Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #15

All motorhomes will charge both the engine batteries (chassis) and coach batteries when the engine is running as long as all systems are working properly.

When hooked up to shore power or generator, the coach batteries will be charged but not necessarily the engine batteries, assuming all systems are working properly.

Newer coaches have a Trik-L-Start (Winnebago specifically) which charge the engine batteries when hooked up to shore power or generator. For Winnies pre-2006 diesel coaches did not have this option installed from the factory.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
The coach is a Winnebago Ultimate advantage; But I do need to question The dealers/posters as to WHY do the dealers Install Trickle charger to keep the Engine batteries charged While pluged in to shore power.. WHY ???? Also for the poster.. I did serve an apprintaship In motorhomes . repaired them For only 45 years ; so I do take it personal . when they make some off the wall comment; My postings are from past and present experiance; And to slam a fellow poster is Very childish; OH WELL::

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Lets remember An Isolater Is just A large Diode. That only lets current flow one way. In order to charge Both ways a relay has to be Involved ;; An isolater will not do that..
No, i think you are wrong, they have 3 diodes and no relay is required.

Battery isolator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Northern Industrial Battery Isolator — 120 Amp, Model# B-120A1B2E | Energy Storage Batteries | Northern Tool + Equipment

Jim E
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
bachler the engine bats need to be keep on a charger to keep up with parasidic loads like comp. clocks etc that are hook to them. If mh is not run for weeks the bats will run down so the need for trickle charge. If you worked on mhs for 45 yrs seems like you would be aware of this need.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #19

All the diesel coaches I have owned (2 Winn, national, and ForeTravel) charge both coach and house batts with no operator input when the engine is running provided all systems are working. On my 1999 F/T it's all done with 200A 3 pole diode isolator. If you want to charge the coach batts when plugged in or on the gen you need to turn on the boost sol, it's a 100A cont. duty sol. that goes to the engine side of the above mentioned isolator.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
With regards to the topics of charging batteries and also engine starting with batteries, either the coach or generator, every coach manufacturer decided to do it THEIR way. NOT every coach is the same and even within coach models made by the same manufacturer, they are different.

There are two banks of batteries, named chassis (engine) and coach (house). The chassis battery can be one HUGE battery, 8D usually or more, or it can be a bank of smaller batteries tied together. The coach or house batteries are usually a bank of smaller batteries tied together.

My coach happens to have the capability to charge both battery banks from all of the following: the Cummins engine alternator, the Onan generator, the Solar Cell on the roof or from the shore power. My coach has a Lambert Battery Maintainer (no longer made), a battery isolator relay, and a Bi-Directional Relay/Delay that controls where the voltage comes from and how to distribute it among the two battery banks when needed.

More specifically, if the Cummins diesel engine is running with the alternator providing voltage, it will charge the chassis battery bank first, followed by the coach battery bank next. If the Onan Generator is running, it will charge the coach battery bank first, then once that bank is full, it will switch over to the chassis battery bank. When on shore power, the coach batteries are kept full first, followed by the chassis battery bank. On Solar Cell power, the controller determines where the voltage is needed.

What is really very quirky is how so many different manufacturers decided what battery bank should be used to start the generator. Some have wired the generator to the chassis battery bank and others have wired it to the house battery bank. The correct and ONLY way how the generator should be wired & started is from the Chassis Battery Bank. If it is wired to the coach battery bank and you are using up the coach battery bank with the inverter by not being hooked to shore, once that battery bank has been depleted, how are you going to start the generator from the coach battery bank, DUH !!

The generator should ALWAYS be wired to the chassis battery bank. If you happen to experience a bad chassis battery, you can always use your Battery Boost switch to get the engine or generator started from the coach battery bank. Or if you don't have a Battery Boost switch, you simply take one battery jumper cable and clamp one end onto your coach Positive terminal and the other end would be clamped onto the chassis Positive battery terminal.

Photos of Lambert Battery Maintainer, Bi-Directional Relay/Delay, Battery Isolator and Wiring Diagrams.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Maintainer.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	12253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird Relay.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	12254  

Name:	Electrical Bay-2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	12255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Bay-4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	12256  

Name:	Electrical Bay-3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	12257  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #21

Bachler,
Not doubting you, just curious about what you are saying. You have said that you have a Ultimate Advantage and your profile says it is a 38ft model. Unfortunantly you never said what year model it is. So,for the sake of interest, I looked at the wiring diagrams for a 2001 Ultimate Advantage Q38K. That model has a Battery Boost switch (left side of dash) with a Aux Start Relay (cross connects chassis and coach battery banks) and BIRD Relay Controller located in the bay below the drivers seat. The relay control signals from both the BIRD Controller and Battery Boost switch feed a seperate AUX Start Solinoid Relay (also loacted in the bay under the drivers seat). The circuits are wired for a typical BIRD relay configuration. That means, at least for the 2001 year model, the engine alternator can charge the coach batteries (along with chassis batetry) and the generator/shore power can charge the chassis battery. Without knowing your year model I cannot say (based on the Winnebago wiring diagrams) if your rig should have these features or not. Please do not take this information as argumentative, I was simply trying to understand what you are saying and apply that information to the documentation.

Dave
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #22

I have never been an RV technician and never kept the same job for 35 to 45 years. I have, however, owned several MHs. A 1989 CC Concept, 1994 CC Concept, 2002 HR Endeavor and currently a 1997 Beaver. They have all been wired the same. Alternator charged both battery banks through a battery isolator. When running the generator or on shore power, only the house batteries were charged, with a converter/inverter. To assure the chassis batteries remained fully charged, I added a "trickle charger". I think newer MHs come equipped with a device, "trickle charger", as standard equipment. At least the more expensive MHs do. A "boost" relay, which connected the house batteries to the coach batteries, was provided, in all cases, to start the engine from the house batteries if the coach batteries would not do the job.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Jim E
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
(Thanks) In a prior post By a fine poster. He stated that every manufactor has there own way of doing there own way of wireing that Varies between different models. I guess thats what I was trying to say all along. But some missunderstood; and tryed to make it personal ; Thanks again for clearing that up. Some do;; some don't ;;;some don't want to;;; ??? Life is good
Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As mentioned all options are found on mh's. My last mh I installed a Trik-l-start. It was a Winnebago. I believe they come standard now. It had the boost solenoid but it closed only when the button was pushed or the engine running.

On my new MH I have the BIRD device that turns a continuous duty solenoid on and does the same thing the boost button does except it is on all the time when there is a charging voltage detected on either bank of batteries.

For anyone interested here is some information on the BIRD and how it works. There have been several models over the years but the function is the same.

Intellitec IRD
Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bachler, what yr model do you have? Just curious. I looked at the schematics too for fun.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #26

For Winnebago at least
In the beginning there was the "NORM/DUAL/MOM" switch
Then they tried the Isolator Diode box with a seperate AUX start.
Now the BIRD controller is the norm (combined with battery disconnects in order to confuse the issue).

The lowly constant duty solinoid is there for all 3 versions.

Just different ways to skin the cat.

Dave

Tags
battery, charging