Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

battery care

I just purchased a 2000 coachman sportcoach pusher,i am going to do a little remodeling inside over the winter and my question is,should i just keep it plugged in while working on it or keep it plugged in all the time?I would probably work on it a few times a week so im thinking it would stay charged but not overcharge...or am i wrong?
Martin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #2

What is the source that you're plugging into, 15amp, 20amp, 50amp...?

I say leave it plugged in all the time. You won't over charge the batt's. However...

Since this coach is 18yrs. old, it may still have reg. light bulbs throughout. If so, one thing on your list that I'd do first is change them all out LED's. That will really help reduce a ton of amperage draw since you'll have most of them ON all the time inside while working. LED's will also keep the coach cooler in the summer.

The second thing I'd do before I started on all the inside mod's is tackle the battery bay and get those all up to snuff too.

I could elaborate a lot more on this but I usually end up writing to long of a post and I'm not in the mood for that right now. To early.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your charger is not a smart charger you may easily overcharge the batteries. Just keep checking the water level in them. I am not a fan of leaving it plugged in all the time, but for that frequent use, I would leave it plugged in an keep an eye on the batteries. When not actually using the rv, you could turn the 12v master switch off. Remember the chassis battery needs a charge and water check from time to time, especially if it is not charged by the coach converter.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I would keep it plugged in while the work is going on. Just be sure to check the battery fluid levels regularly!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When possible, always plug it in. If it is a 50 amp (or 30 amp) coach, then it's best to plug into a matching outlet. If a 50 or 30A outlet is not avaialble, get an adapter and plug it in to a standard 15amp outlet.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

With a 2000 vintage coach, I would want to make sure the onboard charger was indeed a multi-stage model. Back then, even some of the better grade converter/chargers were single stage. The Magnetec 950, for example.

Wit the caveat that it is a 3-stage charger, yes, leave it plugged in.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a good three stage charger I'd just leave it plugged in all the time. I do that with my rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery