RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 12:00 AM   #1

Battery drains in one evening

I have a 2018 Baystar Sport 3307

If I turn the battery switch off, the batteries will stay charged enough for 3 or 4 days.

If I turn everything off except the Norcold double door frig gas/electric, the batteries don’t last a night.

Is there really that much drain with just the frig?

Or do I need to check something else that’s on that I’m not aware of?

Inverter is off, lights, propane hot water heater and all fans are off...furnace is off....nothing is plugged in to charge like phones, etc. The batteries are a year old.

Thank you!

Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #2

If you can provide the configuration and amp hour rating for your battery bank and the amp draw for the refrigerator that would be helpful, but no a refrigerator shouldn't drain your house batteries in one night.
Also, with all of the loads turned off your house batteries should not be draining in 3-4 days, so there is either a significant load that hasn't been turned off or a battery issue.

Are you turning off both the house and coach battery disconnect switches?

What is the battery bank voltage when charged?

Have you checked the water level and specific gravity for each battery cell?

If the batteries check out ok, then if you have access to a multimeter with a DC clamp meter you can use it on the positive cable going from the battery bank to the coach to check the current flow when all of the loads have been turned off to see if you have a significant drain that's drawing more than a very small amount of current even when you think everything is turned off.

Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
If you can provide the configuration and amp hour rating for your battery bank and the amp draw for the refrigerator that would be helpful, but no a refrigerator shouldn't drain your house batteries in one night.
Also, with all of the loads turned off your house batteries should not be draining in 3-4 days, so there is either a significant load that hasn't been turned off or a battery issue.

Are you turning off both the house and coach battery disconnect switches?

What is the battery bank voltage when charged?

Have you checked the water level and specific gravity for each battery cell?

If the batteries check out ok, then if you have access to a multimeter with a DC clamp meter you can use it on the positive cable going from the battery bank to the coach to check the current flow when all of the loads have been turned off to see if you have a significant drain that's drawing more than a very small amount of current even when you think everything is turned off.
Thank you. Iíll grab a multimeter/ dc clamp and check that out. I was not aware that I could check the draw that way.

I have kept water levels up, but donít have a way to check gravity yet.

Battery volts is 13.4 when charged. (Well according to the house meter) 2 group 24 12 volt batteries.

Iím not aware of a coach battery shutoff....Iíll have to look into that!

Thanks again!
Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

Running a gas/electric fridge on 12v will certainly run down your batteries quickly if the propane side of the fridge is not working. Without the gas burner going, you're asking the 12v battery to supply the heat inside the fridge so it can make cold, and it takes a lot of 12v juice to accomplish this.

Either your LP is not turned on or something is wrong with your fridge if it's not switching over to LP. Check your settings, and then check to see if the LP side of the fridge is working.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #5

A quick but not scientific check could be made by disconnecting the battery to chassis ground wire then touching the ground wire to the negative battery terminal. If you see a crisp spark you have a draw somewhere in the electrical system. ( This 'test' should be done with everything in the coach shut off)
If you don't see a spark you should remove the batteries or take the coach to a shop or store which sells batteries and have the batteries load tested individually. This would require disconnecting the jumper wire between the two batteries if you do take the coach somewhere to have the batteries tested. Disconnect the jumper cable after you arrive.
The batteries should be fully charged before having them tested.
A battery hydrometer is not expensive but could tell you if you have a bad cell in one of the batteries.
Are your group 24 batteries standard automotive batteries or marine batteries? Personally I would prefer 6 volt GC batteries wired in series to create 12 volts.
Anytime you are testing batteries, especially in a closed area, you should be wearing safety glasses. Batteries can emit explosive gasses which can be ignited with a spark.
Lynn
Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #6

Are you running the fridge on electric through an inverter or running on gas? If on gas, then there is something else draining the batteries. What happens if you turn the fridge off overnight? If you cut the coach batteries off with the red handle, nothing in the coach should work and the batteries should stay charged for a really long time. This of course assuming there isn’t anything connected directly to the batteries.

You won’t find a chassis battery cutoff switch in a BSS.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #7

If like mine, there’s not enough room in the engine area to hold 2 6v batteries, and not so much anywhere else for that matter.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If like mine, thereís not enough room in the engine area to hold 2 6v batteries, and not so much anywhere else for that matter.
Maybe I'm confused here. Isn't the OP referring to the coach (house) batteries?
Lynn
Old 08-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Maybe I'm confused here. Isn't the OP referring to the coach (house) batteries?
Lynn

That's what it sounds like. And the answer is yes, the fridge can drain the batteries overnight if the fridge is running on 12v and the battery bank isn't large enough.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #10

Most multi meters will also do a 10amp draw test by putting pos. lead to amp. 10A, and bridging into the circuit. Disconnect a batt. lead run through meter. 10A on is not a lot of watts on 12v DC it is 120w. to be exact and it may pop the meters fuse if over that.
If fridge running on propane , the propane detector is running & coil to safety valve is powered.
Is your inverter on.
I can tell you on a camper the fridge with no fans would run on gas for a week on on good fully charged group 31 deep cycle batt. No detectors or main gas safety valve.
2 group24 12v batts should give you 150AH
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Wait, wait, wait! If its propane electric isnt the electric side 110 ac without the inverter on? (OP said inverter off) the only 12v on the fridge would be control board. I would check the battery isolation relay too. If the drain is that big it would sound like the house batteries are trying to maintain levels in haouse and chassis battery and if one has a bad cell I would expect it to drain like that. Best to load test ALL batteries to check for bad cells that could be in them. Maybe I am wrong and the OP has a true 12v fridge and I'm way off
Old 08-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #12

Pull fuses to locate which circuit has the draw.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #13

We need the OP to return and answer a few questions, otherwise we're all just guessing here.

Many LP/electric fridges will operate on 12v so that they can stay cool inside while driving.

The OP says that the inverter is off. My assumption is that if his fridge is still on, then it's running on 12v only without the gas. And that would run down the battery. Of course, it's just an assumption and until the OP gives us more information there's no way to know for certain.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What model is the frig. Is it made to run on gas and 110v electric or does it run on gas or 110v electric and 12v dc. the control system on all of them runs on 12v dc but some have the 12v option.

speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery