT #1 Unplug it, re-set and continue till again it goes CLICK

Suggestion 1st thing to plug in is TV.. That way you can turn it on and if you fail to hear the CLICK well you might notice the silence from the TV speakers.

IF the GFCI fails to hold with everything unplugged unplug from shore power and step outside... Remove the cover from the patio outlet.

Full of water.. Clean, Dry, Replace, Re-seal plug in an reset GFCI
IF it holds.. problem solved.

Dry INSPECT and re-seal

Then go into RV and pull GFCI,, inspect connections

Two sets of wires hook up to it IN and OUT,, Identify OUT and disconnect Cap or tape off Plug in and re-test If it holds you have a job on your hands (Post and we will cover it) IF it fails.. Replace GFCI. and re-test

NOTE you must plug in to re test but UNPLUG before messing with wires.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
MD99, Sounds like you may have narrowed it down to the frig.

How old is the frig? Look at the plugs and outlets to make sure they aren't wet or have any signs of corrosion on them.

I don't think I would bypass the GFCI, but I would probably either get an isolation transformer for the frig (these might cost more than a new frig)

Or possibly run a new outlet circuit from your panel to specifically feed the frig, i.e. add a new outlet.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

2 times my GFI started tripping replaced it the first time with the same results GFI not bad. Did the unplug everything test found the trouble to be in the ice maker in my Norcold bad heating element. Second time frost build up on ice maker wouldn't let motor run to pop out ice cubes. First place I would start is unplug the ice maker in the back of the fridge
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

Md99,
A refrigerator shouldn't be plugged into a GFI receptical. On my Diplomat there are two plugs behind the refrigerator, one for the Ice maker that goes through the inverter and the other for the refrigerator. If you have two plugs, determine which one is on the same circuit with the bathroom GFI and switch it to the other plug. If you only have one plug and it goes through the bath GFI, I would run another receptical not on the GFI to power the refrigerator. Good luck!
Chuck
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #9

I greatly appreciate your input Chuck and I will look into that. Thank you very much.