Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Battery Cut-Off Switch

We purchased a 2007 Monaco Cayman 10 months ago. My wife has gotten into the habit of turning off the Battery Cut-Off switch every time we leave the coach. (Some call this switch a "salesman switch".) She also leaves the refrigerator set to Auto Mode expecting the refrigerator will switch over to LP gas if the AC power discontinues.
We were told today that with this switch turned off there would be no 12 volt power available to switch the refrigerator over to LP gas if the AC power failed. My question is if the AC power goes off with the Battery Cut-Off switch turned off will the gas be able to switch on automatically?
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #2

FYI - Some refer logic boards require House Battery 12 volt power to operate even on 120 volt AC. Your refer manual should address this issue.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

The reason for the "Battery Cut-off Switch" is for storage and to keep your battery from discharging when not in use. With this switch OFF your Refrigerator cannot work because it requires 12VDC to ignite the Propane Burner. The Refrigerator requires 12VDC to operate even on Propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
We purchased a 2007 Monaco Cayman 10 months ago. My wife has gotten into the habit of turning off the Battery Cut-Off switch every time we leave the coach. (Some call this switch a "salesman switch".) She also leaves the refrigerator set to Auto Mode expecting the refrigerator will switch over to LP gas if the AC power discontinues.
We were told today that with this switch turned off there would be no 12 volt power available to switch the refrigerator over to LP gas if the AC power failed. My question is if the AC power goes off with the Battery Cut-Off switch turned off will the gas be able to switch on automatically?

DelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 'salesman switch' probably controls slightly different things on different years of coaches.

However, on our coach, the 'salesman switch' controls power to the lights only. It does not affect the operation of the fridge or the furnace. I would check your fridge and furnace to find out if they continue to work properly with the 'salesman switch' turned off.

My understanding is that the 'salesman switch' was not designed to be a battery disconnect. It was designed as a convenience item to be able to turn off all the lights with one flick of a switch when leaving the coach, and to be able to turn on all the lights with one flick of the switch when entering the coach.

The solenoid that this 'salesman switch' controls has a history of failure. I leave mine turned on all the time. Someday I plan to bypass the solenoid so that the 'salesman switch' won't function at all. Hopefully I'll do it before the solenoid fails.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
YC1

The switch does Not turn off the power to my refer on a 2008 Endeavor. I highly doubt yours will either. Easy to test. Just switch to gas, let it light. Then turn the salesman switch off. This could be a disaster if the switch was accidently turned off and the refer let the beer get warm.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. It looks like we need to do some trials to see what effect the switch has on the refrigerator on our particular unit. Will let you know.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forget the tests and just bypass the stupid relay that is activated by the switch. If you don't, there will come a day when you will regret not doing it. The battery cutoff relays are prone to failure at a very high rate and they WILL fail at the worst time in the middle of the night when it is pouring rain outside.

Just my suggestion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or just leave the 'salesman switch on' when you have 120V power - and only use to disconnect the batteries when you are going to store the RV for a couple weeks without power.
I think the switch will last longer if you aren't cycling it all the time.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dr4Film has a good point that the relays are prone to failure. You should learn how to bypass it (and make/store a jumper wire near the switch). A jumper should be the same gage wire as the input wire.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
Most modern gas referigerators required 12v for the system to work. To see if yours is that way, switch your refrigerator to gas, make sure it lights up and is running on gas and then turn off your slaesman switch. If the refrigerator is still operating after you turn off the salesman seitch then your question will be answered. It is with powered by another source or it does not require 12v to operate. (unlikely). Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #11

The switch turns everything off in my Bounder...including the propane gas. Turn the switch off...open fridge door....light on...ya got 12v, light off, ya don't. I turn my swith off if not using coach for several days, otherwise, leave it on. Leave it on if hooked to shore power too.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Great replies. We are off on a short trip tomorrow and it will give me a chance to check things out. We don't want to create future problems forr ourselves.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for all the info, I was wondering what the "battery kill switch" was in my 1995 Thor Manor that I just bought. The owner did not have any owner manuals, and he did not explain the switch to me.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #14

The 12V kill switch on our 2011 RED shuts off everything 12V and everything that requires 12V to start and operate, including the A/C units (thermostats).
It has also failed once requireing it to be replaced.