Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Charging Question?

I have removed the two 6 volt deep cycle coach batteries from my RV for the winter. I will be removing the engine battery soon as well. Its too much trouble trying to get to the RV frequently enough to start it and let it charge. My question is, Do I have to maintenance charge my coach batteries separately as 6 volt batteries, or can I connect them in series and charge them at the same time on the 12 volt setting?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, they can be charged with a 12 VDC charger providing that they are cabled together in series to form a 12 VDC battery.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, what Richard said.

Some folks claim to have luck just storing the fully charged batteries but it seem to me that a regular maintenance charge is a better idea.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Before you remove your batteries, take a couple of photos so you hook them up correctly next spring...you might forget during the cold months. Set them on a wooden board, not the concrete floor, hook them in series, hook up a 12v, 1.5v maintenance charger and you will be ready for spring... ditto your 12v chassis battery.

I have 120v in my barn and plug in my tractor, riding mower, motorcycle, motor home (shore power) and away I go.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks George. I did take a picture. I like to think I would remember, but in reality I would probably be standing there scratching my head wondering how to hook them up.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Before you remove your batteries, take a couple of photos so you hook them up correctly next spring...you might forget during the cold months. Set them on a wooden board, not the concrete floor, hook them in series, hook up a 12v, 1.5v maintenance charger and you will be ready for spring... ditto your 12v chassis battery.

I have 120v in my barn and plug in my tractor, riding mower, motorcycle, motor home (shore power) and away I go.

George, did you mean '1.5 amps' not volts ?

Which model maintenance charger do you use ?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

I love my solar panel for constant trickle charge. Always 100% charge. I leave in the northeast and no problem with flat roof mount. Never have to pull out the batteries
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
George, did you mean '1.5 amps' not volts ?

Which model maintenance charger do you use ?

Thanks
Thanks, yes, amps....(it is hell getting old!) I have several chargers, I have Battery Tenders and several made by Schumacher that I bought at Wal Mart. Some are 1.25 and some are 1.5 amps...I keep them on my motorcycles (2), riding mower, ATV and my tractor 365/24/7. About once a month I hook them to my pickup and wife's car just to give them a little help. I also hook one up to my Bounder (2 6v deep cycle) batteries, unhooking my shore power. I also do the same for my engine battery. I leave them hooked up 24-48 hours.

I admit to being paranoid about getting stuck in the boon docks of west Texas, so I change out my batteries every three years...yeah, I know, they don't need it with proper care, but like I said, I am paranoid...ha ha

Hey, have a battery/breakdown problem between Lajites and Redford, TX on Hwy 170 just west of Big Bend Nat'l Park and here is your problem(s)... 1) no cell service. 2) 110 in the summer months. 3) A car every 1 or 2 hours. 4) You are 100' from the Rio Grande, which you can wade across in summer months. 5) Exchange students wade across and take your tires off during the night, or worse. 6) You run out of water. Yeah, I am paranoid...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarmor View Post
I love my solar panel for constant trickle charge. Always 100% charge. I leave in the northeast and no problem with flat roof mount. Never have to pull out the batteries
My solor panel is of little use as I park the motorhome in my barn, plugged into a 30 amp circuit, but it helps some while camping if not on shore power...
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliwks View Post
Thanks George. I did take a picture. I like to think I would remember, but in reality I would probably be standing there scratching my head wondering how to hook them up.
Yeah, Steve, the pic will help as in a year or two when you do this again, ya might not remember...it won't hurt, thats for sure...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarmor View Post
How do you keep it from blowing over or getting covered in snow and ice? I like that option but I thought I would have the above listed problems. Plus being on a cover blowing in the wind, I can't see how the panel would stay in place.

Tags
battery, charging