Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
Batteries being overcharged

We have a 2001 Itasca Horizon dp. Does anyone know if the charger part of the converter can be shut off while plugged into shore power. Any help will be appreciated. Almost full timers.
__________________

__________________
Donaldshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Probably not as it is presently wired, but you could install a disconnect between the charger and the batteries. You might check online for a manual for your present converter/charger. If there is a temperature sensor that is supposed to regulate charger rate, if it's bad or disconnected that could be your issue. A new converter/charger would be high on my list if the old one is damaging the batteries. Cheaper move in the long run with battery replacement, out gassing and corrosion in the battery compartment, etc.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,382
How old are the batteries? Most times the batteries get old and build up high resistance. Then they gas and act as if they are overcharging. Get a meter and check the charge. It should be about 13.6 volts.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldshoe View Post
We have a 2001 Itasca Horizon dp. Does anyone know if the charger part of the converter can be shut off while plugged into shore power. Any help will be appreciated. Almost full timers.
Donaldshoe
That information can be found in the users manual for the make/model of the converter/charger, (or inverter/charger), Winnebago Inc. used in your Itasca.
There may also be adjustable charger settings that are not set correctly for the batteries you have in your coach.
(If you don't have the manual find the model number and find one online).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,637
The coach battery disconnect switch should separate the charger/convertor from the batteries leaving the convertor to run the house 12VDC items (lights, fridge, water heater, TV antenna amp and such). The down side is there could be a few devices such as the CO and Propane detector that are still pulling power from the house batteries even with the disconnect tripped. Given enough time they could discharge the batteries beyond the recommended minimum.

The disconnect option is a short term fix until your budget will support replacing the convertor/charger. If its the original 15 years is a pretty good run. Mine lasted 7.
__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldshoe View Post
We have a 2001 Itasca Horizon dp. Does anyone know if the charger part of the converter can be shut off while plugged into shore power. Any help will be appreciated. Almost full timers.
There is not a charger perse. The converter puts out a constant 13.6 volts. You shouldn't run a converter without a battery hooked up to it. The battery acts a a filter or a buffer for the converter.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,805
If you do a bit of research, you will find the converters can be run without batteries. That why they call them converters.

Switch off the batteries and you will be fine.

Inverter/ CHARGERS and battery chargers need a battery to buffer the output.
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldshoe View Post
We have a 2001 Itasca Horizon dp. Does anyone know if the charger part of the converter can be shut off while plugged into shore power. Any help will be appreciated. Almost full timers.
What brand, model inverter/charger? My MH-below- has a Xantrex RS 2000. The charger may be turned off with the display panel or a push button on the front of the unit.
I had an overcharging issue last fall. I discovered the battery temperature sender was causing the over-charging problem. The float charge went from 13.8-14.2 while connected to 13,2 constant immediately when the temperature sender was disconnected. With this model, charge rate is not adjustable.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The coach battery disconnect switch should separate the charger/convertor from the batteries leaving the convertor to run the house 12VDC items (lights, fridge, water heater, TV antenna amp and such). The down side is there could be a few devices such as the CO and Propane detector that are still pulling power from the house batteries even with the disconnect tripped. Given enough time they could discharge the batteries beyond the recommended minimum.
The disconnect option is a short term fix until your budget will support replacing the convertor/charger. If its the original 15 years is a pretty good run. Mine lasted 7.
Sweetbriar
If/when my "house battery disconnect switch" is OFF when I have no shore, or generator, 120VAC power.. EVERYTHING 12V in the house of my coach is OFF... (including the CO and Propane detectors).

However when my coach does have 120V power, the converter in my original, (now 20 year old), Heart Freedom 20 combination inverter/converter/charger powers everything 12V in the coach ... (even when the house battery disconnect switch is OFF).

BTW, although my "house battery disconnect switch" turns those detectors OFF...my "salesman switch" does not.

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Sweetbriar
If/when my "house battery disconnect switch" is OFF when I have no shore, or generator, 120VAC power.. EVERYTHING 12V in the house of my coach is OFF... (including the CO and Propane detectors).

However when my coach does have 120V power, the converter in my original, (now 20 year old), Heart Freedom 20 combination inverter/converter/charger powers everything 12V in the coach ... (even when the house battery disconnect switch is OFF).

BTW, although my "house battery disconnect switch" turns those detectors OFF...my "salesman switch" does not.

Mel
'96 Safari
I specifically use the words 'should" and "could" for a reason. Every coach builder wires up power differently and about the only thing we can take for granted is the use of a negative ground based system. A 1996 Safari is a very different rig from the OP's 2001 Itasca Horizon or my 2006 Thor Hurricane. Plus who knows what a prior owner(s) may have added or changed.
__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I specifically use the words 'should" and "could" for a reason. Every coach builder wires up power differently and about the only thing we can take for granted is the use of a negative ground based system. A 1996 Safari is a very different rig from the OP's 2001 Itasca Horizon or my 2006 Thor Hurricane. Plus who knows what a prior owner(s) may have added or changed.
Sweetbriar


The point I was trying to make when I posted the information about how the "house battery disconnect switch" and the "salesman switch" are wired in my Safari is that different coach builders wire up power differently.

Although I did say that Safari wired up power differently in my coach than Thor wired up the power in yours, I did not say that either you, (or Thor), was wrong.
Sorry.

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was I overcharged by Camping World ?? TomMiller iRV2.com General Discussion 61 03-13-2015 11:02 AM
Batteries being charged by tow vehicle? MojaveJoe Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 8 12-18-2010 07:39 PM
Did I get overcharged on an Allison Trans Service? Old Snipe Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 13 04-08-2006 04:29 PM
Cold weather experiences, overcharged batteries?? smlranger Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 13 02-20-2006 08:23 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.