Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

AGMs aren't really truly sealed and it is best to provide some ventilation just in case.

I have the "sealed" maintenance free batteries on the MC8 engine - two large batteries in series - and they have been doing the job for 6 years. Not the slightest sign of corrosion either, but for that matter, there was no sign of corrosion when I bought the bus with standard flooded-cell batteries either and as far as I know, the battery compartment is original 1978 factory finish. Decent ventilation with ventilated door instead of the token 1' hole in the bottom, not overfilling cells and a good charging system seem to be the key. In that rig I have AGMs for the house batteries - 4 large 12V 260Ah deep cycle buried in the bowels of the luggage bays so the "sealed" bit is important.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
AGMs aren't really truly sealed and it is best to provide some ventilation just in case.

I have the "sealed" maintenance free batteries on the MC8 engine - two large batteries in series - and they have been doing the job for 6 years. Not the slightest sign of corrosion either, but for that matter, there was no sign of corrosion when I bought the bus with standard flooded-cell batteries either and as far as I know, the battery compartment is original 1978 factory finish. Decent ventilation with ventilated door instead of the token 1' hole in the bottom, not overfilling cells and a good charging system seem to be the key. In that rig I have AGMs for the house batteries - 4 large 12V 260Ah deep cycle buried in the bowels of the luggage bays so the "sealed" bit is important.
Really? then how can you mount them upside down with No issues?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
Really? then how can you mount them upside down with No issues?
They can not be mounted upside down, I do not know where this mis-understanding comes from but even "sealed batteries" are not fully sealed as in the case of gel-cell or AGM.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #18

Hello - relative newbie here. Just bought a small 25' Class the end of last summer. We did make a few long trips Fl to CT and CT to Tn and back. Loved it. We are planning to make a 3 month long trip from CT to OR via Canada to visit family and noticed the house battery (only one) doesn't seem to last long.

Questions:

#1 could I replace the one battery with the two golf cart batteries? Would the alternator charge two batteries?

#2 I have no way to get too the inner wheek to check the tire pressure. I understand you can buy long valve stems somewhere. Can someone tell me where they come from? I have tried searching the internet to no avail perhap there is a special name for these things.

#3 My tires look very good I have the receipt for one only. I was always taught by my Dad to replace tires in pairs so this concerns me somewhat. I pulled into a truck place on the highway last trip and had them check all the tires for me as it had been a month and for a $40 fee they said they were perfect and they didn't sell the long stems. Would you replace all 4 back tires or just one on each side to keep them even?

#4 Is there anything other than routine tuneup and maintenance you would recommend doing before such a long trip?

I thank you for any and all help and suggestions.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I Prefer the Sealed AGM batteries over flooded cell not just for the maintenance but for the corrosion or lack there of.
If you put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell of a GC2 battery you get the same thing. 2 oz in each cell of a 12 volt battery does the same thing.

I did that to our OEM Interstate U-2200's in 2004, the battery tray is almost totally corrosion free except for a little on one of the uncoated hold down clips.
The batteries went one month short of 10 years and even then were still doing fairly well.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
They can not be mounted upside down, I do not know where this mis-understanding comes from but even "sealed batteries" are not fully sealed as in the case of gel-cell or AGM.
There is No misunderstanding.

AGM Batteries are Totally Sealed and can be mounted in Any Position, I just picked the most extreme position for discussion purposes.

Ted.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There is No misunderstanding.

AGM Batteries are Totally Sealed and can be mounted in Any Position, I just picked the most extreme position for discussion purposes.

Ted.
I would like to see any reference that states they can be mounted upside down. They are not totally sealed, rather valve regulated.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #22

Debi,

Two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series is a good house battery arrangement. Think of them not as 6v batteries but as a two piece 12v battery. If you have room for them they are a good way to go. Your charging systems will work just fine for them.
A heavy truck dealer parts department should have the valve stem extensions you need.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #23

We have 4 6-volt Tojans in our fifth wheel and they give us 440 ah capacity and have worked well in over 1,000 nights of boondocking.

On our sailboat we have 4 AGM 4D 12-volt batteries (640 ah) because they are often at a 20-30 degree angle for hours on end while we sail. They have worked well for nearly 750 nights at anchor.

You'll get more amp-hours out of 6 volt golf cart batteries than two small (Group 24) 12-volt batteries. But you can get huge 8D 12-volt batteries that will blow away the 6-volt golf cart batteries. The choice boils down to the available physical space in your battery compartment and your budget.

If you have the physical space for taller golf cart batteries then make the switch from the Group 24 12-volt batteries (they usuually have the same footprint).

If you have the money and don't want to mess with maintaining your batteries (adding distilled water every few months) or if you need the batteries to operate at an angle or to mount them sideways, then go with AGMs. Lifeline is reported to be one of the best brands.

However, for us, our fifth wheel has served us very well as a full-time home off-the-grid with 4 6-volt Trojans...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Most end up going with 6 volt Trojan 105's. Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart etc carry them or you could see about ordering them online. Check amp hours and sizes. Double check so that you can see what you can fit in the battery box.
Walmart has their own brand
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok here is a question for you gurus. I currently have 2-12v deep cell wet batteries for my house. I do have room in my tray for up to 3 house batteries. could I put 3- 6 volt with 2 in parallel and the other in series to get my 12 volt? would the imbalance of capacity overcharge the single battery? or go with 3-12v or 2-6v? thanks in advance. Planning on a week with just a generator and or batteries in the near future.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #26

For your situation 3- 12v batteries seems like the most practical.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #27

I'm with Jaguston - the batteries are happiest if they are all similar in size and type, so 3 12's will do you nicely.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #28

As a thought have you measured the battery box? On mine when it had three 12 volt batteries they were positioned side to side and there was not room for another battery. After measuring I found I could install four 6 volt batteries by placing them end to end (& side to side) - 90 degrees from the way the 12 volts had been installed.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries