RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect Relay ("Salesman Switch")

Ours is a 2007 Coachmen / SportsCoach / Encore model 40 foot DP. It sits on a Freightliner chassis.

Bottom Line: I think I need to replace my Battery Disconnect / "Salesman Switch" relay, but I can't locate it, and I'd appreciate any tips on finding it.

Being an orphan, I'm not having any luck pursuing the traditional support channels; Freightliner points to the coach builder, who's been swallowed by Forest River, who disavow any knowledge of my issue.

The other night the 12V lights started to flicker, and then went dead. All of 'em. And the WiFi, and the TV in the bedroom, and the water pump. Slides out; Awnings extended. Everything 12V was out. (Except, oddly, the electric steps, which I am pretty sure are on a separate feed, isolated from the salesman switch.)

Sure enough, even the light by the salesman switch didn't have its customary green "I'm on" indicator light. All these indications lead to a conclusion that the disconnect relay wasn't holding itself closed, and that's the smart place to start troubleshooting.

Since it was nightfall I decamped to the house and the next morning returned, tools in hand, to identify the relay and start the process of getting a replacement. Here's a laugh: The next morning, the entire 12V system was still dead, but I tapped the salesman switch and everything fired right up as if nothing ever happened.

Well, I've torn that rig apart, from the battery bay, to the inverter bay, to the fuse panels to generally everywhere else in the basement and I cannot, for the life of me, locate that darned relay.

I'd welcome any / all tips on how to locate it. I want to get in there and at least get a spare on board so the next time when the house power is totally out I have a replacement relay in hand to fix the problem.

Any comments welcome; thank you in advance!

simssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

If its working, have someone listen for it clunking, while you switch it on and off.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If its working, have someone listen for it clunking, while you switch it on and off.
Yep -- That was the next hail-Mary I was going to throw... Just trying to get my wife and the rig in the same spot at the same time.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #4

Yep,
As Twinboat suggested, try and make sure your environment is as quiet as possible, i.e. no jackhammering 10 feet from you, and if you have a trusty partner, like the CEO (aka WIFE) of girlfriend, son, dog, anyone, you can have them flip the "salesman switch", otherwise known as the battery disconnect switch, and, you put your hand behind your ear (just like us old guys do to increase hearing) and as they flip the switch, you walk around the coach, listening for the solenoid to open and close.

For some of us Itasca and Winnebago owners, specifically the Horizon and Vectra owners, our house battery disconnect solenoid is in the shore power compartment, hidden behind a removable panel. For the Journey and Meridian clan, theirs is inside a compartment, just above the generator.

As for yours, well, not sure where exactly to point you to other than, as suggested, listen for it when someone is activating it, via the switch.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #5

Salesman switch

Itís in the magnum inverter baysecond bay from the end on the passenger side ,itís mounted on the left side wall behind a cover . I have a 07 sports coach elite and had to change mine several times over the years.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpar View Post
Itís in the magnum inverter baysecond bay from the end on the passenger side ,itís mounted on the left side wall behind a cover . I have a 07 sports coach elite and had to change mine several times over the years.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!

I didn't want to start the process of tearing off every cover on the coach, on the Easter Egg Hunt from Hell!

@captpar, you've saved the day: THANK YOU!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
It took me many head aches to figure out the perfect class a formula... but here it is fellas!

Shore Power &/or Gen Power &/or Alt Power --> Magnum 2,800 watt inverter/smart charger --> BlueSea ML-ACL 12v. Isolater/Battery Manager --> Two Caterpillar 8D 1500CC start batts & 4 BatPlus 27m AGM Deep Cycle Hybrids = charging and security bliss

I cannot see any more problems for me in this lifetime concerning RV Batteries
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpar View Post
YEP, my friend 07 Sportscoach as well. It was a black plastic cover. His looks similar to this.https://www.amazon.ca/INTELLITEC-010...=msncahydra-20
You can bypass it by connecting both big wires to one terminal. If the power comes back on, the relay is shot.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Wait a minute...
The OP said he tapped the salesman switch and things came back on.
I would start my troubleshooting with the switch itself...
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #10

Yup - good catch. Probably the most important piece of info in the original post.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Wait a minute...
Nope -- It was the relay. It was HOT HOT HOT and I suspect that the latching function had dropped out due to the heat. And then, after sitting all night, cooling, it came back on when I tapped the switch in the morning.

I've got the relay bypassed right now, and a new relay is on order. (We're in Mexico right now, and the supply chain is a little longer than ordinary. )

Thanks to all who jumped in to help me find that hidden relay.

OBTW: It was Original Equipment: It had 04/07 scrawled in grease pencil on it; after a dozen years I don't figure it owes me anything.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Wait a minute...

Damn, somebody that actually knows what going on!!!

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, sale, switch