Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #1

Battery Maintenance

I have a 04 Itasca Suncruiser that has 2 batteries for the coach hooked up in parallel, and one separate battery for the chassis. I also have a factory installed solar charger on the roof that trickle charges the coach batteries throughout the season(s). My question is, can I place jumper cables crossing the chassis battery with the coach batteries during the winter months in order to keep the chassis battery charged without hurting the system? I do have a battery disconnect switch as well. Would that be left in the on position as well?

Thanks for all responses!
Dmk960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would go this route:

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

Anytime house batteries are being charged/maintained, so is the chassis battery. Install and forget and works great!

It will not pull down the house batteries if they aren't charging. If you ran a direct wire, the chassis batt would continuously pull off the house batt.

In storage, I would alway use the diconnect switch. Even then you can still have a draw from the CO2 and propane detectors, depending on how your coach is wired.

As long as your solar has enough watts and sun to maintain 3 batts, I see no problem.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #3

Yes you could do the jumper cable thing, however if one battery has a problem as you now have a 3 battery system, it could create a problem with all of them. Battery disconnect switch off, that way you are not feeding any house systems.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

I don't know how your coach is wired and your question about weather to use the disconnect switch or not is a good one. If it was me, I would use the disconnect switch and then check to see if any current is flowing into the batteries from the solar cell. More importantly, is there any current flowing out of the batteries from some unknown location. Are you sure the solar charger doesn't already charge both sets of batteries? I don't see any reason you couldn't jump across all of the batteries if you find out your unit only charges the coach batteries. If your solar charger is like mine was, it is so minimal it only puts out 0.8 amps peak. That is if everything is perfect. Clean glass, direct sun, no snow, etc. Don’t expect a lot out of it.

Interesting question, and I would love to see the end results of your decision.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave44
On my MH when the disconnect switch is off the CO and gas detectors still draw from the batteries. My unit is parked in my driveway so I plug it in year-round, just keep an eye on battery water.
Dave
Dave44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
I would go this route:

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

Anytime house batteries are being charged/maintained, so is the chassis battery. Install and forget and works great!

It will not pull down the house batteries if they aren't charging. If you ran a direct wire, the chassis batt would continuously pull off the house batt.

In storage, I would alway use the diconnect switch. Even then you can still have a draw from the CO2 and propane detectors, depending on how your coach is wired.

As long as your solar has enough watts and sun to maintain 3 batts, I see no problem.

I ordered, hopefully this works! Seems simple enough! Thanks!
Dmk960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance