Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

battery filler

Since filling batteries is a monthy to-do for the mh, what is your favorite method....peeknpour, auto filler can, bulb, totally automatic, etc. Anyone find a auto filler can better than another....Plews beter than another?

My mh does not have a pullout tray so battery check and fill not a quick maintenance chore. To disconnect and remove each battery works about as well as trying to peeknpour using flashlight to check level. Unfortunately chassis batteries are above a couple of the four house batteries so that is a espesially small working area.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to use one of the old style plastic bottles with the push down snout. When I replaced my batteries, I installed the automatic watering system with the squeeze bulb. I wouldn't own a coach without it now. My batteries require less water (I only check them every three months) and are so easy to check. I just connect the bulb, insert the end in a bottle of distilled water and squeeze a couple of times....all done.

After adjusting my charger and adding the watering system, my batteyr bay is now acid free and bone dry.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your batteries require filling every month they could be getting overcharged and boiling off the water.
I have not tried this yet, but there are recommendations on this web site about adding an ounce or two in each cell of the batteries to stop this problem and mak them almost maintanance free.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Chuck was typing fast and forgot to add the words "mineral oil". I used mineral oil on mine initially because of acid issues. I later found I was overcharging the batteries and adjusted the charge. Unfortunately, very few chargers are adjustable.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I think Chuck was typing fast and forgot to add the words "mineral oil". I used mineral oil on mine initially because of acid issues. I later found I was overcharging the batteries and adjusted the charge. Unfortunately, very few chargers are adjustable.

Thank you Don for cleaning up my errors. It looks like we were both on the same page. I just took a short cut.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting, have or has anyone on this post used "mineral oil" as an additive? What is the advantage? What are any implications as to problems with mineral oil? Just very curious.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

To the OP, I agree with Chuck. I think you have a charger problem. You should not need to add water that frequently. I haven't added water to mine since right after I bought them in February. What is your charger make and model?
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put two ounces of mineral oil in each cell of my 4 six volt batteries over two years ago and have not added one drop of water since. We are plugged in most of the time. The corrosion factor in the compartment is non existant.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Clayobx......There was a company many years ago that sold their batteries with mineral oil in them. Old timers said these batteries use to last ten years.

This company Thermoil.com - Up to 3 times Longer Battery Life! Guaranteed. still sells battery additives primarilly to companies using large batteries. I bought their Thermoil (blue colored oil, probably mineral oil) and added it to my batteries to solve an acid issue. I also added the battery caps that cause the acid to recycle back into the battery. These two items resolved about 80% of my battery issues. It wasn't until I checked with Magnum, the maker of my charger and found out I had it set up wrong. I set the charge as they suggested and added the battery fill system. My battery bay is now dusty dry.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I installed the automatic watering system with the squeeze bulb. I wouldn't own a coach without it now. My batteries require less water (I only check them every three months) and are so easy to check. I just connect the bulb, insert the end in a bottle of distilled water and squeeze a couple of times....all done.
We also installed the ProFill system, now the only "problem" is washing the dust off every 6-8 months
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #11

Thanks all, for the replies. I have the Freedom 458 Xantrex inverter/charger unit and perhaps it is set to high. The first time I checked my batteries (4-2200s)it had been several months after purchase. I read somewhere, probably on irv2, that they should be checked every 30 days when constantly on shore line so that got me on right track. Anyway, when I checked them they definetely needed water. After that I tried to check about every 30 days finding that occasionally they needed a little water. Of recent I have been turning off charger but the proper charge falls to yellow in a few days. Much of my problem could also be the age of the batteries, coupled with lack of water maintenance in past. I suspect the batteries are original batteries put on coach (2006 model probably means actually 2005 batteries, the date tags are not removed). I will look into checking the setting on charger, adding the mineral oil, and look into the automatic watering system.
Bill
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #12

4 oz per cell for 6 volt; 2 oz per cell for 12 volt. I put the oil in last spring and haven't needed to add water through the 115°+ record breaking Phx heat. I have all of mine on an 8 amp BatteryMinder.

BatteryMINDer 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp Wet/Gel/AGM Battery Charger: BatteryMart.com

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
4 oz per cell for 6 volt; 2 oz per cell for 12 volt. I put the oil in last spring and haven't needed to add water through the 115°+ record breaking Phx heat. I have all of mine on an 8 amp BatteryMinder.

BatteryMINDer 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp Wet/Gel/AGM Battery Charger: BatteryMart.com

D, 4 oz per cell seems like a lot to add to cell unless the cell is very low. Did you remove some fluid in order to get the 4 oz in?

Do you set the BatMinder to on battery of series and just let it do its thing? Isn't it a charge only when needed device?

The auto fill device with bulb sounds like neat device also. What is the brand name?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a plant watering can with a long, thin spout. My 6V batteries require water a LOT less often than the old 12V batteries. Never heard about mineral oil before, I'll have to try that.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery