Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
battery disconnect

I have a '99 Pace Arrow 34N.
Inside there are disconnect rocker arm switches, that I am told are used to disconnect the batteries in order to store the unit.
If I leave the 12 volt house batteries in the disconnect position and drive to the new location, Will the house batteries charge????
On a couple of trips I have forgotten to turn them on and when we got to the park we had no power until I out of desperation tried the rocker swithches that turned on the batteries, scared the heck out of me.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

As you found out, there is no power until the switch is in the "Use" position. This is also true for charging the house batteries. If it is in the "store" position, the batteries won't charge. It needs to be in the "use" position when you are using it. The gas part of the Refrigerator won't be able to light with out the 12 volt supply among other things.

Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to do a voltage check to see how your RV is wired. On my Allegro the converter is wired on the battery side of the 12V disconnect switch so it always charges the batteries when the rv is plugged in.
Measuring the battery voltage with the disconnect switch off (12V off) and RV NOT plugged into 120VAC (unplug RV and 12V to off - measure battery voltage). Then plug RV into 120VAC and measure battery voltge again. If voltage goes up it is charging with 12V disconnected via the switch.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I have a '99 Pace Arrow 34N.
Inside there are disconnect rocker arm switches, that I am told are used to disconnect the batteries in order to store the unit.
If I leave the 12 volt house batteries in the disconnect position and drive to the new location, Will the house batteries charge????
On a couple of trips I have forgotten to turn them on and when we got to the park we had no power until I out of desperation tried the rocker swithches that turned on the batteries, scared the heck out of me.
Your coach is designed such that the chassis AND house batteries will both charge from the alternator, when the engine is running, even if the disconnect switch is activated. However, your house batteries will NOT charge from the converter (shore or generator power) unless the disconnect switch is deactivated. As noted by a previous responder, you will not be able to operate any appliances requiring 12v power from the house batteries with the disconnect activated. Check this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15918372/BCC%20Package.pdf diagram and test procedure to see how your coach is wired. Fleetwood has been using this BCC unit since the early '90s.

Tags
battery