Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery Bank AMPS

OK guys (and gals)....Ive been reading so much I'm gettng confused. How do you calculate the total amphr capacity of your battery bank.

I have four golf cart batteries (110amps each). I think the total capacity of this setup is 220amps correct? If not, please let me know what I am doing/calculating wrong.

As always.....most appreciated.

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
OK guys (and gals)....Ive been reading so much I'm gettng confused. How do you calculate the total amphr capacity of your battery bank.

I have four golf cart batteries (110amps each). I think the total capacity of this setup is 220amps correct? If not, please let me know what I am doing/calculating wrong.

As always.....most appreciated.
if they are 6 volt golf cart batteries they are probably in series parallel configuration and yes that would be 220 amp hours

Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought that most 6 volt golf cart batteries are around 210-240 amp hours each. Lets say 220.

Then 2 in series = 12 volts and 220 amp hours. Then 2 (sets) in parallel == 440 amp hours total.

Then you don't want to draw them down below 50% = 220 usable amp hours.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
KIX

Assuming your battery pack is wired in series/parallel you have a total of 880AH at 6VDC. Or, stated as 12VDC, you have 440AH. Of the total AH you should not use below 50% state of charge. Recharge when at 50%. This is all a 20 hour rate as stated here: Trojan Battery Company
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have four golf cart batteries (110amps each).
That would be unusual in itself, since golf cart batteries (6v) are nearly always in the 210-230 AH range. I've seen a few 12v batteries described as "golf cart", though, and those are often less.

The total AH is calculated differently depending on the type of wiring. When batteries are connected in parallel (as you would with 12v batteries), the individual battery AH are added together to get the total. When wired in series, they do not add and the total AH is equal to the smallest AH of the individual batteries.

6v golf cart batteries are wired in series pairs. Each pair has the AH of one battery (do not add together), but if you have more than one pair, the pairs are in parallel and the AH of each pair is added to that of the other pairs.

So, how many batteries and what voltage and wiring?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

That would be unusual in itself, since golf cart batteries (6v) are nearly always in the 210-230 AH range. I've seen a few 12v batteries described as "golf cart", though, and those are often less.

The total AH is calculated differently depending on the type of wiring. When batteries are connected in parallel (as you would with 12v batteries), the individual battery AH are added together to get the total. When wired in series, they do not add and the total AH is equal to the smallest AH of the individual batteries.

6v golf cart batteries are wired in series pairs. Each pair has the AH of one battery (do not add together), but if you have more than one pair, the pairs are in parallel and the AH of each pair is added to that of the other pairs.

So, how many batteries and what voltage and wiring?
I'm finally squared away. My system is 440 ah ( 4 6v batteries at 220 ah each. 2 wired in series and 2 series pairs wired in parallel).

Thanks to all for clearing this up for me.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are such things as 12 volt Golf Car batteries and the ones I have seen are indeed in the 110 amp hour range.

First: Make sure you are looking at the amp hours at the 20 hour rate rating..

Some folks confuse recovery time or cranking amps or reserve capacity or some such with amp hours.. They do not equal, or for that matter compute (no direct relationship).

Some companies (Wal-Mart for example) Rate at the "1 amp rate" so a Group 24 is over 100 amp hours (At the 1 amp rate) would you believe 75 at the 20 hour rate (I would, though the actual amp hour rating is not 75, it is very close).

Now. Six volt batteries are wired like this

220 amp hour----220 amp hour Total 220 amp hour

If you have four then

220 amp hour ---- 220 amp hour +
220 amp hour ---- 220 amp hours = 440 amp hours total

120 volt are wired like this

110 +
110 +
110 +
110 = 440 amp hours.

Does this help?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
440 AH would also be my guess based on the set-up you described. Of course just to confuse you even further, your *usable* amps are 50% of this or 220 AH. It's best never to drain deep-cycle batteries below 50%.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are such things as 12 volt Golf Car batteries and the ones I have seen are indeed in the 110 amp hour range.

First: Make sure you are looking at the amp hours at the 20 hour rate rating..

Some folks confuse recovery time or cranking amps or reserve capacity or some such with amp hours.. They do not equal, or for that matter compute (no direct relationship).

Some companies (Wal-Mart for example) Rate at the "1 amp rate" so a Group 24 is over 100 amp hours (At the 1 amp rate) would you believe 75 at the 20 hour rate (I would, though the actual amp hour rating is not 75, it is very close).

Now. Six volt batteries are wired like this

220 amp hour----220 amp hour Total 220 amp hour

If you have four then

220 amp hour ---- 220 amp hour +
220 amp hour ---- 220 amp hours = 440 amp hours total

120 volt are wired like this

110 +
110 +
110 +
110 = 440 amp hours.

Does this help?
I think you meant to say 12 volt
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I can attest to this. I use four of them in, of all things, my golf cart. Although these set ups using 12v cart batteries are unusual and not favored by most cart manufacturers, they do exist.

Full timing in our 40DP, we never set up without having at least electrical power so I didn't invest in true deep cycle batteries for the coach. I would use WalMart/Costco Marine batteries and end up replacing them every 18 to 24 months.

When I got my cart, I was amazed at what those four cart batteries could do. Mine don't even list the amp hours on them, and I sure don't know how to equate the usage of a coach to that of a golf cart... but that cart will cover 36 holes in a day and still be going strong when I plug it back in.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Full timing in our 40DP, we never set up without having at least electrical power so I didn't invest in true deep cycle batteries for the coach. I would use WalMart/Costco Marine batteries and end up replacing them every 18 to 24 months.

Rick
That's exactly why they shouldn't be used. Those with 6v CG2s go 10 years without replacing them (if maintained properly) Costco and Sam's sells GC2s for under $90. So you aren't saving a dime

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery