Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
IMHO there is a best and safest way to store an RV, especially handling of wet cell batteries. Then there is a 'get me by' approach and of course the wrong way. The first will preserve your batteries for 10 years. The second, which depends, may be 3-5 years and the later maybe a year.
Living in Mi all my life I have dealt with dead batteries more times then I care to count. Over this time I have developed my own approach, which is if stored over a month or so, they go on a trickle charger, which is no job for me. A bit aggressive I know, but just how I do it.

I'm lucky enough to be able to keep my RVs at home and they've stayed plugged in 24/7.

If I had to store in a no power remote location over the winter, the batteries would get pulled, gasoline treated and run through engine and genny. The trip to storage would be long enough to make sure everything reached operating temps, including genny. I would not return until spring or until I needed it.

Needing to run the engine is a fallacy. Cold starting an engine 4-5 times during the winter does more harm than once in the spring. Any engine mfgr, especially diesel, will tell you do not start the engine unless you are going to drive it long enough to get everything up to operating temps and drive an additional 30 mins or so. This expels the condensation out of the exaust system, engine oil, trans fluid, ect.

So, do I want to take the batteries home and go back when I need the coach, or do I want to go the storage yard 4-5 times over the winter, perhaps wading through feet of snow to charge my batteries?

The thing here is there are so many variables between RVers. Storing in AZ is going to be different than ND. I am still strong and mobile, my batteries weigh 66lbs. Some folks batteries weight 160lbs and weigh more than they do

All an OP can do here is wade through all the opinions and make a choice that fits their personal situation or the one that makes more sence to them. Some do well and some don't, but it's never a life changer

AGMs - abosultely don't need them, therefore the additional cost serves me zero purpose. Not so for some folks in their situation.

Amazingly enough none of the new vehicles from tractors to cars to trucks and my MH which I did not buy new but have the the manuals for it. None of these manuals tell me not to start the vehicle unless I canrun it for an hour or two. It might be a fallacy that you do not need to start engines on a regular basis but it makes me feel better to know that all the injectors are having fluid ran through them and the high pressure pumps get fluids run through them rather than worry about them just sitting there. Also seals to my understanding can dry out after a while of not running.

As far as batteries go. My limited experience has been that I only start my diesel tractor every few months during the winter. I have had that tractor for 8 years now and the original battery is still going great. The batteries in my diesel pickup are 7 years old and they are still going strong. I admit the pickup usually does not sit longer than a 2 of months without being run but I make sure to start all of my engines at least every 3 months. Now that think about it the battery in my portable generator is ten years old and still the original battery. Actually one of my new car manuals does address not running the engine in relation to my battery. My Porsche has a warning that the warranty will not replace the battery unless the car has so many miles a year on it. I believe it was 6000 miles a year. Evidently people do the same thing I did and just drive them in nice weather and not driving them on a regular basis is bad for the battery imagine that.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!