Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkted View Post
My understanding is that deep-cycles have less CCA than a traditional battery. Is that correct?

sjkted
A true deep cycle battery doesn't even have a CCA rating.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #16

My deep cycle starts my boat fine, it will start a RV fine also. Something is wired wrong! Deep cycle batteries are designed to discharge to a very low state and then be recharged without damage. A standard battery will be damaged if it keeps getting run down low.

Check the wiring over, it sounds like the starter circuit is wrong.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would check the battery cable connections at the battery.Sounds lile you might have a bad connection as it will start if you jump it. Remove, clean and replace cables first. If no sucess then have starting battery tested.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #18

I had a similar situation. Our used rig came with three new 12v deep cycle batteries, two house and one chassis. The chassis battery would start the engine only under the best of conditions and usually needed auxiliary switch to start. My concern was running down the house batteries some time so that there was not enough power to start the motor. I moved the chassis to the house bank and bought a 850 CCA starting battery.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see a lot of folks who say that "A pair of six volt will____ and a 12 volt will _____ (fill in the blanks one of them with a "not".

Fact is nothing is etched in concrete.. I can show you a 12 volt battery that is every bit as capable as a pair of sixes, I can show you one that is MORE capable than a pair of sixes (However don't ask me to pick it up).

Fact is when we talk about six volt pairs we are usually talking about a specific (GC-2) Size battery, 230 amp hours, Deep cycle.

But in 12 volt.. Well Group 24, 27,29, 31, 73, 83, 4D 8D and a whole lot more. They come in Deep Cycle (Rare) Marine/Deep cycle (Really a starting battery) and Starting.

I have 12 volt batteries where you can count the amp hours on your fingers, and not run out, I've used 12 volt batteries in the thousand amp hour range or more.

So when you say "12 volt this and six volt that.. You are showing off what you don't know.

Now to the original poster.... First thing I'd do is clean the contacts.. Odds are that "12 volt "Deep Cycle" the didit tech put in is a marine/deep cycle and that, if in good condition, should start your vehicle, however dirty connections, both at the battery and elsewhere, can prevent that from happening. THEN consider a new battery. Avoid Optima, Goo with the biggest STARTING battery that will fit.. If it's a really hard to start engine consider Lifeline AGM but otherwise save your money,.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Now to the original poster.... First thing I'd do is clean the contacts.. Odds are that "12 volt "Deep Cycle" the didit tech put in is a marine/deep cycle and that, if in good condition, should start your vehicle, however dirty connections, both at the battery and elsewhere, can prevent that from happening. THEN consider a new battery. Avoid Optima, Goo with the biggest STARTING battery that will fit.. If it's a really hard to start engine consider Lifeline AGM but otherwise save your money,.
Thanks. I'll clean the contacts and also throw in my car battery temporarily to see what it does. The engine generally starts up right away with no problem... (at least on aux switch).

sjkted
Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
As Mr D stated your chassis batteries are designed for the high power needs of the starter. Deep cycle batteries, while they can start your engine were not designed for this purpose. Just Saying..
X 2!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #22

How about having this genius put it back like it was? You should not mix battery types in a battery bank!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #23

Here's an update on this thread -- I put in an ordinary starter battery with a 650 CCA rating and it starts right up on it every time.

I pulled the old battery and it tested at only 11.3V. I'm charging it tonight and then will take it to AutoZone to load test it on Thursday. I would like to be able to use it for a non-RV solar project. If it's no good, I at least get $10 back for a core charge.

Re: having the genius put it back -- if only it were so easy. I feel we've been "taken" by this type of thing more than a few times. The RV is not parked that close to where I live. And, often when I have to deal with "RV issues", I need to take a day off work. Unfortunately, the rig isn't driven that frequently and often when I have found out a problem exists, it's a good deal after any service work has been done.

sjkted
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #24

I've seen way too many battery issues come up on these forums. I going witj the new lithium po4 batteries right fom the start gound some o n Amazon for $151. Plan to bbuy $1k worth to start with solar panels.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
I've seen way too many battery issues come up on these forums. I going witj the new lithium po4 batteries right fom the start gound some o n Amazon for $151. Plan to bbuy $1k worth to start with solar panels.

Without doing a lot of research, I'm seeing a LiFe PO4 200Ah battery pack for about $1500 that has only a 1000 charge/discharge cycle life. This would give you about 2 years of service similar to a pair of 6V GC2 lead acid batteries.

I found a 500Ah one for $6000 that would be similar to 4 6V GC2 batteries.

I just don't think Lithium ion is ready for prime time in RVs yet, at least from a cost/performance point of view. I hope you'll post details of your project.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #26

I still think dolar iscthe way to go with the lifepo4 batteries. I just saw a 240w kit for$1162. Including solar panel , battery and controller. Good place to start.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #27

According to Wikipedia lithium ion phosphate batteries have a longer life expectancy than lead acid and charge faster too. Plus their voltage doesn't drop down like lead a cid so even at 2% charge I'd stoll get 12 volts unlike the 3 volts you get wiXbo
th lead acid. And with the solar hookup Ill never have to worry about dead batteries. Takes two to four hours of dunlight to charge the system. Plus there's always the backup generator
Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #28

I just saw 48v 20ah lfp batteries on ebay for $460. Each $460. And a 12v 10ah lfp battery for $71.00

Tags
battery