Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #1

Battery charger questions for winterization

I am aware of the suggested “Battery Tender -or- Battery Minder” options that some suggest for winter storage of engine & coach batteries (total six batteries in my case).

I have looked at both and am trying to figure out what their benefit is over this alternative suggestion;
What about using a standard trickle charger on a “timer”?
My friend suggested he runs his charger this way through the winter and has avoided the expense of purchasing one of these units.
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Next if I need one of the (Battery Tender or Battery Minder’s);
What size would you recommend? I have been told I’ll need at least a 5 amp Unit to allow charging all 6 batteries at one time.

If you have suggestions (brand you prefer) or comments about my friend’s alternative method, I would love to here them.

Many thanks,

Dan
dskimball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 05:57 AM   #2

Doesn't your coach have a battery charging unit built into the inverter?

On my 06 Discovery, I leave the coach plugged in 24/7. The charger is designed to maintain a trickle charge on all batteries.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #3

Yes I do have charger system and could plug in to 120v where I winter the coach.

For some reason many folks are telling me I need either one of these charger systems.

Can you confirm (from experience) that the inverter charger system is good enough for winter storage/condition of my batteries in the North East cold winters?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dan
Old 11-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Depending on the inverter , it will float the batteries at a specified voltage to ensure the batteries are 100% charged. The problem with chargers is they will keep a small amount of current running into the batteries to maintain this 100% charge. This will cause some water loss. It's kind of like idling your engine to keep it warm and available for full power instantly.
Charged batteries will not freeze unless the temp drops to below -50. With no charging action , there is very little chemical reaction in the battery , so no loss of water. The cheapest and easiest way is to fully charge the batteries , then disconnect them for the winter. In the spring reconnect the batteries and charge them again. They will self discharge slightly over the winter.The batteries in my motorhome are 10 yrs old and still work just fine. I own several pieces of heavy equipment and have used that method for the last 30 yrs. They get parked in Nov and will start in May without charging the batteries. Up here in Northern Ontario the temps can fall to -40 in winter.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Than you Soppy I appreciate your time and thorough comments. They kind of solidify something I have said to friend (experts).

In my case, I do not have a warm dry place to store 6 batteries properly, so I guess plugging in and using the charger inverter/charger is all I’ll have to do.

Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskimball1 View Post
Than you Soppy I appreciate your time and thorough comments. They kind of solidify something I have said to friend (experts).

In my case, I do not have a warm dry place to store 6 batteries properly, so I guess plugging in and using the charger inverter/charger is all I’ll have to do.

Thanks again.
Warm is not the ideal batty storage. They will lose charge faster as temp increases.
Cold is the best batty storage but they do like to be fully charged. Long periods at less than full charge decreases performance and life.
Flooded batteries discharge quicker than AGM and should be recharged periodically if at all possible.
Chassis starting battts are more sensitive to long periods at less thsn full charge than true deep cycle battys (eg golf cart battys)
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskimball1 View Post

Thanks again.
You don't say what make/model/year your coach is which is always helpful so forum members can provide accurate information for your request.
However,

If you have access to power to plug the coach in that is by far the best method to store your coach and maintain the batteries.
Assuming you have two Maintenance Free chassis batteries and four Wet Cell house batteries. Over the course of the winter you should check the Electrolyte level in the house batteries at least every 4-6 weeks and top off with distilled water as required. It's important to not let the level drop below the top of the plates.
Make sure all battery connections are kept clean and tight.
Do Not turn off any battery disconnect switches in the coach. They must be left on for the charging system to operate.
If you have Propane, fill the tank before storage, shut off the valve at the tank.
Also fill the fuel tank before storage.
This will minimize the chances of condensation in the tanks.

The above is assuming your system is designed to maintain the chassis batteries while on shore power. You need to confirm this before going into storage. There are some coaches that Do Not have this capability and will require the addition of another device. Again, knowing what your coach is would be helpful.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Dennis45;

First, thank you for your comments.
The coach is a 2004 Mandalay 40D.
I am sure the inverter/charge system will charge the batteries properly, as they did this summer on many occasions.
I think, all of the batteries are “sealed”, and there is no access to look at electrolyte levels.
(All batteries were replaced in February 2017).

I am glad you mentioned NOT TURNING OFF DISCONNECT, as I routinely do this when I park. It makes sense to leave it on a for charging!!

All connections are very clean and tight. Fuel tank was filled, and propane tank is turned off.

If I can depend upon the inverter/charger to do the trick, I should be all set.

Thanks again for the explanation and help. I really appreciate it!

Dan
Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

You received a lot of accurate and factual info in these post. I can't find fault in any of them!

When you say they are sealed batteries, are they 6 volt golf cart batteries? Or 12 volt deep cycle batteries?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Some of the older coaches don't have a converter/maintainer and will over charge the batteries if left on all the time. I found this out the hard way. I ended up replacing my converter with a converter/maintainer and now I can leave it plugged in 24/7 365 without any problems. I've also added a battery maintainer to my start battery.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

I think our Mandalay has the proper inverter/charger system as it did recharge batteries properly on a few trips this summer.
That said; I think one failure I caused was shutting off battery disconnect switch when I left coach parked.
Moving forward I plan to plug in (at storage lot) and keep battery switch on!
I am hoping we’ll be okay.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
Some of the older coaches don't have a converter/maintainer and will over charge the batteries if left on all the time. I found this out the hard way. I ended up replacing my converter with a converter/maintainer and now I can leave it plugged in 24/7 365 without any problems. I've also added a battery maintainer to my start battery.
Jim makes a good point. Some coaches have a system where both the coach and starting battery banks are kept charged (like mine) and others will only keep the coach battery bank charged. It pays to know your coach. This would be easy to check by looking at the voltages of the starting batteries after a day of being on the shore power. If they match the voltages of the coach batteries then your good.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
What did you replace yours with Jim?
Mine is starting to only charge the batteries when it feels like it, rather than when they need it. And recently it's not been feeling like it very often. So I'm thinking than rather than a direct replacement I might go for something with a couple of decades worth of improvements in it.

Tags
battery, charger, winter