Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
Question Battery change out

Has anyone ever changed batteries in a 2006 Phaeton QSH? We just got this RV (new to us) and I'm afraid I'm on a steep learning curve. My batteries appear to be fully charged but still can't open slide-outs. A few friends say it's the battery amp hour capacity causing this problem. The batteries may be 8 years old so it may be time to change them out. Anyone run across the problem before?

Biker_Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
I'd say if they are fully charged that's not the problem although they are getting some age. Are you suppose to have your rig running or just the key on. Have you tried plugging it in? Are they trying to come out if not possible fuse.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Way different coaches, But, mine says to have the engine running when putting slides in or out.
2004 National See Breeze LX8375, Towing a 2012 Liberty
retired. Now What?
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Mine requires the rig to be running as well when the slides are operating.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Mine can't be running for the slides to work.
nogoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
American Coach Owners Club
Also, some slides require the parking brake to be set.
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Different motorhome, but ours requires the air levelling system power to be turned first.
2008 Travel Supreme Insignia, hydralift
2011 Jeep Wrangler, M&G Braking
2012 H-D FLTRX
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
If none of the above work and you think it is batteries...remove the negative post coming from your battery bank for 24 hours. Then measure with a voltmeter at the BATTERY posts for voltage. A good reading would be 12.6V or better. A bad reading would be 12.2V or less. Something in between is showing wear.
Frankly...I doubt it is your batteries...unless they are really dead, you should be seeing something TRYING to happen...but it is a useful exercise for you anyway...and you should check the distilled water levels while you're there!
Good luck!
Cam... Georgetown 280DS 2015
Vespa Lx150 2013 Stella Auto125 2014
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Mine says to have the engine running, but they work fine with it off.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
I continue to be fascinated by the statement: "engine must be running to deploy slides," really????? Can someone give me the definitive explanation of why your engine has to be running--I am all ears on this one.
Ignition on/aux, HWH on, jacks down, parking brake on, interlock disengaged, etc., are just some of the protocals for slide ops--suggest you find a local RV expert to survey your rig with you. Eight year old bats [wet cell] are at or near the end of their useful life but think we are all mostly guessing about your particular situation.
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The slide motor is a heavy drain on the batteries causing a voltage drop. With the engine running the alternator is supplying power to the batteries making it easier on the slide motor. At least that's the way it works on my coach. My slide operates fine just on the batteries alone. However, with the shore line connected or the engine running I can tell the difference.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
On my 2009 Phaeton, my slides won't operate with the engine running but I do have to have the key turned to accessory. Different years were wired differently unfortunately. So my suggestion is to plug in the coach, turn the key to accessory and then try to open the electric slides. Over on the Tiffin RV Network it seems there are a lot of combinations for the different model years. Key on accessory, engine running, etc. However, I will say this, if those batteries are 8 years old they probably need replacing for sure. My first set died at 4 years because I let them drain too low too many times while boondocking before I became educated to set the inverter to start the generator when they reach 12.0 volts. They may charge fully but won't hold a charge for any length of time.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
My front slide will operate with engine on or off. However my rear slide will not operate with engine running. Not sure why. But I like to have shore power on because it does pull some juice.
Oh also found out my front slide will not operate if someone leaves a basement door on that side open. Won't mention any names.
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
Bottom line, batteries 8 years old need to be replaced. 4 years is iffy, 5 years pushing the limit, 8 is living on borrowed time with no ability to store amperage. Plug into shore power or run generator to operate slides.

2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote