Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Batteries, ?????

Well Yesterday 7/7/11 I replaced the coach batteries;; I had them checked Last year and they said they were still good, now they had 85% left;; I said I want 3 new ones, We are going to the Bluegrass festavil 1 week dry camping;; When We get home It is allways plugged in for at least 2 weeks; To top the charge off;; Now for the rest of the story; These batteries Were put into the New coach In 2001, 3 H30HH 115 amp DYNO;. Check the price and you'll see why I take care of them,, Over the years we do dry camping and use the inverter regulary all day; Every evening we run the genset 7.5K for 30 minutes; to charge the batteries, Now I must point out In all those years I have added water Just once, That was in June this year; The point I am trying to make is charge your batteries as soon as you can, As a low battery starts Sulfating Imedituly if not Fully charged AS it is only a Electricity storage bucket, And it likes to be full and used;; Foot note; When I asked about adding OIL, he just Laughed, and asked if I thought they would last longer;;; Life is good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just a word on the use of oil in batteries. Oil does NOT extend the life of a battery, it simply stops the expelling of gas that occurs during bulk charging and equalization. It's the gas that causes the problem in the battery compartment that leads to high maintenance and corrosion. If you aren't bothered by those things you don't need to use it. I started using oil in my sailboat batteries and have used it ever since and when I bought this coach in March 2010 I added oil to these batteries. I have not seen corrosion in the battery compartment since. The problem with oil is that some people don't use the right oil. Food quality mineral oil does not have the impurities that other mineral oils do. Contrary to common belief it does not harm the battery or prevent normal maintenance.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Oil in the batteries? Sounds interesting, especially if there's some benefit to it, without any negative effect. Can either of you let me know how you go about doing oil in the batteries, type of oil, quantity, etc. Just a month ago I replaced the house batteries in our 05 National Dolphin. I paid around $300 for 2 rayovac 6 volt golf cart batteries from Batteries Plus. I kept the old batteries and am experimenting with reconditioning them using a magnesium sulfate solution, that is said to dissolve the sulfate desposits that accumulate on batterie's and ultimately cause their death. I'd be interested in learning more about the oil.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
For information about using oil in batteries follow this thread to post #17.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
wolfpackfan

I have tried the magnesium sulfate (m.s.)(epsom salt) and to some extent it worked, but soon failed. I was told the m.s. did dissolve the sulfation on the plates but also ate the separators between them causing more shorts. That was many years ago and the newer BATTS. may hold up better.

I hope it works for you! I'll be watching so lemme no.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
wolfpackfan

I have tried the magnesium sulfate (m.s.)(epsom salt) and to some extent it worked, but soon failed. I was told the m.s. did dissolve the sulfation on the plates but also ate the separators between them causing more shorts. That was many years ago and the newer BATTS. may hold up better.

I hope it works for you! I'll be watching so lemme no.
Thanks Donny! I hope it does work. I'll have a set of spare batteries! If nothing else at least it'll be a learning experience, that I might be able to share with someone else and save them a headache. What the heck 2 bucks for a small container of epsom salt to learn something. I've paid a lot more than that for a formal education. Someone else mentioned that epsom salt, an alkaline works against the electrolyte, an acid. We'll see how it goes. I'll do a thorough follow up post under a new thread in a few months.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Greetings Wolfpack,

When using epsom salts be careful to not use too much.

1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon per cell will suffice.

Charge for 24 hours and watch for bubbling in cells, any cell not bubbling is your problem area. Add another dose and charge for 12 more hours, if no bubbles, trash the battery.

Charge at 5 amps or less.

Note that too much epsom salts will strip lead off the plates and it will accumalate at the bottom of battery and possible short plates.

This process was discovered during WW I when batteries were not available to civilians.

Wally Crawford

96 Dolphin 36' 454
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
For information about using oil in batteries follow this thread to post #17.
Or just start at post #13 and go forward!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not sure What,How to put a life expectance on a battery. We own several cars, (as does everyone) I rebuild John Deere Agra line tractors, Have had as many as 30 setting here( hobby) they all have batteries And they all go dead. You can agree or dissagree, I am only stating the facts that I have seen..I have taken 4 batteries put oil (human grade, Not water sulabely) In 2 of them, left 2 without I hate to break the news to you ,there was no differance; and as for the acid, fumes,If your charging system is working Properly, as it was designed, and your battery is in good condition, There is little if any Boiling,acid escaping;; Now I have tryed all thoes what I call witches remadies;; EPS salt, Aspirn, And a lot of others.. Plainly put there is about 1/4 inch gap between the plates and the bottom of the case; Why would anyone put anything in the battery that may cause a short.. If anyone tells me .. I just say I have a dead Battery, Show me,, That ends the conversation. It falls in the same cataglory as the guy that was getting 60 MPG on his car by burning water, addative;; As stated In a prior post 9 years on the deep cycle batteries, 3 of 30HH No oil. No EPS:salts; 9 years what did i do wrong;;???
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Wolfpack Fan

Here's some additional information on using Epsom Salt to rejuvenate your batteries.

Battery_Epsom_Salts.pdf
Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #11

The following link is to THE latest technology based on 100 year old theories from Nikola Tesla, the TRUE father on our electrical distribution systems, motors and transformers and even fluorescent lights. Using a Tesla Switch as modified by John Bendini batteries become conditioned to charge faster, last longer and provide more power. This isn't just a charger, but a rejuvenator!!!

Tesla Switch Solar Charger to debut at Bedini conference
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #12

The following links are to companies that are actually making Tesla chargers, the next big step in increasing battery life, longevity, and power while decreasing charging time! They are also battery REJUVENATORS!!

Sunlight R-Chargers

Welcome to Renaissance Charge -
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I forgot to mention in my prior posts, That In my various experments I have blown up 5 batteries; By putting anything other then distilled water in them.. you see when you put that crap into the battery it starts emitting Bad gases, Which are vary explosive; You hook up the charger or a set of jumper cables You have an explosion.. I repete Nothing but water. You can go blind and stay that way;;;; OH well you saved a couple bucks;;Theres nothing wrong with being blind.. Some will say please don't be so;; I say don't; They even pay you for your old battery.. Life is good.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The only way I nave known to keep a battery in good condition is to keep it fully charged with the acid level correct and CLEAN!

I have had one battery explode. that is something I never want to happen again, Batteries produce hydrogen gas while charging and it is highly explosive, It ripped the hood off my pickup truck, so don't cause sparks around your battery, pull the plug from the wall before disconnecting your charger and remove the negative lead first.

As far as the chemical additive or some form of special charger I will watch what others do before I spend my money.

Distilled water is the only thing I add to my batteries and keep the post clean all of them have lasted at least 4-5 yrs.

this thread is interesting.

Tags
batteries