Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Batteries

Ok just now realizing after3 weeks that a: my coach batteries are not deep cycle but just oversized truck batteries (no big deal really as I don't dry camp but will change out in the near future and
B: I think the coach and stater batteries are reversed (hooked up by previous owner) the positive from what should be the starter battery goes to a terminal with several other cables coming off it. Also the starter battery is losing its charge after a few days. I've attached a picture for some clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	165634  
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Duracell Ultra at the top of the picture isn't even hooked up. Have you disconnected it?
The other two are hooked up correctly for best power for 12V batteries. Positive off one battery, negative off the other and jumpers in between.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Scary somebody was being cheap !

I'm guessing from the pic, but the ones that are hooked up don't look hooked up correctly.

I would go by a battery shop and ask them what they recommend , THEN I would worry how my inverter/charger is set up as I'll be it isn't set correctly for the amp-hrs you have...

Once it's rewired - take a picture and save it

good luck
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The Duracell Ultra at the top of the picture isn't even hooked up. Have you disconnected it?
The other two are hooked up correctly for best power if they are 12V batteries. Positive off one battery, negative of the other and jumpers in between.

The Duracell is hooked up to the side terminal
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Scary

Do you mind expanding on the scary comment?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

Disconnect the Duracell completely and let us know if it starts?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Scary somebody was being cheap !

I'm guessing from the pic, but the ones that are hooked up don't look hooked up correctly.

I would go by a battery shop and ask them what they recommend , THEN I would worry how my inverter/charger is set up as I'll be it isn't set correctly for the amp-hrs you have...

Once it's rewired - take a picture and save it

good luck

From what Mr_D said and what I garnered on here and the internet the 2 coach batteries are hooked together correctly.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Disconnect the Duracell completely and let us know if it starts?

Bingo. Batteries are correct. The smaller Duracell is the starter battery (don't know why I didn't think of this myself). Question now is why after sitting for a day or two is it losing its charge? It's only a month old. By the way thanks for the help biggcrisp!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #9

Note that many hundreds of thousands of RVs have no provision for charging up the chassis batteries while you're parked and connected to shore power. Except for a totally worthless optional roof top mounted 8-10 watt solar panel (providing a measly 0.8 amps of charging in full sunlight).

With a digital meter, measure the voltages across the battery sets once you've figured out which is which set, before you plug into shore power. Then plug in. The voltage on the house batts should go from 12.3 or so up to 13.8 as the converter starts charging it. Wait a couple minutes and then measure the voltage of the chassis batts.

If that voltage has not increased, then you need something like the Trik-L-Start device which takes a bit of the charge from the house batts and keeps the chassis batts charged while you're parked. Simple to install, works great, never have to worry about it again. I limped along with weak chassis batts for years, using the dash mounted AUX switch to start the rig. Other than having to do that, no big deal.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a Trik-L-Start to keep my chassis battery charged from my house battery bank. I also have solar on the roof too.

Trik-L-Start was easy to install.
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Note that many hundreds of thousands of RVs have no provision for charging up the chassis batteries while you're parked and connected to shore power. Except for a totally worthless optional roof top mounted 8-10 watt solar panel (providing a measly 0.8 amps of charging in full sunlight).

With a digital meter, measure the voltages across the battery sets once you've figured out which is which set, before you plug into shore power. Then plug in. The voltage on the house batts should go from 12.3 or so up to 13.8 as the converter starts charging it. Wait a couple minutes and then measure the voltage of the chassis batts.

If that voltage has not increased, then you need something like the Trik-L-Start device which takes a bit of the charge from the house batts and keeps the chassis batts charged while you're parked. Simple to install, works great, never have to worry about it again. I limped along with weak chassis batts for years, using the dash mounted AUX switch to start the rig. Other than having to do that, no big deal.

Thanks Jim. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Heading out the door for clams and beers for Father's Day. Happy Father's Day everyone. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #12

Agreed with the trik l start. That also depends on what you are running out of the dash connections. Anything plugged into the cigar lighter will run the battery down faster. Ditto running the radio for entertainment when parked or leaving the running lights on at nights.

You do have the wrong type house batteries *but* they may be enough to get you through the night. If you seldom dry camp you can wait until they become a problem then get better batteries to replace them. I'd try a driveway overnight and see what happened. That or a night at a park where all I had to do was walk out and plug in.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #13

Meanwhile, to prevent fully discharging the chassis batts, just disconnect the ground until you can get a Trik-L-Start or other means of keeping it charged. There are numerous phantom loads on them, but yeah, as mentioned, the radio is the biggest draw when playing tunes.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Agreed with the trik l start. That also depends on what you are running out of the dash connections. Anything plugged into the cigar lighter will run the battery down faster. Ditto running the radio for entertainment when parked or leaving the running lights on at nights.

You do have the wrong type house batteries *but* they may be enough to get you through the night. If you seldom dry camp you can wait until they become a problem then get better batteries to replace them. I'd try a driveway overnight and see what happened. That or a night at a park where all I had to do was walk out and plug in.

If I run the radio while in the coach I use the coach batteries. I really don't understand what else might be drawing from the engine battery.
As far as replacing the coach batteries I figured the same thing. Since I don't plan on dry camping that much, there at the bottom of my list for now. I used them quite a bit in the driveway the last 2 weeks and they didn't seem to discharge much.

Tags
batteries