Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
batteries

can u plug your shore line into a inverter if your batt. bank is over 500 amp hours?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The first problem is that the inverter sees shore power on its 120v input line and stops inverting. But maybe you unplug it (if not hardwired) and so can continue.

Then the question becomes what appliances are turned on and how long before the battery bank voltage goes so low that the inverter shuts down. If nothing is turned on, it runs for some time. If you try to run an a/c, for example, it probably lasts only a couple minutes. 500 Ah @ 12v is about 6000 watts, but you can't draw that much power from the batteries for very long before the voltage drops like a stone.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
my motorhome didnt come with a inverter, so i guess what i want 2 no is will it hurt the converter? i would come off of the batt. bank with an inverter and plug the shore line into it, i no it wouldnt run the ac, but should run everything else right? batt. bank is powered by a wind gen.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

I added an inverter/converter to a 5th wheel several years ago. It was not complicated - the incoming shore power was rerouted through the inverter and heavy duty cables added from the battery bank to the inverter. I don't think I had 500 amp battery bank. I'd suggest you pick out your inverter and then read the instructions - I don' t think you will have a problem but do check it out first.
Good luck
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1037 View Post
my motorhome didnt come with a inverter, so i guess what i want 2 no is will it hurt the converter? i would come off of the batt. bank with an inverter and plug the shore line into it, i no it wouldnt run the ac, but should run everything else right? batt. bank is powered by a wind gen.
I added a 600w Prosine inverter to my MH and did the very thing you are asking about. The converter needs to be turned off for this to work. The battery charging function uses way too many amps if it's left on. The first time I plugged in my shore power to the inverter I was drawing 500 watts. I had forgotten to put the fridge on propane (about 350 watts) and had left a few other things plugged in. After that I was able to unplug everything from all my 120v power outlets so there was no watts being used. So yes, it did work for me. I have manual shore power switching, so I don't know how you would wire it up for an auto transfer switch.
As far as running everything except the a/c, you would need at least a 1500 continuous watt inverter to run the microwave and/or coffee pot. I personally feel this is not needed. I have a 375 ah battery bank, so if I use high draw items I run the generator for them. I make coffee by boiling water on the stovetop and using a french press (best coffee I ever had) so I only need to run the genset for the toaster and microwave. Keep in mind the higher the inverter size the more power it will use to convert voltage.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
thanks u guys
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just unplug the converter when you operate the standalone inverter. And don't run any heavy amp load appliances like the water heater in electric mode.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, let's shed some light on this issue:

Can you plug your shore power cord into an inverter and run your RV that way? YES, if the inverter is large enough.. But read on.

I will use MY RV as an example:

IN my RV I have several loads,, Now some of them, as it happens, are powered via an inverter (Either by or through) these include the televisions and radios, (100-300 watts depending) and related electronics, The MICROWAVE, the "GFCI" outlets (Kitchen, bath, patio) and optionally the fridge (It can be switched to either inverter or mains power, normally on mains, I will explain)

There are also two Air conditioners, A water heater, Two converters (One being the in-line inverter) other outlets, and a pair of 20 amp outlets that run space heaters as needed.

Now, In-line inverters will sense if you have incoming power and switch to "Pass Through Mode" If this is the inverter you are plugging into.. That will be a problem.. But, since these are normally installed, I will assume you have a stand-alone device.

Stand alone devices (I have several in storage) WILL work, since they do not sense incoming power you won't have any problems with them HOWEVER.

You need to disable your converter.. You see, it is trying to charge the batteries using power FROM the batteries, and since it is only around 75-80% efficient that means a constant loss of power, A fairly fast one too.

You may wish to disable the Air Conditoners.. A single pair of GC-2 size batteries only has about a kilowatt of power (one kwh) and the A/C will suck them dry in about 30 minutes if it's the only thing running.. Or less (With rechargable batteries the faster you drain them the faster-squared they run down that 1KW is about the 12 hour rate)

YOu will also want to disable the water heater, and the fridge (run it on gas)

Why is mine transferable: Normally (ALl summer, all winter) it is set to MAINS but when I do my 800 mile hike from summer to winter or the other way around I lock the Fridge on GAS, then flip the switch so the ice maker continues to make ice.

That's why.

So can you do it: Yes: Should you? Only if you turn off high power items like A/C, Fridge, Water heater and the converter.. IN many RV's this will also disable other circuity you'd rather keep powered.

Recommendation: A good True Sine Wave "in-line" inverter/converter such as the Prosine 2.0 or some of the even better ones out there..

And properly install it with a sub panel for the "E-Power" devices (Emergency power)