RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #43

Thank you everyone. I believe I have enough information to go on. Surprisingly, I turned of the stereo and the batteries were still at 12.4 the next morning with the fridge in auto mode. I still need to unhook the batteries and check for current draw and if there is still some, track down what is taking that. But I am much encouraged that just turning off the stereo would make that much difference!

Thank you all for your insight and willingness to share your experiences!

Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #44

something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post
Thank you everyone. I believe I have enough information to go on. Surprisingly, I turned of the stereo and the batteries were still at 12.4 the next morning with the fridge in auto mode. I still need to unhook the batteries and check for current draw and if there is still some, track down what is taking that. But I am much encouraged that just turning off the stereo would make that much difference!

I'm glad you have made progress! I thought I'd share something I don't see anyone else say. We have a 2018 2812 Newmar Baystar Sport and our batteries were draining as well. We found that the radio was indeed a big part of the problem - so we now pull the 7.5A fuse from the bathroom fuse block. We also found two heat tapes that draw 5-6A each. Our hot water heater is in the slide so the heat tapes. They are thermostatically controlled so when ambient temps get below 40 degrees F they are a consideration.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #45

'BOMB'

Quote:

We had a similar problem a couple years ago (but not as severe as you've had). I did all kinds of tests, including getting a battery load tester. Our batteries (2-6V deep cycle) would hold a charge for almost 2 days. I checked each 12V circuit, pulling each fuse, etc. Nothing. Where was the phantom drain?
Turns out I needed to also

1) turn off the 'Box Of Many Buttons' (BOMB) that controls which TV signal source goes to each TV.
2) use a switchable power strip for each TV, and turn that off.
On our 2004 Mountain Aire, that seems to have done the trick for us. Our 'stereo' is the MH's radio, operating off the chassis battery, not the house batteries.
One final thing to check, depending on how your MH is equipped.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #46

110 from batteries and inverter is really inefficient. When not on 110 shore power run fridge on gas.
2lgdterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgdterrier View Post
110 from batteries and inverter is really inefficient. When not on 110 shore power run fridge on gas.
X2 Exactly my point. Select mode LP on the refer and you're now prepared to dry camp..selecting Auto it will run on AC if the inverter is on.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #48

Ok, here is the update:

Turned off the fridge and stereo...after 6 days house batteries at 12.1 volt.

So, now I will have to track down whatisdraining the batteries. That should not be difficult as there are just two items running! :-)

I was surprised today though...I drive about 300 miles and the house batteries are at 11.2 volts. Inverter is off, fridge running on gas.

The motor alternator apparently does not charge the house batteries.

Is it supposed to?

Thanks all for your desire to help me out with this!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #49

Oh, the fridge light is off when I close the doors. I see it go out right before the door snaps shut.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #50

I should mention that the house batteries charge on shore power and off the generator...
Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #51

I believe it is standard when running the main engine charges all batteries. At least I’m told mine do.
2lgdterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Ok, here is the update:

So, now I will have to track down whatisdraining the batteries. That should not be difficult as there are just two items running! :-)

I was surprised today though...I drive about 300 miles and the house batteries are at 11.2 volts. Inverter is off, fridge running on gas.

Is it supposed to?

Yes, there is a isolation/charging solenoid that is supposed to connect the chassis battery to the house battery, when the engine is running, to charge all batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Ok, here is the update:

Is it supposed to?

Been there done that. In our case it was the B.I.R.D. module that was bad. Or it could be the solenoids switch that connects the two batteries. Both are located (in our 2018 2812 Baystar Sport) under the hood high up and a little to the right looking towards the back of the coach. They are inside a black plastic box with a clear plastic cover.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #54

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lot 3rd View Post
Been there done that. In our case it was the B.I.R.D. module that was bad. Or it could be the solenoids switch that connects the two batteries. Both are located (in our 2018 2812 Baystar Sport) under the hood high up and a little to the right looking towards the back of the coach. They are inside a black plastic box with a clear plastic cover.
I got under the hood and located the different parts. Then noticed a relay looking item on the passenger side firewall with a battery wiring schematic glued right below it. I wiggled the connectors ( my version of kicking the tires) and determined to tackle this when I get home tonight.

Result: the charging system started working. My batteries were all full up showing 14.1 volts with the engine off when I checked after 200 miles and again when I got home.

It may have been as simple as corroded connections. Whatever, itís working great now!

Thanks again for all your ideas! Really helps me understand this coach better.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lot 3rd View Post
I'm glad you have made progress! I thought I'd share something I don't see anyone else say. We have a 2018 2812 Newmar Baystar Sport and our batteries were draining as well. We found that the radio was indeed a big part of the problem - so we now pull the 7.5A fuse from the bathroom fuse block. We also found two heat tapes that draw 5-6A each. Our hot water heater is in the slide so the heat tapes. They are thermostatically controlled so when ambient temps get below 40 degrees F they are a consideration.
Is that 7.5 fuse for the radio? Or the heat tapes?

If not the heat tapes, how did you find them and turn them off?

Thank you!

Tags
battery