Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Battery jumper box for toad brake

What are the pro's and con's of using a jumper box battery as a power source for a supplemental brake system, to solve the toad's battery from dying?

2004 Newmar Dutch Star Model 4010
Spartan MM Chassis, Cummins 370 ISL
BO Adventa, Apollo Brake System, EEZ TPMS
Golden Gopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
If you're talking about a separate battery just for the brake in a box, it sounds like a lot of work and weight. How would you keep this battery from running down? I (and most) just run a charge line from the motorhome to keep the toad battery charged.

2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7, Cat C7 and Allison 6 spd
Honda VTX and Crusier Lift on the back
Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy, 2014 Chevy Equinox toad
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
If you're talking about a separate battery just for the brake in a box, it sounds like a lot of work and weight. How would you keep this battery from running down? I (and most) just run a charge line from the motorhome to keep the toad battery charged.
Nothing like doing it right the first time.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CarlAda
+1 on a charge line ... much cheaper and far superior solution to your issue.
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 DaVinci being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
I use a JNC4000 for my braking system (RVI Brake2). It works fine for me and I don't have to worry about another wire from the MH. I just plug it in to a 120vac outlet and charge it every couple of trips.
Allegro 30DA, Jeep Wrangler
Victory CCT
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
I agree with dennis4809 just run an extra charge wire. If you use a 7 prong plug there is a spot for one, simple and easy. I bought a device from Brake Buddy that you hook up to your battery, it has a fuse and a diode in it so you dont back feed to the coach. I am sorry I dont have the number for it handy right now, lost info. If you googled it you find it.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
A friend used one of those jump starter in his Honda toad for years. He just charged it every night. He said it worked well.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both my friend and I have using this system for over 50K miles. Just charge it when you get to somewhere with electricity for the night. KISS system. I've used it for other things too as long as I have it with me.
Revolution LE 38X C9 Cat
2011 Scion TC toad
1985 KLR 600 as a backup...
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
My toad battery must be disconnected when towing. My JNC660 works fine; recharge about every three days. As I understand it, not all jump boxes use a sealed battery and some may have to remain upright.

2014 Tiffin 36LA, 2013 Ford Focus HB.
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
The brake buddy in my toad works off of the toads electrical system ie power outlet on dash. The battery in the toad is charged up from the towing vehicle charging system as I am driving down the road. The power wire does not go into or through the toads charging system. It goes straight to the battery through a diode so it does not back feed to drain the battery. A staring battery should not be deep cycled that is drained down to much as it will shorten the battery life. Seems to me charging the toads battery as you are going down the road is the easy way to go.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
By far the simplest and easiest solution is to just run a wire from pin 4 (the black wire) on your 7-pin trailer connector to the positive terminal on the toad battery. This is the "charging wire" referred to in the posts above. Works like a charm. Been doing this for years and have never had a problem with it or had a toad battery go dead.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a "jump box" with my "brake in a box" for 3 or 4 years and finally installed a charge line. The jump box worked just fine while I used it.

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, brake, toad