Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 AM   #1

Batteries are good, volt gauge doesn't move, engine doesn't start

Hi,

For the first time in 2 years my RV doesn't want to start. My batteries are goods, 12.9. The starter cranks properly but after only a few seconds, it is like if my batteries have no power.

The only thing which is different as usual is my volt gauge indicator. Normally, it shows the status of my batteries as soon as I turn the ignition on but currently, the needle doesn't move at all.

Any idea? Is there a fuse somewhere for that?

Sorry if my english is not 100% perfect, I am french.

Thank you!

Patrick.

Fleetwood Revolution 40c 2002.
Cummins 330 Diesel ISC.
patrickjoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Try putting a load tester on the battery. It may be that it's show proper voltage with no load, but once it gets a load it drops too far to be useful.
You might also just try jump the battery it to see if that makes a difference.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Try putting a load tester on the battery. It may be that it's show proper voltage with no load, but once it gets a load it drops too far to be useful.
You might also just try jump the battery it to see if that makes a difference.
X2 Definitely a good assessment of the possible problem. When you say "the starter cranks properly", Do you mean it turns over the motor or the starter motor just spins and after a few seconds it winds down? Either way Mr. Podvin could be dead on.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #4

Have someone measure the battery voltage when cranking . It should not drop below 10 volts. Check your connections on the battery .If they are dirty be sure to clean them.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
YC1

Always fix the obvious first and then often other things are resolved.

The voltmeter not working may be chased back to the batteries as suggested. Any loose or corroded connections will cause all kinds of misery. Take pictures of the batteries before making any changes. A voltmeter is very important and write the measurements down for before and after information.

Welcome to the forum!

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Always fix the obvious first and then often other things are resolved.

The voltmeter not working may be chased back to the batteries as suggested. Any loose or corroded connections will cause all kinds of misery. Take pictures of the batteries before making any changes. A voltmeter is very important and write the measurements down for before and after information.

Welcome to the forum!
I agree. Clean your battery terminals before you go much further. By "clean", disconnect them and clean the battery posts as well as the inside of each cable end.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

Not sure if you have two batteries, but if you do check the voltage of both to see if one is reading low, you don't have to do this disconnected
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You have two sets of batteries - house batteries and chassis batteries. Do you know which set of batteries your gauge is measuring?

Use a voltmeter and check both sets. Your chassis batteries may be discharged or too old to handle the big load placed on them during starting.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
YC1

Your starting batteries may be sick or NOT getting a proper charge.

Hit your emergency start button and hold it down for a minute and while holding it try to start your engine. My batteries became week after many years of great service recently. Same symptoms. Fortunately my emergency start relay is is great shape so it is like getting a jump start from myself.

Please do get some voltage readings and write them down before proceeding to any repairs or replacements.

You need to know if the starting batteries are getting the proper charge when plugged into shoreline or the generator is running.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum!!

Tags
batteries, engine