Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

Battery Isolator very hot.

I have had the problem of just every once in a while my batteries would completely discharge. It will sit for a week with a full charge and then suddenly all of the batteries are 1-2 volts. I do disconnect the engine batteries so they are fine. I took it to an rv place and after a week and $315 they told me it was my battery isolator, guaranteed. But they were closing their service dept for two weeks and couldn't fix it in time. So I ordered a a surepower battery Isolator like the original, but 200amp instead of 140amp. I installed it exactly the way the old one was wire for wire and verified it with the instructions that came with it. I started the engine and checked and i was getting 14+ volts from the alternator. But i noticed the isolator getting really hot. I used one of those point and shoot laser thermometers and it was quickly rising. It hit 199 degrees before I shut it all down. What could it be? Also on the batt terminals on the isolator there is one wire each going to a 'Heart interference echo charge'. Looking at the echo chargers on line they should be connected straight to the batteries. Can anyone help me? Can anyone tell me if there is a wiring diagram for a 2000 Safari Serengeti?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Echo charger can be connected to either the battery or to the isolator relay, whichever end of the cable is easier to get to.

What is the echo charger?

On some motor homes (Mine for example) not only does the engine charge the house batteries (Nearly all Motor homes do this) but when I'm on shore power, or generator power, the house charges the engine battery, IT is called a Bi-Directional Isolator (BIRD Bidirectional Isolator Relay Device (or Delay))

However not all have that. ON many only the engine activates the isolator so if you park for say 5 months. Engine will not start as batteries have died... The ECHO charger, provides the reverse path

It monitors house battery voltage and if it's high enough (indicating CHARGING (or at least float) It connects the chassis up so it charges too.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #3

Check this website for the wiring diagram/schematic you need: Safari and Beaver
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

Or buy a better battery isolator. Can't speak highly enough about POWER-GATE battery isolators. Installed it on my Monaco years ago and it just plain works.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #5

Probably everything was okay......just your batteries were very low, and lots of amps were flowing from the alternator......usually the vehicle is moving, and lots of airflow over the heat sink.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

You could try this one.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410373507.899156.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	73527
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Echo charger can be connected to either the battery or to the isolator relay, whichever end of the cable is easier to get to.

What is the echo charger?
An Echo Charger is an overpriced device that allows for the house batteries to be charged while the engine is running and allows the chassis battery to be charged while hooked to shore power or on generator power.

The Trik-L-Start and the bigger brother Amp-L-Start will do the same thing.

Any of these devices can be connected directly to each bank of batteries or to each side of the Battery Isolator Relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You could try this one.....

Attachment 73527
That manual isolator would work providing that you are willing to give up the Aux Start capability of most Battery Isolator Relay's. That feature is activated by an Aux Start momentary switch on your dash.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkc10boom View Post

I have had the problem of just every once in a while my batteries would completely discharge. It will sit for a week with a full charge and then suddenly all of the batteries are 1-2 volts. I do disconnect the engine batteries so they are fine. I took it to an rv place and after a week and $315 they told me it was my battery isolator, guaranteed. But they were closing their service dept for two weeks and couldn't fix it in time. So I ordered a a surepower battery Isolator like the original, but 200amp instead of 140amp. I installed it exactly the way the old one was wire for wire and verified it with the instructions that came with it. I started the engine and checked and i was getting 14+ volts from the alternator. But i noticed the isolator getting really hot. I used one of those point and shoot laser thermometers and it was quickly rising. It hit 199 degrees before I shut it all down. What could it be? Also on the batt terminals on the isolator there is one wire each going to a 'Heart interference echo charge'. Looking at the echo chargers on line they should be connected straight to the batteries. Can anyone help me? Can anyone tell me if there is a wiring diagram for a 2000 Safari Serengeti?
Get your batteries fully charged first by using a portable charger. Then check out the temperature of your Battery Isolator Relay.

It will be warm but it should not get hot enough to start a fire.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

unfortunately all of this is under the bed not in a compartment with airflow.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
unfortunately all of this is under the bed not in a compartment with airflow.

....add a small 12v computer type fan to blow air over the heat sink. Fan only needs to run I'm guessing, is when engine alternator is charging ( not needed when engine not running)

Or go with a different type of isolator like I suggested in post #6 above
Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #11

One thing I don't understand in the echo charger. It has 3 wires, house, chassis, and ground. It is wired straight to the Isolator. House to house, chassis to chassis, and ground is grounded. How is it working with the Isolator to charge the batteries??
Old 09-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

One thing I don't understand in the echo charger. It has 3 wires, house, chassis, and ground. It is wired straight to the Isolator. House to house, chassis to chassis, and ground is grounded. How is it working with the Isolator to charge the batteries??
It appears that you don't have a owner's manual for the Echo Charger.

Find it here.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #13

Normally that would be what I would do, but getting that hot makes me think something is wrong. I have had the problem of the batteries discharging down to 1-2 volts since I bought it. I would charge the batteries individually with a charger until they were all close to 6v and then connect them all and apply power and let the inverter/charger do the rest. Or start the engine and let is charge the batteries. The old inverter looks like it has gotten very hot in the past, even the where the cables end at the terminals they look like they have gotten to hot, but not since I have had it. And it was in storage for 2 years before I bought it.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #14

I have downloaded this manual already because it is the only thing that comes up on a search. I have the 'Heart interference echo-charge. It is mounted flat on the floor under the bed and only has one indicator and that is a red led for overheat shutdown. This manual says to mount the xantrex echo charger vertically and attach to the batteries. This is attached to the isolator.

Tags
battery