Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #15

I have no idea why you guys want to change a tire/wheel assembly on your motorhome but instead of a torque multiplier (which I have used many times) Google "Ken Tool TR44SW" and this is way easier than jumping on a piece of pipe that doesn't want to stay where you want it.
The other thing you can do is plumb in a 1/2 quick coupler, get 50 ft of 1/2" hose and run a good quality impact while you have full air pressure on your rv. These guns go through the air volume quick, so take your time.
Now you got it off, you mount the spare, run on the nuts and then torque them up to 465 ft lbs. Drive a couple of hours and don't forget to check the nuts again.
Sounds like what I tried to stay away from for 40 plus years but some guys just want to play tireman-not me.
Oh yeah, an old tireman told me once "that you learn all the tricks when you are young, so you don't get hurt when you're old".
PS if you want to buy any of this equipment, I still own it and leave everything but the torque wrench at home-lol.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #16

I bought a Milwaukee 1/2 drive 450 lbs of torque battery powered gun that is awesome. Paid $425.00 cane with a quick charger, two heavy duty batteries and a case.

This is the one.
M18 Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2" High-Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit | Milwaukee Tool

Carry it in my coach when traveling. Others have used it more than me!

Here is the new one, read the specs.
http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-5487-...16460000007595

Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
That Milwaukee is expensive but has really impressive specs for a 1/2" drive. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
I have no idea why you guys want to change a tire/wheel assembly on your motorhome but instead of a torque multiplier (which I have used many times) Google "Ken Tool TR44SW" and this is way easier than jumping on a piece of pipe that doesn't want to stay where you want
The OP stated "I have been stranded waiting for road service before only to have them show up without the proper tools", so it's provably not so much that he wants to make the repair himself, but to be prepared once road service gets there and then find out the repair guy doesn't have the proper tools to do the job. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #19

I have found a four foot cheater bar is sufficient for my 22.5, 500 ft/lb wheels.

Ed
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #20

Point well taken-I should have read the original post twice.
But if the company shows up and doesn't have the right tools, do I want him fixing my tire?
I don't know what you guys did for a living but as a mechanic if you don't have the tools-you don't have the knowledge.
Oh yeah, it may not be rocket science on how to fix a tire but remember it is the cushion between ride and wreck.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #21

If any of you see me broke down by the side of the road please stop cause I need to borrow some tools.....
Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Brokedown

I had two blowouts on my previous Monaco on the same 100deg day along W Kansas I70 and I spent a long time trying to explain to my insurance dispatched road service I had a big motorhome. The guy from Bubbas garage shows up in his pickup truck and says he was told it was pickup camper or Classs C. He had a four ton race jack and asks to use my leveling jacks. Then he asks where my compressor hookup is. I showed him and his air hoses had different connections than mine which led to a plumbing adventure. At the last he pulls out this wimpy air wrench and tells me he doesn't have a big enough socket. I had my old cheater and a 33mm socket and got it done. Meanwhile I'm getting blasted by every semi and it 's sweltering and I finished 20 mins before a giant thunderstorm hit.

I know that doesn't happen all the time, but it did happen.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Dewalt 18 volt 1/2 inch drive - don't even consider it for your RV. It's a great tool but the torque is nothing like what you need. It will do a decent job on a small trailer tire especially loosening up rusty bolts after you add some penetrating oil. The impact vibration is what helps - the torque - not so much.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I think the ratings on many rattle guns are a bit overstated. I have a 1/2" IR that is rated at 600 ft-lbs and it wouldn't loosen 1/2" nuts on some shocks. They don't say at what air pressure they are rated at. I suspect way more than the 80-100 psi I have at the beginning of my 50' 3/8" hose. And a whole lot more than I have at the end of that hose.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #25

I like the torque multiplier for $19 less. Besides, you should have towing on your insurance for when things get that hard. I'm a mechanic and drove big trucks and torque mults are great but you have to handle them carefully as they will shear of lug bolts. I drove my Peteerbilt 431,000 miles and pulled my trailer 400,000 mi and had 1 flat on a Michelin tire. Not worth the wrench price to carry it around IMHO.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #26

[QUOTE=Passin Thru;2001793
You should have towing on your insurance for when things get that hard.
Not worth the wrench price to carry it around IMHO.
[/QUOTE]

Passin Thru
!
I've always carried a CoachNet card and an unmounted spare for tire emergencies.
BTW that seems to prevent tire problems since I've had none....so far!
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #27

Here you go: Amazon.com: NitroCat 1200-K 1/2-Inch Kevlar Composite Air Impact Wrench With Twin Clutch Mechanism: Home Improvement It is a Nitro cat 1/2"air wrench, and with a 3/4" adapter and a 3/4 x 1-1/2" socket, with your 120 psi chasis air, It will take off the lugs after they have been torqued properly to 450 lbs. But, you have to get those lugs off and retorqued properly which shops do not do. They just hammer them on with a 1" air wrench to unknown torque. I couldn't break mine with a 3/4" breaker bar with 4' piece of pipe. Had to buy a 1" air wrench and run a atraight 1" line at 120 psi to break loose the lugs. I picked up a new- never used 600 ftlb torque wrench for $60 on Ebay for torquing the lugs.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
I don't know what you guys did for a living but as a mechanic if you don't have the tools-you don't have the knowledge.

Amen! I'm not a mechanic, but I do go to the same church!

Randy W.

Tags
battery