Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Batteries, any idea what may be causing this?

The positive post from my house Batts is constantly corroding. Aswell the top of the Batts are almost always damp. I have a Trickle Start and leads for a 15w solar panel attached.
Any ideas on what's up?
Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411824325.336770.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	740.2 KB
ID:	75078

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Hi,

Thanks for the photo. I'm not quite sure what I am seeing, but is that a bungee cord or flexible rubber line across the top of your batteries, acting as a hold-down? If so, your batteries may be "jumping around" on you as you go down the road, causing the battery fluid to escape through the cap. You might try a more rigid hold-down as found in most car parts stores. Once that is solved, try a pair of those battery terminal corrosion eliminators made of felt. Put a pair on each battery. Then grease the terminals.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
The positive post from my house Batts is constantly corroding. As well the top of the Batts are almost always damp. I have a Trickle Start and leads for a 15w solar panel attached.
Any ideas on what's up?
Thanks.
IMDSailor
"Over filled" flooded lead acid batteries can/will cause that.

BTW, only fill add distilled water when the batteries are fully charged.
Topping off the electrolyte if/when the batteries are NOT FULLY CHARGED will cause them to overflow as they recharge... because the electrolyte in the cells of a battery expands, (increases in volume), as the battery excepts a charge.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys. Checked the liquid levels, looks ok, slightly below the bottom of the opening.
The hold down strap being used is the one the rig came with, not bungee style, friction held. Cinched up a bit.
Not sure how those felt pads would work. I have the nut style posts, not the clamp type. Wouldn't the nuts just squeeze them to much? Is there something different for this style application?
Thanks again.
Stewart

Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

Sailor, maybe your solar charger is over charging. Check the voltage. It should be less than 13.9.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

First check charging voltage.

Next remove wires from post and clean well.

Clean all wires and return all to normal then check often for changes and also if batteries are in warranty take good photo.

Watch for activity at point where post exits battery as this is a stress point where over tightening or single wrench use sometimes fractures the connection or seal between post and housing.

Sometimes manufacturer defect.

If it gets wet or turns color then with photo seek warranty replacement.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

I trimmed and filed the flash on my caps. No more water/acid on the top of the batteries.

(Not my video)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post

Watch for activity at point where post exits battery as this is a stress point where over tightening or single wrench use sometimes fractures the connection or seal between post and housing.

Sometimes manufacturer defect.

If it gets wet or turns color then with photo seek warranty replacement.
It's funny you say that, I was wondering if that's was a possible cause. I gave the post a bit of a tug back and forth but did not detect any movement. However it does appear that that post is the wettest point.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had that issue when I had a single stage inverter (13.8V I think). I added 2 oz mineral oil to each cell and it stopped spitting.
Reference: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/my-ba...oil-65596.html
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post

The positive post from my house Batts is constantly corroding. Aswell the top of the Batts are almost always damp. I have a Trickle Start and leads for a 15w solar panel attached.
Any ideas on what's up?
Thanks
Attachment 75078
Stewart,

Here is what I would do.

First clean up everything on top of your batteries, surface, posts, cable ends, etc. making sure everything is clean and dry.

Purchase 6 Water Miser Caps, and a can of Battery Post Protector from your local NAPA or O'Reilly's Auto Store.

Install the cleaned up cable connectors. Install the 6 Water Miser Caps making sure that the tops are SNAPPED down tight. Spray the posts really well with the Battery Post Protector.

I have attached photos of my batteries that have been there since the summer of 2012 when they were installed while in Fairbanks Alaska.

With the Water Miser Caps I only need to add some distilled water 2-3 times a year.

The only time my batteries are WET on top is when I hose them off to get the dirt and grime removed from road travel and wind. I then let them sit in the sun to dry. About once a year I will respray all of the terminals with a new coating before stowing the trays and closing the compartment door. There has never been any corrosion when using the spray.

Not sure what you mean by a Trickle Start attached. Could you explain? Is it a Charger?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank - House GC2.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	75086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank - Chassis 8D.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	75087  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Richard.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #12

It is very important to get the cables and ends really clean.
After years of working in the battery/alternator industry one of the old guys taught me a neat trick.
Remove your cables from the battery and soak them in straight water ( yes straight water) in a cup or container of some kind. You can add baking soda if you want but water will get them clean. You may need to change the water a couple of times.
Let them dry and peel away the shrink tube if it is bulging, you need to get all that corrosion out of the wire. Electrons flow on the outside of each strand, the corrosion is causing a resistence to the wiring. Battery and welding cable is stranded because it handles high amps. House wire is not stranded because it handles high volts low amps.
And here is another trick taught to me by one of the old guys. Place a copper penny (old one) on top of the battery.
Be sure to coat the terminals with vasaline or grease or any battery protector spray after re-installing. Those felt pad things work good too.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks RVBUZZ.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The task is done. Batteries load tested, ok. Charge, good. SG, good. Connections all wire brushed. Two knife switches installed, coach and house. Felt washers applied to all posts. So now it's wait and see.

Thanks to all who contributed.

PS in my original post I mis spoke, I meant Tric L Charge not Trickle Start.

Tags
batteries