Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Battery Help

I live in Oregon so my motorhome is winterized and sits unused from about October to April. We recently were awarded with 10 inches of snow and very cold night time temps, -16 two nights ago and -2 last night. I went out today to start the Coach and as you would figure dead batteries. My question is this, what is a good way to protect my batteries during the cold winter and lack of use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Where is the coach stored? At your home?

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126

Old 01-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My chassis battery was dead after setting for a few weeks.

I am going to put trickle charger on it to keep it charged.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:36 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A "Battery Tender" is great for whenever parked.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good way #1: If you have a 3-stage converter, PLUG IN

Good way #2, if you do not want to plug in the entire motor home or if you feel that Method 1 might draw more power than you need to draw.

Battery Tender (TM) or Battery Minder (TM) devices, many out there, for a motor home get a large one.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #6

If you have no power or solar, the best thing is to un-hook the battery cable.
A word of caution, dead batteries freeze and the ice can destroy the plates inside.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4x4 View Post
I live in Oregon so my motorhome is winterized and sits unused from about October to April. We recently were awarded with 10 inches of snow and very cold night time temps, -16 two nights ago and -2 last night. I went out today to start the Coach and as you would figure dead batteries. My question is this, what is a good way to protect my batteries during the cold winter and lack of use?
Assuming it is outside at your house by your post, I would take the batteries out of it, put them inside, where it is cool and dry and in a place that you can slow charge them back up..........Look and inspect them to make sure they are not frozen before charging them.....leave them out of your Coach.....till needed, unless you can plug it in to maintain the batteries?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Ours is parked next to the house. We keep it plugged in all winter and just check the water level in the batteries every few weeks.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would guess that you are on the east side rather that the wet side like I am.

Why not one of these? I would go with the 15 watt one.
Amazon.com : BatteryMINDer Solar Charging System - 12 Volt, 15 Watt Panel, Model# SCC-015 : Battery Minder : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com : BatteryMINDer 12 Volt Solar Charging System with 5 Watt Panel and Desulfator, Model# SCC005 : Solar Panels : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I second the fact since you not using it why not take out the batteries and store them inside. That is what boaters do for the winter.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #11

Battery Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I second the fact since you not using it why not take out the batteries and store them inside. That is what boaters do for the winter.

I own 2 sailboats that stay in the water through freezing temps and a power boat that sits on a trailer through freezing temps. No batteries come out if boats for the winter.... Simply ensure they have a smart charger (ie battery tender) hooked up and you'll be fine.
I also line in Oregon and give my Rv the same treatment during the winter.

Is it arguably "best" to remove batteries and store indoors.... Perhaps. Necessary..... Probably not.

Even better yet, fire up the RV and use it in the winter.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
I own 2 sailboats that stay in the water through freezing temps and a power boat that sits on a trailer through freezing temps. No batteries come out if boats for the winter.... Simply ensure they have a smart charger (ie battery tender) hooked up and you'll be fine.
I also line in Oregon and give my Rv the same treatment during the winter.

Is it arguably "best" to remove batteries and store indoors.... Perhaps. Necessary..... Probably not.

Even better yet, fire up the RV and use it in the winter.

Good luck!
Different places for different people. At our Boat club and many marinas there is not any power available for storage of boats. We have 50 boats out of the water on stands and to have that many extension cord would be insane plus dangerous if a fire. Our RULES are fuel tanks must be full and batteries removed or disconnected. Club has a large 53 foot trailer setup for storage and floating the batteries.

Here in NJ we really cant keep boats in the water on the river. to much ICE thickness or ice flows. sail boats can stay in the water because they just pop up out of the ice.

I would agree that one could leave everything in place. When I lived in Northern NY state we had minus 26 degree weather and the jeep always started. had engine blankets and heaters under the engine. all the batteries in the boats froze.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Different places for different people. At our Boat club and many marinas there is not any power available for storage of boats. We have 50 boats out of the water on stands and to have that many extension cord would be insane plus dangerous if a fire. Our RULES are fuel tanks must be full and batteries removed or disconnected. Club has a large 53 foot trailer setup for storage and floating the batteries.

Here in NJ we really cant keep boats in the water on the river. to much ICE thickness or ice flows. sail boats can stay in the water because they just pop up out of the ice.

I would agree that one could leave everything in place. When I lived in Northern NY state we had minus 26 degree weather and the jeep always started. had engine blankets and heaters under the engine. all the batteries in the boats froze.

Indeed! My boats aren't left in any waters that will actually freeze over. If I didn't have access to shore power, I would likely pull batteries.... At very least disconnect.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

Sorry I forgot to mention it is here at the house and plugged in to shore power.

Tags
battery