Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

batteries/charger/converter problems

I have an 85 Southwind 27' MH with 454. My problem is that house batteries run down when I am plugged into shore power. I do not have an owners manual and am not the "sharpest tool..." on elect. problems. Any ideas what to do?
85swmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I always thought that all RV's would charge the house batteries when connected to shore power and that starting batteries would be left to drain .

In those cases the installation of a Trik-L-Start would solve this problem. Your problem might be different since it is your house batteries that are not charging while on shore power .

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Is your converter charging the batteries? If you are plugged in and the batteries are not charging (assuming the batteries are okay and all ciruit breakers are in, etc), that's the first thing I'd check.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as though your converter/charger isn't working. That's what charges the house batteries while on shore power. But also check the batteries themselves and make sure there is water in the cells (not applicable if a maintenance free battery). The charger can't charge a battery that is dry.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same issue. If everything checks out, the stock converter/charger is crap. Upgrade to a parallax 9200 series. Ive got a 9260 and it works perfect. Keeps the batteries toped off. Unless I forget to shut off the electric water heater element. Thats another story though.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #6

batteries/converter/not charging

First, thanks for all your suggestions. I had that same thought (the converter not charging) and will pursue this by checking if it is in fact bad - then replace it. Once again thanks all.
85swmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an 08 Tiffin. There is no built in mechanism for maintaining or charging the Starting batteries when the coach is not running. Tiffin added a small 2 Amp maintainer that is plugged into the 120V outlet - thus it is only maintaining the batteries while the 120V is lit up. I would add some kind of maintainer but also add a disconnect switch. Make sure that the maintainer is attached to the battery and not downstream from the switch.
CraigAllegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85swmh View Post
First, thanks for all your suggestions. I had that same thought (the converter not charging) and will pursue this by checking if it is in fact bad - then replace it. Once again thanks all.
In case you don't know how to check the converter, there are a couple ways to do it. Use a digital volt/ohm meter and check voltage at the house batteries with the converter off (or unplug coach) If batteries are okay you should get somewhere between 12.0V to 12.7V depending on state of charge. Note your reading. Then turn on converter (plug in coach) again note reading. If the converter is working you should see appx .8 to 1.5 volt higher reading when converter is on.
If the batteries are questionable another way to test the converter is to disconnect the Positive and Negative leads going to the house. Then turn on the converter and check voltage. Depending on the age and type of converter you have you should see somewhere between 13 to 14 volts.
If checking this way it may be easier to have the batteries checked while they are disconnected from coach.
If the converter does not work and you have checked all the fuses (usually located in the house circuit breaker box) it would be a good time to consider upgrading to a modern 3 stage converter. As mentioned in another post the PD9245 or PD9260 would be a good choice. I recently upgraded my older Magnetek 7345 to a PD9260 with pendant remote and love it. So do my new batteries.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote