Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I have read many threads on this subject and there is still one thing that I do not understand.
How/why are the starting/chassis batteries so weak to require using the boost switch?
I have never had to use the boost switch. If I did, I would replace the starting batteries so I wouldn't have to again.
Is there something I am missing?
Hey, sometimes "doodoo occurs". Accidents happen. The switch is there to be used. If you want to replace your batteries every time you use it, have a blast. No one here said they were covering for weak batteries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Hey, sometimes "doodoo occurs". Accidents happen. The switch is there to be used. If you want to replace your batteries every time you use it, have a blast. No one here said they were covering for weak batteries.
Wow!

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ga Navigator. There are a couple of reasons to use it that do not involve bad batteries. On my coach and others the radio does not shut off with the ignition switch. It has a separate switch for that. The indash radio runs off the chassis batteries if it is left on and you are not plugged into shore power you can run down the chassis batteries so you could use the aux switch to tie them to the coach batteries to charge.

Another issue is charging on shore power. A lot of coaches including my Allegro bus do not come from the factory with a way of charging the batteries on shore power. A lot of owners myself included have a very small charger that is hooked to the chassis batteries and plugged into an AC Line. This charger takes a while to charge batteries. I went to start m coach one time and it was cooler than I realized so I did not have my engine block heater on. The coach did not want to start and I ran down the chassis batteries trying. I was hooked up to shore power so I turned on the block heater and waited for about a half hour. The chassis batteries were not really up to turn the engine over that well in a half hour so I used the aux switch and started the coach that way. There was nothing wrong with the chassis batteries and I am still using them. There are several minor circumstaces where the chassis batteries can be run down and not be bad.

I agree with an earlier poster If I were not on shore power and the chassis batteries were dead. I would start my generator and have it running before hitting the switch to tie the batteries together. That way you wont have all of your batteries dead and no way to charge anything.

I am considering buying a small charger with 75 amp jumper start capability. I had my toad battery die once and on my car the battery is behind the seat. If you have the seat back and it is over the battery well you have a big problem. The bigger charger could be used off of the generator or shore power to charge the chassis batteries faster than the 2 amp trickle charger I have on there now.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #18

The boost solenoid is rated at about 100 amps. Without good start batteries it will not start the coach by itself. I know this because I tried it once and then start to trouble shoot. It will bulk chakra the start batteries though if you have it on till the equalize. It will help a bit in starting but the ISM take 1200 amps to start and a bit less for the ISC.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
The boost solenoid is rated at about 100 amps. Without good start batteries it will not start the coach by itself. I know this because I tried it once and then start to trouble shoot. It will bulk chakra the start batteries though if you have it on till the equalize. It will help a bit in starting but the ISM take 1200 amps to start and a bit less for the ISC.
First off, the boost solenoid does not do anything but provide a path between the aux batteries and the chassis batteries. ALL boost solenoids supplied by Intellitec for use in diesel MH's are rated at 200 amps and I'm sure they have served their function more than once.

Now, you are probably correct that if the chassis batteries are too low (as in dead) the house batteries may have difficulty starting the engine alone through the boost solenoid, but you don't know that in your "I tried it once" example, that the solenoid was what prevented your engine from starting.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #20

It takes about 1300 amps to start my engine. The boost only provides 200 as you say. There is no way a boost solenoid will start any Diesel engine. Even my pickup needs two batteries to start. It would not start on one when a post broke off.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias7000 View Post
And I recently learned on my Country Coach Inspire 360 that if the house batteries are too low in voltage, then the battery boost relay/solenoid will not energize. So I had to jumper the house batteries from my pickup in order to get enough power to turn on the house batteries to start the generator to charge the house batteries. Would be nice to have a switch that selects between house and chassis batteries to energize the solenoid. That way if either battery bank is low I can use the other to activate the bridging solenoid.
This is why I think the generator should have a dedicated start battery. I still think a boost switch and charging relay are important. I added a battery to a friends. If you can find a place for the battery, it's an easy upgrade.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
This is why I think the generator should have a dedicated start battery. I still think a boost switch and charging relay are important. I added a battery to a friends. If you can find a place for the battery, it's an easy upgrade.
Makes sense to me. It would eliminate this single point of failure in the system. Alternatively, how about a switch that selects the chassis battery to power the battery boost solenoid so it could activate in the scenario where the house batteries are too low to activate it?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #23

If your house battery bank is too low, it may be too low to start the generator. The function that doesn't connect the boost solenoid when the house bank is low makes sense to me. Unless your house bank is being discharged while stored, I'd also recommend an automatic generator start unit if you boondock.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
If your house battery bank is too low, it may be too low to start the generator. The function that doesn't connect the boost solenoid when the house bank is low makes sense to me. Unless your house bank is being discharged while stored, I'd also recommend an automatic generator start unit if you boondock.
This is my situation exactly. I must have left the inverter on. Drained the house batteries dry, literally. Could not start the generator and could not activate the battery boost solenoid to use the chassis battery to start the generator. Ended up jumping the house batteries from my pickup.