Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Battery drain

Help is needed in finding the cause of my battery drain. I have a 33' Beaver patriot. Cat 330 diesal 2000. I purchased two new batteries 1000 cca. Have 14.2 v when running. Shutdown I go to 12.2 immediately. I took to mechanic what a nightmare, he had coach for almost 4 months and could not find what was causing drain. After 4 months all he did was install a disconnect switch. Coach already had a factory disconnect switch this is an additional. So when operating I have 14.2 V. Shutdown drops to 12.2 instantly. Now I have to use disconnect switches to isolate batteries otherwise batteries would drain below 12.2. Now I come back a week later check voltage. Chassis batteries 5 V. Of course disconnect switches are in off position. Turn on disconnect switches chassis batteries go to 12.2. Ok, run engine. Showing 14.2. Shutdown, voltage drops immediately to 12.2. What is causing this immediate drop in voltage? All it is going to take is for me to forget to shut off disconnect switches when I shut off engine and have dead chassis batteries when I go to start a couple days later. There isn't much running off chassis batteries there main purpose is starting. To have such a big drop in voltage immediately after shutting down has me at a loss?? Please provide any thoughts, recommendations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

I guess your battery is good? I would guess a bad battery!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

What he said. You really need to do two things to understand what is going on. Check the calibration of of your volt meter and add a current probe to measure how much draw you have when shut off.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Battery drain

In ref to my battery drain problem. So many weird things happening and I'm pretty sure they are related in some way. Visited the beav today. Started her up, checked monitor, chassis batteries show 17V normally show 14.2 when running. Thought this was extremely high. Attempted to start generator. When button pushed the needles on instrument Gage's started fluctuating wildly, chk eng chk trans lights came on. Generator would not start. Generator had been working before up to that point. Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas
Old 05-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

Bad battery cable connections.

Alt will overcharge thru bad connection.

Connection will open with high starter draw. Reconnect with light load.

Check and clean both ends of all cables. Try to start and then feel them. Hot one will be bad.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery