Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #1

battery mystery

I am new to this forum but have been RVing since 2008 with our 2008 Fleetwood providence DP. I have a problem that when I try to run the house on batteries alone they run down very quickly. I have tested the 4x6volt batteries with a hydrometer and also did a 100amp load test and the are good. Shore power and generator powered up works great. in my experience all fingers are pointed to my batteries but they test good. Has any one ran into this before? Need some advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought...check all your 12v connections on batteries, neg cable to ground and all connections on the inverter or converter. Make sure they are free of corrosion and metal to metal contacts. Good luck.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the inverter on and if so what do you have on that is drawing?

LEN
Old 08-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

if you have a loose connection good batteries will drop voltage across the loose connection and appear like a run dowm battery
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

Its a common mistake to grab a cheap car battery tester and try to use it on deep cycle batteries.

You have 4, 220 amp hour batteries. A 100 amp load test will not be accurate.

Break each one out and test individually. Make sure the tester can handle testing 6 volt 220 AH batteries.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

You also need to understand your power budget. How much current are you using under your "normal" loads. If you are running an inverter like you live in a S&B your battery bank is insufficient. If you are living like you have one battery in a camper you have a problem. I suspect something in between.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
A simple test you can try, is to charge up your batteries, and then physically disconnect them from the coach (pull a battery lead). If they hold their charge for a couple days, then you know it's something in the coach is suspect drawing current from them. If they drop down, then you know the batteries are suspect.
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

battery mystery

to all involved thank you. the battery posts are clean and tight throughout. I would charge up the batteries with shore power. disconnected the shore power and turned on the inverter, I then plugged in a heat gun and the voltmeter would drop from 12.6v to 9.6v instantly and would last for 30 seconds before it would trip out the inverter and show low DC. once tripped out the meter would read 12.1v. I will try charging up the batteries individually and see if they hold the charge fully disconnected for 1 week.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrver View Post
to all involved thank you. the battery posts are clean and tight throughout. I would charge up the batteries with shore power. disconnected the shore power and turned on the inverter, I then plugged in a heat gun and the voltmeter would drop from 12.6v to 9.6v instantly and would last for 30 seconds before it would trip out the inverter and show low DC. once tripped out the meter would read 12.1v. I will try charging up the batteries individually and see if they hold the charge fully disconnected for 1 week.

It's possible that some of the batteries are "good" and one or more "bad" ones are dragging the rest down. Testing them individually would isolate this.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #10

If the volt meter is on the batteries when you test, it's probable time for new ones.

If your testing on the inverter, you could have bad cables.

Dead batteries will die, sitting disconnected.
Batteries with low capacity, due to use, may not go dead but will discharge and charge back up quickly.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Dead Batteries also BUT I found I pushed wet bay heat button by mistake. Recharged now. Do an Amp draw to see if something is on.

Tags
battery