Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
By the way...NEVER equalize any AGM/VRLA battery under any circumstances.
You are correct. What is recommended is to use a conditioning charger such as the Battery Minder model 2012AGM on gell-cell or AGM batteries.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #44

I love the very different opinions on this site. That is why everyone needs to do the home work themselves.

I do equalize my Lifeline AGM's as shared on the Lifeline web site and per coversations with them. Was told that the Magnum unit is perfect for equalization when set on the AGM 1 setting.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Magnums AGM 1 setting is a conditioning charge, not an equalization one. Two totally different processes used to achieve the same result and shoud not confused with one another.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #46

You still need to have the Magnum set on AGM 1 when doing the equalization. And they are not the same.

When doing the equalization more volts are used on my Magnum unit. I don't know about others? I have to hold down the charger off/on button for 5 seconds to turn on the equalization that last for four hours. So doing that tells me it is not the same as i watch the voltage rise!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #47

20 plus years in telecom with VRLA batteries...

Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries.

Please do some reading so you understand how they are designed.

In short they have chambers to contain the gasses that are released as the battery chemical reactions occur.

If the amount of gas is excessive then the pressure causes a valve to open releasing gas.

The battery is acid starved so no liquid inside and no way to replace lost materials.

Performing an equalize procedure on a VRLA battery usually voids the warranty.

Part of the claim usually includes power plant settings which include eq settings and if set above float conditions no warranty.

The lifelines may allow something that resembles equalization but one should be certian they are doing EXACTY as directed by the factory procedure as there is no going back if damage is done.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #48

As I mention a few posts ago, I talked directly with Lifeline and was told to do it. Lifeline also said that 8-10 years ago they didn't recommend it, but now they do!

Maybe AM solar is wrong too? They programmed my solar to do a equalization also.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #49

As long as the charger and process matches what the manufacturer data sheet specifies you should be fine.

But not all chargers equalize the same and given you cannot measure the seperate cells in the sealed battery it is difficult to determine need or effectiveness of the process.

For VRLA batteries the maintenance is different by manufacturer and application with no general accepted standard.

Different companies adopt different approaches to it.

One procedure is benchmarking and trending where the batteries when new and ASSUMED good have timed to voltage discharge testing under controlled conditions and repeated later to determine the degradation of the batteries.

Never have seen any suggestion of EQ as the warranty issue and inability to confirm need or confirm result.

Lifeline and others may have developed a timetable for EQ as a general maintenance procedure where very well controlled voltage and current limitations are used to maintain the plates without causing off-gassing.

Bottom line is to verify the need and process per the battery manufacturer datasheet for the specific battery as that is the only thing that matters, then verify the charging equipment and operator are capable of doing the process exactly as directed.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the Lifeline Battery technical manual on pg 20 it explains the conditioning charge and says an equalizing charge can be used for the conditioning charge following their guide lines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf manual.pdf (1.75 MB, 18 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #51

That is a good read and the manual is easy to locate on their page.

It does state EQ is okay BUT ONLY ON A WEAK BATTERY...

It states part of the maintenance includes determining the actual installed capacity by measuring the time to LVD (low voltage disconnect) and performing EQ only if below 80% of capacity and with controlled voltage and time.

The manual should be posted by a moderator on a sticky someplace with permission from lifeline as it has a lot of good information that many folks need often.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
As I mention a few posts ago, I talked directly with Lifeline and was told to do it. Lifeline also said that 8-10 years ago they didn't recommend it, but now they do!

Maybe AM solar is wrong too? They programmed my solar to do a equalization also.
Charging technology has geratly advanced as AGMs are becomming more popular and the need to desulfate/destratify/ condition, (which ever one wants to call it) is necessary.
AM Solar set you up correctly. Not all chargers are created equal and are not compatible with AGM batteries, so special consideration/equipment has to be employed for proper maintenance.
PWM, (pulse wave modulation) type charging is used for AGMs to avoid over charging, which can cause thermal runaway.
PWM uses varying pulses of power as the batteries are charged to avoid that situation.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #53

Just a litttle more info for you all when it comes to LIFELINE batteries. When in conversation with Lifeline. They asked if I had a BMK with my Magnum set up? I answered yes.

Then I was told that if the basic EQ didn't help to set my Magnum to Led type batteries for the EQ mode. This will put more voltage than the AGM 1 setting to help desulfate even more.

With the BMK, it will not let the batteries get to hot.

Chboone, thanks for sharing too. I have posted that same information on the forum a few times too.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Just a litttle more info for you all when it comes to LIFELINE batteries. When in conversation with Lifeline. They asked if I had a BMK with my Magnum set up? I answered yes.
Then I was told that if the basic EQ didn't help to set my Magnum to Led type batteries for the EQ mode. This will put more voltage than the AGM 1 setting to help desulfate even more.
With the BMK, it will not let the batteries get to hot.
Chboone, thanks for sharing too. I have posted that same information on the forum a few times too.
hes4all
BMK??, EQ??, Led ??
Please don't take this personally, but I find when "unfamiliar acronyms"are used... rather thanW/CWs, (aka:"Whole/Complete Words") , it is often difficult for me to understand what the author/poster is talking about.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #55

Mel, me too .
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
hes4all
BMK??, EQ??, Led ??
Please don't take this personally, but I find when "unfamiliar acronyms"are used... rather thanW/CWs, (aka:"Whole/Complete Words") , it is often difficult for me to understand what the author/poster is talking about.
Mel
'96 Safari
EQ= equalization
BMK= Battery monitor kit (that is what Magnum calls it anyways)
LED= my bad on that, I meant lead battery.

I am sure there is a list of acronyms somewhere on this site IMHO!

Most likely it doesn't has these on it?

Tags
battery