Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #15

def - to avoid a long quote, I will reply to your post "by the numbers"

1 & 2) Agreed - batteries dead & frozen and are now paperweights.
3) I have been exercising the generator about once a month because a) it is my understanding that the generator mechanism (not the engine) suffers from lack of exercise at least that often, and 2) I have found that the self-discharge of my batteries would lead them to overly discharge if I do not charge them that frequently (trying to avoid point 1&2 above!! )
4) My inverter/charger does support AGM-type batteries (it is a Magnum MS Series)
5) the fact that I have seen significant self-discharge of the batteries is why I have tried to exercise the generator and charge them during the winter storage.
6)I do indeed know better than to not disconnect the batteries - which is why I am surprised that I neglected to do so last time :-(
7) AGM's have several very appealing aspects to me: a) they have a much lower self-discharge rate - and hence should present less risk of #3 above leading to #1 &#2 above... ALSO, the maintenance of the flooded cells (checking water level, cleaning the corrosion from them, etc) has been a real headache for me: it is worth the price for the AGM's to not have to face that. And yes, we do fairly often find ourselves boondocking, so if the AGM's allow more peace of mind for us, likewise that will be worth it...
8) I ALWAYS use fuel conditioner (and algea inhibitor) during winter storage.

Edina: we live in Edina ourselves: great neighbors and great school system. Staying Warm ... in Minnesota in the Winter????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(I hope you are in warmer climes!)
Cheers!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #16

MN,

I do (or did before the depression) a lot with batteries.
Yes, there is a chance, a good chance that they will not recover.
But, that is by no means a certainty.

Unless you want to scrap them, take them to some place warm and put a low rate charge on them for as long as you can stand. If they are going to recover, surprising them with a high charge rate may just piss them off so much that they quit.

Do not try to charge them in parallel as one may be damaged and it will prevent the others from charging as they need. If you have to time share the charger that will not be too bad.

WARNING - Put the batteries in a known water tight and acid proof tub or box. They may have cracked the case and you have to be careful until you are certain.

There is also a chance that a cell divider has been breached. This will cause a battery to look good buy be the wrong voltage (like 2.2 volts low).

I wish you luck.

Tags
batteries, generator