Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

Thanks for the information about batteries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
A while back I took a course on batterys with a leading manufacture and I have followed the advice I was given for more than 30 years.I can honestly say have have been very happy with the results I have had. Living on a large acreage I have everything from soup to nuts when it comes to batterys.
I see a lot of people set up trickle chargers with battery monitors on their rigs when not in service.
I want to pass on what I have learned from that course.

1 Disconnect batterys and clean.
2 Charge batterys at a slow rate to fully charge.
3 Store batterys in a cool place. (In warm climates put in the bottom of the deep freeze). This keeps the chemicals in a neutral state. If fully charged the battery will NOT FREEZE.
If in a cold climate Ie Northern parts, Canada northern United States just leave them in the unit. But clean and disconnected.

Above all and stressed very much. Do not store batterys in a warm area.Do not use trickle chargers as this keeps the batterys reacting internally,which shortens the life.
This info is for wet cell batterys. The dry cell batterys were not discussed so I would not recommend the same storage practice as I have no experience with them.
The biggest destroyers of batterys is heat.

This I am sure is going to create a lot of interest, but normal life for my batterys seems to average about 10years. I don't buy the most exspensive ones.
Very confusing. Everything I have read about battery life over the last few years says that a combination of a smart charger and proper water level is the way to maximize battery life. Supposed to prevent sulfation of the plates? I'm curious to know why a smart charger (3 stage charger) is killing my batteries. Any explanation?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #17

The DW would flip out about time she opened the freezer and saw the whole bottom shelf filled with a big a$$ engine battery the second and third shelfs bending under the weight of two of the house batteries, not to mention the grease and grim that goes with them. Lol
I've used trickle chargers but only plug them in after sitting for about two months. When fully charged I unplug for another 60 days.
On my motorcycle I never winterized it. Just waited for a day over freezing and started the bike let it run for 20 min about once a month. Never had a dead battery and those little motorcycle batteries are notorious for being dead in the spring in Michigan.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #18

Is "Float" the same as trickle charge?
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Is "Float" the same as trickle charge?
I believe so. Trickle chargers are very low voltage but typically stop charging when battery is full. Which is what float refers to which is floating from charge to idle keeping the battery fully charged
Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry if I offended anybody,this was not what I wanted to do. And lets face it. If we are having good luck with batteries why change. The info I gave came right from the notes I took.
I agree that big batteries are a pain and nobody would be taking them out to put in the deep freeze. I'm surprised people would think the thread was directed at these types of batteries.
This forum covers a lot of areas when it comes to people and the various types of units they drive.
In future I will be more careful at how I address my posts.

The comment about chargers is so correct they have come a long way.It has been years since I have heard of a battery boiling over, smart chargers are the way to go unless you use them for removing rust.(that is another story.)
My post was more geared to the people who get a few weeks vacation a year and are raising a family and the units sit.
I have been there and know what it is like to not have time to think about batteries in my units

My comments about too much money were out of line. I take them back.

The whole idea is keep a Battery as cool as you can while in storage.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #21

I wasn't offended nor did I mean to be with my reply. I actually do remove my batteries and no they are not light but I do it.
If what you said is still true today though makes me wonder how good solar panels are as they work just like a trickle charger.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I will just keep doing what I do with my batteries... So far, so good....
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Sorry if I offended anybody,this was not what I wanted to do. And lets face it. If we are having good luck with batteries why change. The info I gave came right from the notes I took.
I agree that big batteries are a pain and nobody would be taking them out to put in the deep freeze. I'm surprised people would think the thread was directed at these types of batteries.
This forum covers a lot of areas when it comes to people and the various types of units they drive.
In future I will be more careful at how I address my posts.

The comment about chargers is so correct they have come a long way.It has been years since I have heard of a battery boiling over, smart chargers are the way to go unless you use them for removing rust.(that is another story.)
My post was more geared to the people who get a few weeks vacation a year and are raising a family and the units sit.
I have been there and know what it is like to not have time to think about batteries in my units

My comments about too much money were out of line. I take them back.

The whole idea is keep a Battery as cool as you can while in storage.
Thanks for taking the time to post what you learned in the class! I fully understand that you were not trying to direct anyone to do anything, just passing along the information. Currently I am attending the FMCA Rally in Gillette, WY and I attended a class given by Interstate Batteries and they provided some of the same information you shared in your original post...long term storage, fully charged and keep them a cold as possible, 32 degrees F will slow or stop the chemical reaction prolonging battery life.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Thanks for taking the time to post what you learned in the class! I fully understand that you were not trying to direct anyone to do anything, just passing along the information. Currently I am attending the FMCA Rally in Gillette, WY and I attended a class given by Interstate Batteries and they provided some of the same information you shared in your original post...long term storage, fully charged and keep them a cold as possible, 32 degrees F will slow or stop the chemical reaction prolonging battery life.
Thanks for passing along and confirming some of the information. Did they address connecting multistage chargers for long term storage? I'd really like to know if it is damaging the batteries.

We are a younger family and only use our motorhome for about 30 days a year. Batteries are expensive and I want to make sure we take care of them but it's not practical to take 8 batteries out and store them for 6-7 months a year. It also is hard to exercise the generator without batteries to start it.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #25

What you say about keeping cool is true. We learned about prolonged heat and its effect on batteries. Our car waiting, under a cover, in Caribbean Mexico needs a new battery every fall.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
A while back I took a course on batterys with a leading manufacture and I have followed the advice I was given for more than 30 years.I can honestly say have have been very happy with the results I have had. Living on a large acreage I have everything from soup to nuts when it comes to batterys.
I see a lot of people set up trickle chargers with battery monitors on their rigs when not in service.
I want to pass on what I have learned from that course.

1 Disconnect batterys and clean.
2 Charge batterys at a slow rate to fully charge.
3 Store batterys in a cool place. (In warm climates put in the bottom of the deep freeze). This keeps the chemicals in a neutral state. If fully charged the battery will NOT FREEZE.
If in a cold climate Ie Northern parts, Canada northern United States just leave them in the unit. But clean and disconnected.

Above all and stressed very much. Do not store batterys in a warm area.Do not use trickle chargers as this keeps the batterys reacting internally,which shortens the life.
This info is for wet cell batterys. The dry cell batterys were not discussed so I would not recommend the same storage practice as I have no experience with them.
The biggest destroyers of batterys is heat.

This I am sure is going to create a lot of interest, but normal life for my batterys seems to average about 10years. I don't buy the most exspensive ones.
30 year old advice on battery care is as useful as an owner's manual for a 30 year old IBM Junior.

30 years ago they didn't have "smart chargers" which won't overcharge a battery.

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery