Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #1

Battery connections

I need help. I removed both house batts and start batts. Now for the life of me can't remember how to reconnect them. I have a 2001 national islander. Can someone walk me through what wires go to what batts!!
Thanks
dirt-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What do you have for batteries? Two 6 volt batteries for house, and one 12 volt battery for chassis? Or some other combination?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #3

Someone emailed you a picture in July of last year when you had the same problem. Maybe you can find that email.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Posting a picture of the cables and batteries may help get some better responses.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

Hi, I have two 12 volt for house and one 12 volt for start. Yes, there was a pic sent, however could not get a clear pic. Do start batts go on the right side? Obvious the neg and positive cables from the starter go to start batts, but what other cables? Once I can get that info, all other cables go to house batt. I have searched both the web and this site with no luck.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Maybe I'm looking at this too simply.

But, you've got about the simplest of battery arrangements possible. Two 12V for house and one for starting, correct? Well, since just about every motorhome on the planet uses regular 12VDC for house ops, i.e. lights, furnace, water pump, some fridges, etc., then that would simply mean, all the red cables for the house batteries, would go to the positive posts on the the house batteries. It would make things just a tad more difficult it you had two 6V batteries 'cause you'd have some cross wiring of a couple of cables to add to the mix. But, you don't. So, it seems to me, everything should be pretty straight forward.

And, that would also mean all the black cables would go to the negative batteries. If, there's a short set of connector cables that link the positives together then it's obvious where they go and, the same for the negative side of things.

Now, as for you starting, that too seems ultra simple. Normally, you'd have one red and one black. But, in many cases in motor homes, smaller peripheral cables are added to each terminal as after thoughts or, just because that's the way the coach builder decides to do things. Again, I'm just looking at this situation as logical as I can, without seeing your particular battery cable/wiring setup.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Try this.

Get a voltmeter, a roll of masking tape, sharpie pen, pencil and a very large sheet of paper.

First action is label each and every wire.

Place a tape flag on each wire and name them
Does not matter...1, 2 , 3 or r1, b2 but use large easy to see lettering...why the sharpie is suggested.

Next determine which are grounds.

Seems simple but not so much...A friend had a battery shop change batteries due to location and weight and the battery shop left off the ground wire from the converter...It was a home run cable back to inverter that we had to trace to verify. ..You will as well.

Get your voltmeter and set to ohms and confirm it works.

Now attach one wire to a shiny spot and check every wire for continuity.

All wires will have some measurement but only the ones with near ZERO ohms matter.

These should be black but could be anything...maybe large white.

Large red are usually main feeds

If you have a power panel with selenoids that are labeled look for the one for starting or engine and connect meter to the battery connection then check wires to locate it.

Repeat for other.

The little wires will be more difficult so wait on those.

Once you determine all grounds and main large wires connect them to the correct batteries.

The small wires could be either but the ones that look factory meaning rubber coated connector likely goes to engine and aftermarket just crimped in go to cabin.

Connect the small wires one at a time and go inside to see what now works.

Remember to turn on the battery switch and the cabin battery may power that device.

Keeping notes?

Remember to record everything on paper as you go.

When finished you should know what each small wire does and can ask here for guidance to which battery to connect it to.

Note:there should NOT be many wires connected directly to the batteries as that defeats the ability to disconnect them remotely.

So your next step may be to determine proper place to connect them.

Suspect PO may have added things that caused battery drain by connecting direct to battery and not a controlled buss.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #8

This video has a shot of the batteries.
https://youtu.be/7016p4AWCZ4
Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Thank you all for your responses! Will try all suggested. I guess what I'm asking is on my RV there are cables going to my inverter/converter shut offs and control panel. Trying to find out what cables from those to my batts. House and chassis.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Post in the National RV Owners Forum.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/

Nobody knows your motor home better then someone that owns one like it.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery