Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Bathroom remodel question.

I have some questions that i would like you fine folks help me with. We are buying used class a before March. Thinking about some remodel, upgrades and such.
Would it be possible to hang tile in a shower instead of that wrap around thing. I realize weight is a big issue.
We are going to go through our "future" rig and make it ours before going FT. Thanks in Advance for your input!
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

Yes it would be possible. Whether it is practical due to the weight of the structure necessary to keep it in one piece within your available weight limits is a different issue.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Yes it would be possible. Whether it is practical due to the weight of the structure necessary to keep it in one piece within your available weight limits is a different issue.
I know weight is an issue, plus possible cracking from movement. I wish i could find something that is aesthetically pleasing compared to those wrap arounds..copper panels would be cooler but pricey?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our shower spends most of its time as a clothes hamper between showers. Don't see a need to spiffy it up. Also those smooth shiny sides make it easy to clean. We chose to change out the clear door for an patterned opaque glass so we don't see the walls between showers anyway.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #5

Does anyone make a synthetic ceramic tile type laminate flooring material that might work? I would love to get rid of our plastic show too.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there are so many different kinds of materials that you can use for shower walls. The main thing is to remember that it must be waterproof. Now what does that mean? It means water should not penetrate it. There acrylic panels at hardware stores, that have all kinds of designs. Recently, I replaced the glass in my shower surround with clear acrylic panels from HD. Looks like brand new now. I was going to replace the surround but it just wasn't needed once the funky glass was replaced. You can order a rainbow of different colors of acrylic panels to replace the existing shower walls. I use a table saw with the saw blade mounted backwards to cut it. I"ve even seen where folks have laid stained oak for a shower surround and then put clear acrylic panels over that to show the wood grain Looked fantastic.... Use your imagination, the day of the tile is on the way out.... even flooring is changing... wood click floors??? vinyl click floors? I wonder if one of the new water proof vinyl click floors that look like tile would work as a shower stall wall???? I'd be willing to try it... Then there is the roofing steel that is used... The list just keeps getting bigger and longer....
Old 11-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd be more worried over the issue of cracking and/or having the tiles pop off the wall due to flexing. Even in a house that isn't doing 65 MPH down a bumpy highway this can be an issue! I suppose a flexible grout might help greatly.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
i plan on doing a vinal wrap like is used on cars trucks
Old 11-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try CUTS METAL.com for some ideas, .025 thick, nice and light, not sure if momma will approve .

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have seen a $1.2 mi Foretravel with a tiled shower. It leaked and the entire shower enclosure had to be removed to repair because of rotted wood. There was even damage in the basement where the pan leakedl
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
there are so many different kinds of materials that you can use for shower walls. The main thing is to remember that it must be waterproof. Now what does that mean? It means water should not penetrate it. There acrylic panels at hardware stores, that have all kinds of designs. Recently, I replaced the glass in my shower surround with clear acrylic panels from HD. Looks like brand new now. I was going to replace the surround but it just wasn't needed once the funky glass was replaced. You can order a rainbow of different colors of acrylic panels to replace the existing shower walls. I use a table saw with the saw blade mounted backwards to cut it. I"ve even seen where folks have laid stained oak for a shower surround and then put clear acrylic panels over that to show the wood grain Looked fantastic.... Use your imagination, the day of the tile is on the way out.... even flooring is changing... wood click floors??? vinyl click floors? I wonder if one of the new water proof vinyl click floors that look like tile would work as a shower stall wall???? I'd be willing to try it... Then there is the roofing steel that is used... The list just keeps getting bigger and longer....
The corrugated steel sheets and a livestock water trough is on the list of ideas. If teak wasnt so expensive that would be a fantastic shower. The click tile flooring is a good idea. Im always open to new ideas. Subway tile looks great in a bathroom. To heavy.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
i plan on doing a vinal wrap like is used on cars trucks
A vinyl wrap huh? Post pics when its finished. Would love to see it.

Tags
remodel