Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery Charging

Well Folks. Here it is;; In the past I stated That on some coaches The Engine DOES NOT charge the coach batteries. And vice/versa, I seen a big luxury coach tandem axel The factory was once Owned by Harley Davidson; Any way when some one suggested using the Battery boost . The fellow took offence Said he would just start the main engine and charge the House Batteries , He let it be knowen He was a sales person and he new what to do.. After hearing that thing Rattle for 1/2 hour . Supprise MR; know it all the batteries were still dead, . Then sheepishly He went in the coach And pushed the boost switch and after a time it fired off;;. Oh on our DP the Engine Does NOT charge the House Batteries. AND when it is plugged in Or the genset running it does NOT charge the Chassic batteries. There have been many posts. This is the way it was this weekend. and I carry 2 Battery chargers with me and I could not count how many people barrowed them.. If you don't have a boost switch and your coach battery is dead you are SOL::every one that barrowed the chargers, said they were told that they cross over. coach charges chassic/chassic charges coach. Not all cvoaches DO;;

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

On all the MHs I have owned, running the engine charged both house and chassis battery banks through a battery isolator. When on shore power or running the generator, only the house batteries are charged unless you have a trickle charger as original equipment or after market.

Jim E

Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a fact that sometimes the isolator solenoid... Fails.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Lets remember An Isolater Is just A large Diode. That only lets current flow one way. In order to charge Both ways a relay has to be Involved ;; An isolater will not do that..
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH charged both the house and chassis batteries when plugged in to shore power, and when the gen is running. I'm not going by the books. I use a DVM to check battery voltage with and without 110 on the coach. Both batteries have about 13.6 volts when the coach has 110. When I was checking the current both batteries were almost fully charged so there was only 8 amps charging the chassis battery and about 5 amps charging the house batteries (2 - 6 volt). My charger (came with the coach) is capable of charging 30 amp. I do not know about other coaches. These were the results of testing after reading this post and I wanted to know about how my coach charges my batteries.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Well Folks. Here it is;; In the past I stated That on some coaches The Engine DOES NOT charge the coach batteries. And vice/versa, I seen a big luxury coach tandem axel The factory was once Owned by Harley Davidson; Any way when some one suggested using the Battery boost . The fellow took offence Said he would just start the main engine and charge the House Batteries , He let it be knowen He was a sales person and he new what to do.. After hearing that thing Rattle for 1/2 hour . Supprise MR; know it all the batteries were still dead, . Then sheepishly He went in the coach And pushed the boost switch and after a time it fired off;;. Oh on our DP the Engine Does NOT charge the House Batteries. AND when it is plugged in Or the genset running it does NOT charge the Chassic batteries. There have been many posts. This is the way it was this weekend. and I carry 2 Battery chargers with me and I could not count how many people barrowed them.. If you don't have a boost switch and your coach battery is dead you are SOL::every one that barrowed the chargers, said they were told that they cross over. coach charges chassic/chassic charges coach. Not all cvoaches DO;;

That explains it! !!!! I would not have said that like that............ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Lets remember An Isolater Is just A large Diode. That only lets current flow one way. In order to charge Both ways a relay has to be Involved ;; An isolater will not do that..
Wrong again.. there are two types (well 3 when you get down to it) Types of isolators

Diode type, which you described, but that's not what's on most motor homes.

Solenoid type, which as I said before can fail

And "Bi-Directional" solenoid type, where the house charges the chassis even as the chassis (Engine) can charge the house,, and as with all solenoids it too can fail.

So can the diodes.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What model Winnebago and yr?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Wrong again.. there are two types (well 3 when you get down to it) Types of isolators

Diode type, which you described, but that's not what's on most motor homes.

Solenoid type, which as I said before can fail

And "Bi-Directional" solenoid type, where the house charges the chassis even as the chassis (Engine) can charge the house,, and as with all solenoids it too can fail.

So can the diodes.
right

when I bought my MH, I suspected the house batteries were not being charged when the engine was running. Check of the wiring schematic showed a pretty simple set up. Solenoid that is energized any time the boost switch is pressed or anytime the ignition switch is in the "on" position. Pretty simple, nothing fancy.
Took it back to the dealer for the 30 day warranty, they agreed, replaced the solenoid. Now when the engine is running I can go to the elect panel and read that both batteries read the same voltage.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
A diode Is a diode.. They only let current flow in one direction; You put 2 diodes in that is the same as hooking them togather; Without any thing; In a prior post someone stated. I was a bit harsh.. Well my oh my; I'm having a tough time getting through;;; I say FALLOW the Electrial path Of current;; Don't just assume'' life is good
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #11

It would not make sense for a coach to have a booster switch that will connect house and chassis batteries together via a continuous duty solenoid but not have the alternator charge through the same path. The OP is definitely wrong here. If not using the generator while traveling the house batteries would be deader then door nails by the time you reached your destination. All modern coaches are designed to charge house batteries while in transit and if this is not happening something is broke.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sure seems strange your engine won't charge the batteries and vice versa. My mh manual recommends using the generator and charger to get the batteries up insted of straining the alternator.

I would love to know the model number of your rv. I suspect you have something not working properly and would love the challenge of sorting it out. It might not charge the engine batteries when on shoreline or generator but seems strange the alternator won't. Another reason for knowing more about it is for future reference when someone asks questions.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
A diode Is a diode.. They only let current flow in one direction; You put 2 diodes in that is the same as hooking them togather; Without any thing; In a prior post someone stated. I was a bit harsh.. Well my oh my; I'm having a tough time getting through;;; I say FALLOW the Electrial path Of current;; Don't just assume'' life is good
I don,t think you are getting through because you are not right. I worked on an average of three motorhomes a day for fifteen years. I have never seen a motorhome that didn't charge both batteries if it was working correctly. They do use two diodes one feed comes from the alternator. they put one diode in the charge wire to the house battery. They put a second diode in the charge wire to the chassis battery.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I guess we're unusual - house batteries do charge during driving; chassis batteries charge when house batteries come to float through an echo charger. Would seem some people need to really think about what they need and then get things put together that are appropriate for their use.

Am always wondering why people don't list the coach and model that they have?

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging