Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

Battery Boost Problems

I started up my RV just to let it run and thought I pushed the generator button but instead I pushed the battery boost. I immediately lost all kinds of electrical functions such as dash a/c radio etc. The house battery now won't flip on even. I have gone through the fuse panel and all the functions I mentioned have a fuse intact. I wish those two switches weren't next to each other! So I guess I my question is, what the heck happened? Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't believe that the button is covered or come with a warning. I've been looking through the owners manual but I have nothing. It's an 05 HR.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually the Battery Boost solenoid is activated in one of two ways
One by pressing the switch and
Two by a wire from the RUN terminal on the ignition switch.
I don't see how trying to activate an already activated solenoid could cause your problem.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds to me that you had a dead house battery and when you push the aux start switch the rush of current from the engine battery blew a fuse between the battery and aux functions it normally feeds. This can be a fuse link up near the battery. It is fairly sizable in the 50 amp range. It probably is not mentioned in the manual for it seldom is a problem and the root cause needs to be fixed so the manufacturer does not want an owner without a volt meter to be messing with it.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a BCC you might have tripped a DC circuit breaker.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Yeah I think I have a big problem now! I can't even get the generator to fire up anymore. What would be the first thing to blow?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is your voltages at the batteries, chassis and house. Cannot help without some info. Did you find the fuse near the chassis battery?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #7

I'm off tomorrow and I will start at the batteries and work my way back
Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You might check the chassis battery switch circuit also. If that relay got fried somehow that would cause the same problem. If you have a rotary switch that would be different. Also, a poor ground would give this same condition.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

Well I finally got a day off to check the chassis battery and it read 12.8 rechecked the internal and external fuse box and found no problems there. So I went past the battery switch to the huge fuse box on the side and found that fuses 12 through 25 would not light but they were not blown either. Could this be the relays?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Now we need specifics. What is your coach make, model and year. Must look at the wiring diagram to see what is up.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery