Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

Back in the day when we maintained many (500 plus) battery plants with multiple batteries in series parallel (4 strings at either 24 or 48 volt) the short time check was to look for something "different".

This was very simple approach but given all batteries are the same the readings should be close to same.

That being stated...Your number 1 and 2 look fine but 3 and 4 are not.

One is high and one is low.

This points to possible sulfation which could cause higher resistance in the one with higher voltage or starting to break down in the one with lower voltage.

For these they need a little watching.

Since you added water they may still need to charge a bit.

For now make mental note and watch them closely and maybe retest again after you have used them for awhile.

Maybe unplug and run on battery until voltage drops to say 11 or so, measure while still on load then plug in and measure a few times while charging.

One bad battery in this configuration can cause the charger to not react properly and cause it to overcharge the rest.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #16

I received the temperature sensor and the Basic Remote Panel. Now I have more questions.

1. I see no easy way to run the Basic Remote Panel cable from anywhere in the MH down to the bin where the Xantres 458 is located. Can I just install it in the same location as the 458?

2. Since it takes about 8 hours to equalize, that means no air or fridge while we are staying in MH, if I need to disable 12v to these devices. Anyone know any secrets? ie pluging AC and fridge to an stand alone battery.

3. There is no way I can run the temp wire from the 458 to the batteries without drilling a hole in the bin wall. Is it ok to drill this hole?

Thanks

Walt Boudreaux

Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #17

Everything should be able to be on and operating as equalize just is a bit on the high side but should be within range of equipment.

The temperature sensor needs to be as close to the battery as possible so the charger knows temperature of battery.

Best is bolted directly to a post followed by stuck the the middle of a cell on the end or side whichever has the long side of the cells.

If Ine end of wire has a connector that can be removed then you can take a few photos for reference then drill small hole as needed to route wire.

Remember to use rubber gromments and strain reliefs to keep wire from getting damaged.

Put a day of silicon rtv in hole to seal and keep wire from moving.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wboudx View Post

2. Since it takes about 8 hours to equalize, that means no air or fridge while we are staying in MH, if I need to disable 12v to these devices. Anyone know any secrets? ie pluging AC and fridge to an stand alone battery.
You may want to check with your battery manufacturer on that.

My Magnum inverter/ charger runs a 4hr equalization cycle. When I looked on the battery manufacturers website, they recommend no more than a 2hr cycle.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Everything should be able to be on and operating as equalize just is a bit on the high side but should be within range of equipment.

The temperature sensor needs to be as close to the battery as possible so the charger knows temperature of battery.

Best is bolted directly to a post followed by stuck the the middle of a cell on the end or side whichever has the long side of the cells.

If Ine end of wire has a connector that can be removed then you can take a few photos for reference then drill small hole as needed to route wire.

Remember to use rubber gromments and strain reliefs to keep wire from getting damaged.

Put a day of silicon rtv in hole to seal and keep wire from moving.
Equalization charge is around 15.3 VDC, which is over the limit for most DC appliances/electronics. Xantrex says to disconnect all appliances during this period. pg 19,Xantrex 458 owners manual
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Equalization charge is around 15.3 VDC, which is over the limit for most DC appliances/electronics. Xantrex says to disconnect all appliances during this period. pg 19,Xantrex 458 owners manual
I have no idea on how to disconnect all appliances. Even if I find some fuses to some appliances, how do I know when I have them all disconnected?

Is there a way to disconnect DC from Xantrex 458?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #21

Is it possible to disconnect positive on batteries going to chassis only, then put a stand alone battery to the chassis on that positive leg?
Old 06-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #22

wboudx,
Your MH should have a "salesman switch"/ aux. battery disconnect switch. This switch cuts all 12VDC power to the coach, radios, frig, lighting, etc. The Xantrex is still connected to the batteries. The engine battery may still be connected to everything it powers, depending on how your mfgr. chose to do the wiring.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries