Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #1

Battery disconnect correct hookup?

I have a 1994 Pinnacle 305, with a Intellitec BD0 disconnect. I recently replaced the converter 80 amp. In looking for a place to hook the new converter to the batteries. I noticed that the largest wire on the disconnect solenoid was 10 awg. I haven't traced where the #10 wire comes from or goes to, but I don't think that is the correct hookup. Shouldn't it be disconnecting one side of the batteries?

Larry
LGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
How bout a whole lot more info Larry?
Maybe some pictures?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

Jim, I can take a picture if necessary. Perhaps a better description, the 10 awg wire is on the two large lugs on each side of the solenoid that are switched on and off. If the solenoid is suppose to switch the batteries in and out of the circuit then I would expect to see 00 awg cable in place of the 10 awg. The 00 awg cable is what is on the "Booster" solenoid. If the disconnect solenoid is only disconnecting the batteries from the charging circuit (10 awg is too small to carry any meaningful amperage) then maybe it is connected correctly. The 10 awg wire appears to be the only possible source for charging the batteries from the converter. I checked the alternator and battery isolator connections to see if there was any additional wires that might be from the converter and there were none. All the other wires on the solenoid appear correct, and the switch panel seems to function correctly.

Larry
LGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote